Salvage title to clean title? [Archive] - Supraforums.com

: Salvage title to clean title?

twinturbohks
02-05-2004, 04:22 PM
Is there any possible way you can get rid of a salvage title? There is one car taht i am looking at that has a salvage title because there was about 15k worth of stuff taken out and the insurance company couldn't pay for it. Anyways what are the steps that need to be taken to earn a clean title? Cost?
Thanx
Robby

Ranger498
02-05-2004, 04:40 PM
nope only way to do it is illegal.

lilphatty2227
02-05-2004, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Ranger498
nope only way to do it is illegal.

wrong.... my car had a rebuilt/salvage florida title... but when transfered to ohio, they issued a clean title..

metal0ser
02-05-2004, 04:55 PM
Yes. In the car industry it happens all the time. It's 100% legal and 100% unethical. Really irritates me when the thieves give us all a bad name. And now I'm not going to help you out doing it :)

Ranger498
02-05-2004, 05:00 PM
ok its illegal to do it that way from state to sate .

it happens because it becomes an oversight and thats it. but if you stay in the state you cant make a Salvage title to clean title.

in nj you will always have an s coding on the title s=salvage but the tital will not read salvage accross it..

RSA Supra
02-05-2004, 05:21 PM
That's why Carfax is your friend.

Ranger498
02-05-2004, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by RSA Supra
That's why Carfax is your friend. :hail:

darknezz_ghost
02-05-2004, 06:03 PM
why would you want to make it a CLEAN TITLE when the SALVAGE TITLE will still haunt you??

johnny

supraMKIVchica79
02-05-2004, 06:11 PM
wouldn't it help with better insurance or just being able to get insurance in general?

metal0ser
02-06-2004, 10:02 AM
Actually, it's legal. There are guys that buy up fleets of slavaged/flood cars at the auctions and have there operations/locations setup to expedite the process of clearing the titles.

darknezz_ghost
02-06-2004, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by supraMKIVchica79
wouldn't it help with better insurance or just being able to get insurance in general?

no it wouldn't help.. before buying a MKIV i asked my insurance company if it'll cost more to pay for a SALVAGE or CLEAN TITLE MKIV and they said it'll be the same price but it's only when it's total they'll look at the title and pay you whatever KBB says..

johnny

twinturbohks
02-06-2004, 02:28 PM
The only reason that i want to find out if a salvage title can be cleared is because i heard it really hurts the sell price if you ever want to sell it. This car has never been crashed it had stereo equipment, body kit, rims and interior pieces stolen and the insurance company salvage titled it. the guy told me that there was about 15k dollars worth of stuff stolen off the car. why would they salvage it? would it cost to much to replace all the parts or what?

ATLSUPDAWG#2
02-06-2004, 03:11 PM
The only way to change from salvage to clean is if all your work is inspected by the state. Each state is different, but it is legal, painstakingly thorough and very time consuming. Most of these inspectors don't f**k around and all your t's better be crossed and all your i's dotted. This is how it is for a wrecked or flood damaged vehicle. Now for a theft recovery I don't know if the same rules apply. I guess it would depend on what was stripped.

Ranger498
02-06-2004, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by ATLSUPDAWG#2
The only way to change from salvage to clean is if all your work is inspected by the state. Each state is different, but it is legal, painstakingly thorough and very time consuming. Most of these inspectors don't f**k around and all your t's better be crossed and all your i's dotted. This is how it is for a wrecked or flood damaged vehicle. Now for a theft recovery I don't know if the same rules apply. I guess it would depend on what was stripped.

again not in nj!
i did this years back with a motorcycle zx7 and my title went from reading in transpartent ink salvage across and not being able to drive it all even thought it was ok 100% minus some plasticks to it to having a small S on it almost unvisable even with out some plastics and able to drive it onthe street.(forgot where on the title the s is )but this was after i went through a very detailed state inspection that took a few hours same thing goes with cars.

twinturbohks
02-07-2004, 02:37 PM
so should i even bother with this car? its has 41k and is a really awesome car i just dont know if its going to be worth it if i decide to sell it one day. doesnt a salvage title cut the sell price in half? is 24k to much to pay for this car? its a 1994 tt 6 spd supra with 450+ hp full body kit. i have found 3 or 4 tt supras around the same price with about 85k miles but they dont have as many mods as this car does. should i take interest in this car or should i look elsewhere?

evo8
02-07-2004, 02:51 PM
you can never make it a clear title car, it may show clear but carfax will show otherwise. Really difficult to sell and value is at least 50% less then blue book.

metal0ser
02-07-2004, 03:31 PM
A) The value will be SHIT with the salvage title. 24K is WAY to much.
B) You can wipe all the records clean. The people that do this (wholesale fraud) for a living know what to do. Trust me. There are people that buy 25 salvaged titled cars a week. Smashed/Stolen/Flooded... Brand new with a clean title a month later...

twinturbohks
02-07-2004, 03:37 PM
ya i thought 24k was way to much also. how much would you guys pay for this car? i mean it will be impossible to talk him down into the teens just because its a tt and it has 450+hp. but i guess i should leave this car alone right? thanx

twinturbohks
02-07-2004, 03:40 PM
Heres the link to the ad on autotrader:
http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=155811354&dealer_id=&car_year=1993&make=TOYOTA&distance=any&max_price=24000&model=SUPRA&end_year=2005&advcd_on=n&min_price=0&address=30004&search_type=used&advanced=n&start_year=1993&color=&cardist=1912

twinturbohks
02-07-2004, 03:44 PM
hey ATLSUPDAWG#2 what all would they have to check to make this a clean titled car? i know the procedure is really critical with cars taht have been wrecked before, but i dont understand what they would be checking for when i go through this procedure.
Stuff Stolen:
Body Kit
Rims
Stereo 15k
so out of the stolen stuff listed what are they going to check for to give it a clean title

Silver Supra
02-07-2004, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by twinturbohks
ya i thought 24k was way to much also. how much would you guys pay for this car? i mean it will be impossible to talk him down into the teens just because its a tt and it has 450+hp. but i guess i should leave this car alone right? thanx
First, I would not pay too much for mods.
Second, I would not buy this car unless I planned to keep it a very long time.
Third, I would not buy this without a thorough check of it's history.
Fourth, I would not buy it without driving it and getting a good inspection.

If everything checked out, I would offer about $15K. If the seller doesn't want to do that - walk away. There will be another Supra.

TooSlow
02-07-2004, 07:05 PM
Exactly. I'd be willing to pay up to 16k for it, but ONLY if it was a one owner, all VIN tags were intact and identical, and the owner had complete documentation from all repair and insurance companies backing up his claims 100%. Like VickSupra said, plan to keep it a long time because you would have a terrible time getting even 15k back.

V12_SupraTT
02-07-2004, 09:23 PM
I've seen a lot of VR4s with salvage titles and dealers in the NE will sell them as clean title car. They have a few on autotrader right now as well.

-Amit B.

93HRDTOPTT
02-07-2004, 10:05 PM
Are you buying it to sell it or drive it? You said yourself that there are supras out there for the same price with more than double the mileage on them. If the car checks out properly it should be okay. If the car was hit find out where. If in the rear and it aligns correctly and was done right you should have no problems. If it was in the front think twice about it because of underlying problems.

I bought my car to drive, I don't know about anyone else?

twinturbohks
02-07-2004, 10:15 PM
ya well im really looking for a car to drive. so i was thinking that i should just walk away from this one because like Vick said there will be other supras out there. thanks for teh advice and information.
r.w.