Rear Knocking thud over bumps? [Archive] - Supraforums.com

: Rear Knocking thud over bumps?

begone
11-08-2004, 06:49 PM
Well everytime I hit a bump, theres a loud knocking noise in the rear right side. My guess is that it's the bushings. But I'm not sure. The reason why I'm asking is cause I'm taking it into Toyota tomorrow, and in the past they did not know the reason for the loud thud. What are some things I can tell them to check? Thanks guys.

Ryan_F
11-09-2004, 06:24 AM
This is my experiance. Im quite certain both upper and lower bushings are bad on my car all the way around.

With bad bushings you'll notice loud thuds when driving over most bumps. These include anything from small pavement anomalies, to changes in pavement that have a small gap or where one side of the pavement is higher than the other.

Also, with my car, I've noticed that when driving in a straight line, it will catch and pull both left and right. If you've ever driven on a dirt road with ruts it's very simillar to that, but maybe not quite as apparent.

As far as the rest of your problems go.. Sorry to hear man. Join the club though. :( I have a complete valve job to do this spring. Plus new rear tires.

begone
11-09-2004, 07:03 AM
Just got the call from the dealer, tell me if this sound right. He said it was the Rear Strut Mounts, and that they will need to be replaced. It's going to cost $688 parts and labor. Does that sound right. He said it was the bushings inside the strut mounts and that they come with the part, you can't buy them separately??? Not sure what to do.

BlackSupra93
11-09-2004, 09:15 AM
its probably the rear upper control arm bushings...and they cant be replaced seperately.

WhiteBlazze
11-09-2004, 09:35 AM
Yea....I'd give Elhurst Toyota a call and get these with our nice discount!!

Ravan17
11-09-2004, 12:18 PM
it will always cost alot to repair ure car at the dealer, they jack their prices up, but i cant complain about the quality of the work they do....

begone
11-09-2004, 12:41 PM
Well since I need to get all new tires, and the Rear Strut Mounts. I'm just going to get it done at Goodyear Auto. They do really good work where I'm at and we've been using them forever. I ordered the parts from Elmhust and they saved me about $118! Awesome, great advise Whiteblazze! Should be here either by friday or sometime next week. But it'll feel good to get rid of that horrible noise. On and I bought some rubber stops for the trunk lid. Thanks for you help guys.

Geddy Lee
11-10-2004, 05:31 AM
Buy the Goodyear F1 GS D3s. They are the best tire out there.

begone
11-10-2004, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by Geddy Lee
Buy the Goodyear F1 GS D3s. They are the best tire out there.

Well I just bought some Dunlops SP 8000. 225/50/16 Front, and 255/50/16 Rear. They feel pretty good. Alittle larger diameter in the rear, but I can live with it. They offer alot better ride then the last tires that were on there.

Khiladi1020
11-10-2004, 02:10 PM
Did replacing the rear strut mounts work? Got the same issue in my car and my mechanic mentioned the same thing. Said Toyota's are often prone to that type of wear/replacement, which I've found true anyway.

begone
11-10-2004, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Khiladi1020
Did replacing the rear strut mounts work? Got the same issue in my car and my mechanic mentioned the same thing. Said Toyota's are often prone to that type of wear/replacement, which I've found true anyway.

I'll let you know after this weekend. The parts are being shipped as we speak. If you are having this problem, I suggest buying the parts through Elmhurst. Both parts shiped for like $170! Hopefully this will fix the problem. It has been getting way out of control and annoying. I'll update when I get them installed.

BTW the new tires helped alot on noise reduction.

Verge
11-10-2004, 02:39 PM
control arm bushings on the early model n/a's make nothing remotely similar to a "thud" sound... at least in the few supra's that i have heard...

it's more of a squeaking noise

begone
11-10-2004, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Verge
control arm bushings on the early model n/a's make nothing remotely similar to a "thud" sound... at least in the few supra's that i have heard...

This isn't Control Arm Bushings were talking about. It's the Rear Strut Mounts. Completely different. Although the Rear Strut Mounts do have bushings in/on them. But you cannot change them individually from the Rear Strut Mount. It all comes together.

Verge
11-10-2004, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by begone
This isn't Control Arm Bushings were talking about. It's the Rear Strut Mounts. Completely different. Although the Rear Strut Mounts do have bushings in/on them. But you cannot change them individually from the Rear Strut Mount. It all comes together.

yea a few people out there recommending control arm bushings, just don't want you to waste your money... since i don't think that is what it is

Ryan_F
11-10-2004, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Verge

Interesting Verge. I was pretty certain there were members here that had the "thud" issue resolved with bushing replacement. What your're saying makes more sense though. It looks like I may have more than one problem with mine then.

begone
11-17-2004, 03:22 PM
Sonofabitch!!! Just got the car back from my mechanic and the Rear Strut Mounts DID NOT FIX THE THUD!!! WTF! Toyota's FULL OF SHIT!

But I guess I'm at fault too. I should have just had them do the work and so if it didn't fix the problem they would have at least warrantied the work. SO now I'm out $450 and stuck with the SAME PROBLEM!!!! I'm a DUMBASS, cause I just told my Mechanic what the problem was and to fix it. How the hell do you get that F'n sound fixed!!! IT rattles and clunks and thuds all at the same time! WTF!!!!!!!!

Kurt
11-17-2004, 08:16 PM
I have this same problem with my car. Two events happened right before the problem began. One, I got the car back from the body shop. Two, right after getting it from the body shop I installed coilovers with much stiffer springs than stock. I can't say which one started the problem. Since the problem started I have checked ALL bolts to the suspension, removed all interior in back of car incase the sound was comming from behind one of interior panels (wasn't).

Right now I'm still scratching my head and I've been so busy with school and work I haven't had a chance to mess with it anymore. This is one of the four or five things that are bugging the heck out of me with my POS car! The next thing I will check is the bump stops but from reading your story I'm less convinced that's the problem. If I find out soon I'll keep you in mind and let you know what the prob was.

begone
11-17-2004, 08:26 PM
Thanks. Please let us/me know what you find out. I'm actually taking it back to the guy so he can make his own assessment of the problem. Which I should have done in the first place. But I was convinced that Toyota Knew what the heck it was talking about. Oh well. We'll see soon enough - Hopefully.

supraman78
11-17-2004, 10:04 PM
Have you installed those new hatch rubber stops?...check your spoiler as well....maybe it's loose?...just checking everything.
If all else fails, just do what I did and get an exhaust and a new stereo that just doesn't let you hear it...hehe

mteele
11-17-2004, 11:01 PM
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=239904

Those should help :)

begone
11-18-2004, 06:48 AM
New Rubber Stops installed - Check
Spoiler tight - Check

Okay this is what happened today. I took the car back to the mechanic. First off let me tell you Toyota is Full of IT. The guy told me that the bushings in the Rear Strut Mounts were worn....THERE"S NO BUSHINGS IN THE REAR STRUT MOUNTS! I have them right here!

Anyways took the car back, let him drive it. Couldn't tell right off what it was, but then lifted it and started pulling and twisting trying to see if anything was loose. NOPE. Well then he said I'll try lubing your upper control arm, since there was a little play in it but nothing that really stood out. Alright. So I pretty much decided I had to
A: Take it back to Toyota, or
B: Take it back to this guy so he could do more tests.

Well I pull out.....no noise......alright, alright I'll wait alittle before I get my hopes up because theres some railroad tracks up ahead and more big bumps....well over the rail road tracks its loud but no distinctive thud?......go over some more bumps....it's almost GONE! The noise is actually almost GONE. You can faintly hear it on really big pot holes. But what was driving me crazy was the constant rattle and thud from the back.

So I called the guy and said I think you fixed it. And he said alright that make sense cause that upper control arm (correct me if he or I am wrong) there is no bushings there, it's mainly a ball joint, and when there's no lubrication, the ball joint knocks. MAKES SENSE TO ME! So I'm taking it back again for him to do the other side (which isn't bad at all....yet) and to do a better job on the right side. So there's a possible fix to our problems....Goodluck guys.

Geddy Lee
11-18-2004, 07:08 AM
The rear upper control arms DO have bushings. These bushings over time will warp and push themselves out. This is when you start to hear the horrible creaking from the rear end ( not really a thud ). This typically happens at about 80 K especially on the na.
In fact the replacement control arm for the na is now the TT control arm. I have been through this whole thing last year and finally replaced both upper control arms. After that I began to get more of a thumping sound in the driver side rear which got worse. It turned out to be the rear wheel bearing which also typically goes bad on the MKIV. I suggest you jack up your car grab hold of the top and bottom of the tires and see if there is any play when you push and pull toward you and away from you. I f there is play you probably need a new wheel bearing.

begone
11-18-2004, 07:57 AM
New wheel Bearing huh? I'll keep that in mind. BTW where is that? Yeah my sound wasn't a creek or crackle, it's a THUD, as if something is hitting frame of the car. I'll have the guy check or replace the Wheel Bearing just to make sure. But for now it's a quick fix it seems.

begone
12-09-2004, 11:59 AM
Well I just went ahead and took the hit by getting the work done at a Toyota Dealership. Cost me $530 but FINALLY the noise it GONE! It was the Rear Struts....NOT the Strut Mounts which I had fixed a week earlier for around $350. The rear struts (that take forever to order) were only like $99, but the labor was expensive and then you really should get it aligned afterwards. So there you go guys, if you have that Rear Thud/Knocking noise in your trunk - It's probably your Rear Struts. It's good to know....$880 dollars later...:rolleyes:

Edit: Lessons learned...take it to Toyota FIRST. Don't jack around with trying to save money and take it to other "mechanics". The Supra's a tricky car and Toyota knows how to work on them. If you don't it'll cost you more in the end like it did ME.