6l80 with tuogo wireless [Archive] - Supraforums.com

: 6l80 with tuogo wireless

Darkfred
09-18-2006, 07:36 PM
I see you currently working on installing a 4L80E. Just wondering, is a 6L80 possible or would that require major mods on transmission tunnel?

swearitsstock
09-28-2006, 01:43 AM
i read your post... got intrigued and went on my own little project

-i found the dimensions of the 6l80 trans on ls1tech
----it is very similar to the 4l60... so anywhere a 4l60 fits, a 6l80 will fit

now as far as application...
-this trans costs about $3000 right now...
-the bell cannot be cut at the pump... and pump design will not fit current plates on the market
-it weighs 206 lbs dry!!!!
-there are no converter builders currently making converters for this.. let alone hybrids
-there are no build kits or valvebodies currently available for it
-there are no shift computers that currently support it

not an option at this point.. but maybe in the near future!

Darkfred
09-29-2006, 12:51 AM
yea 6L80 is a stretch.
Well if had a full machine shop, a foundry,and a 6L80 and a donor A341, could make it work.
But I think if I had to do a full mod like that I would want the borgwarner DSC dual clutch set-up connected to a getrag six speed.

TooJayZee
10-04-2006, 10:01 AM
It can be done. Im weighing heavily on doing a custom TKO600 vs a 4l60 or 4l80e
Yes the auto is expensive but not much more so that doing a v160 and if you want an auto with OD its the way to go. You can find built trans for a little less than 3k depending on how much power you want to make. AFAIK the RMR adapter allows you to use the 4L bell housing and the use of a stock 10" TQ.

FYRARMS
10-04-2006, 01:17 PM
It can be done.:scratch: Apparently you missed the post above you...

-the bell cannot be cut at the pump... and pump design will not fit current plates on the market
-there are no converter builders currently making converters for this.. let alone hybrids
-there are no build kits or valvebodies currently available for it

TooJayZee
10-04-2006, 01:27 PM
:scratch: Apparently you missed the post above you...

Originally Posted by swearitsstock

It doesnt need to be cut if you use the RMR kit

So its heavy

You wont need a hybrid because the RMR kit allows the use of a chevy converter

[/COLOR][/COLOR]-there are no build kits or valvebodies currently available for it
Thats why you either use a TCI pcm or use a manual valvebody

TooJayZee
10-04-2006, 01:36 PM
Heres a look at the RMR adapter. It allows the use of the GM bellhousing.

http://www.rossmachineracing.com/supratransadapt.html

swearitsstock
10-04-2006, 01:46 PM
I never said it wasnt possible... i just said its not an easy option at this point

you can do it with a RMR flexplate and a custom converter (there are no converters out for this trans yet, but i know Protorque could still build you one)

the TCI shift PCM does not currently support this trans.. and there are no manual valvebodies out for it right now... but i know a trans builder that can make a custom valve body for it

so its possible.. but it would cost you an absurd amount of money

or you could wait about a year till theres more aftermarket supporft, and do it for relatively cheap... its upto you guys

--------------------------

6L80e Technical specs.

Had some questions about the basic specs on the new 6spd auto, here's some answers.

The Hydra-matic 6-Speed RWD is a fully automatic, six-speed, rear-wheel drive, electronic-controlled transmission. It consists primarily of a four-element torque converter, an integral fluid pump and converter housing, a single and double planetary gear set, friction and mechanical clutch assemblies, and a hydraulic pressurization and control system.

The transmission is equipped with DSC(Driver Shift Control) which is a "manual" mode, and utilizes rocker switches on the steering the driver may select upshifts or downshifts An upshift is requested by pushing either + button. A downshift is requested by pulling either + button rearward toward the driver.

RPO Codes
MYC

Production Location
Ypsilanti, Michigan (USA)

Transmission Drive
Rear Wheel Drive

1st Gear Ratio

2nd Gear Ratio

3rd Gear Ratio

4th Gear Ratio

5th Gear Ratio

6th Gear Ratio

Reverse

Diameter of Torque Converter Turbine
258/300 mm

Pressure Taps
Line Pressure

Transmission Fluid Type
Dexron VI

Transmission Fluid Capacity
9.54 L (10.08 qt) - 6CDA

9.71 L (10.27 qt) - 6CZA

11.92 L (12.60 qt) - 6CYA

Transmission Type: 6
Six Forward Gears

Transmission Type: L
Longitude Mount

Transmission Type: 80
Product Series

Position Quadrant
P, R, N, D, S (some models)

Case Material
Die Cast Aluminum

Transmission Net Weight
95.1 kg (209.7 lb) - 6CDA

96.7 kg (213.2 lb) - 6CZA

103.7 kg (228.6 lb) - 6CYA

TooJayZee
10-04-2006, 03:02 PM
[QUOTE=swearitsstock]I never said it wasnt possible... i just said its not an easy option at this point

I was replying to fyrarms post.

you can do it with a RMR flexplate and a custom converter (there are no converters out for this trans yet, but i know Protorque could still build you one)

The chevy torque converter that is made to mate to the 4L will bolt to the RMR flexplate.

the TCI shift PCM does not currently support this trans.. and there are no manual valvebodies out for it right now... but i know a trans builder that can make a custom valve body for it
According to TCI the PCU does work with the 4L http://www.tciauto.com/Products/Electronics/

6L80e Technical specs.

Now that would be SICK !

TooJayZee
10-04-2006, 03:09 PM
BTW ATI makes a trans adapter now too http://www.atiperformanceproducts.com/products/adapterk/akit.htm

swearitsstock
10-04-2006, 04:36 PM
[QUOTE=swearitsstock]
According to TCI the PCU does work with the 4L http://www.tciauto.com/Products/Electronics/

6L80e Technical specs.

Now that would be SICK !

double checked in the TCI Computer.. it does NOT support the 6l80e.. it can only control the 4l80e, it doesnt yet have the inputs to control 6speeds... it will however hvae it in the next software update (within the next month or so)

The chevy torque converter that is made to mate to the 4L will bolt to the RMR flexplate.
yes but this will not work with the 6l80e... it uses a different converter.. due to it having a different input shaft

Sound Performance
10-04-2006, 04:46 PM
The AEM EMS can control a 6 speed..... :)

swearitsstock
10-04-2006, 04:47 PM
The AEM EMS can control a 6 speed..... :)
get off the forums and call me back already

TooJayZee
10-04-2006, 05:01 PM
[QUOTE=TooJayZee]

double checked in the TCI Computer.. it does NOT support the 6l80e.. it can only control the 4l80e, it doesnt yet have the inputs to control 6speeds... it will however hvae it in the next software update (within the next month or so)

yes but this will not work with the 6l80e... it uses a different converter.. due to it having a different input shaft

WOW ! I need to put the crack pipe down and step away from the computer.
I did not read any of the initial post correctly at all I transposed the numbers. I thought we were talking about the 4L60 not the 6L80 :doh: Sorry guys

Uh I think im going to stick with the older style gm trans for and bow out semi gracefully now...

swearitsstock
10-04-2006, 11:46 PM
[QUOTE=swearitsstock]

WOW ! I need to put the crack pipe down and step away from the computer.
I did not read any of the initial post correctly at all I transposed the numbers. I thought we were talking about the 4L60 not the 6L80 :doh: Sorry guys

Uh I think im going to stick with the older style gm trans for and bow out semi gracefully now...

its all good.. happens to the best of us! it added alot to the thread though since now people know the exact detailed reasons of why it is or isnt possible

Darkfred
10-05-2006, 06:30 PM
wow such interest!
Check out http://www.powertraincontrolsolutions.com/content-4.html
They are in development for a 6L80 controller.
Also check this paddle shifters!http://www.twistmachine.com/links/
For use with above said controller transmission and AEM!

Yea baby! Total cost when they are done with development maybe
$5 to 6K for intallation project. Would be pretty cool to have a paddle shifted 6 speed with multiple automatic shift modes (power, econo, and so on)

One can dream! But then if I really want to go fast I should take up flying.
Just got a darn ticket last night. Nothing big 71 in a 60 $122 for ticket. My first speeding ticket in 18 years.

TooJayZee
10-05-2006, 06:33 PM
Questions are these.
Where can you purchase a 6L80 and how much ?
Can it hold the power of a mildly built 2JZ in stock form ?

Darkfred
10-05-2006, 06:36 PM
6l80 is a late model corvette tranny, loosly based on the th400. Th400 is thranny that the drag 1000hp supras use.
6l80 costs about $3k

DBZ33
10-08-2006, 01:26 AM
I want this right now!!!

Dangerzone
02-07-2008, 10:38 AM
Back from the dead- interesting that I found this now as I've been trying to figure out a solution myself. Any new ideas with this?

XCELR8
02-07-2008, 02:31 PM
If a kit for this existed for the supra with suitable buildup of tranny (I think it's already rated to a bit beyond 500 lb-ft), it's be on my soon to install list.

swearitsstock
02-07-2008, 08:28 PM
the newer 6L80-Es have the TCM in the actual pan... so its looking better as a retrofit

however i still cant seem to find a controller for the trans... and there definitely isnt a manual valvebody out for it

Dangerzone
02-09-2008, 12:17 PM
pcs is working on a controller ATM. I know an AEM can control a 6 speed but I know there's a lot of people that would refuse to use an AEM. Honestly I just want a fast shifting paddle shifted 6 speed. Interesting about the internal PCM...

swearitsstock
02-09-2008, 12:56 PM
pcs is working on a controller ATM. I know an AEM can control a 6 speed but I know there's a lot of people that would refuse to use an AEM. Honestly I just want a fast shifting paddle shifted 6 speed. Interesting about the internal PCM...

i want a manual valvebody to come out for it

a manually shifted 6spd auto :agreed:

Dangerzone
02-10-2008, 08:35 AM
I hear that! I have to imagine within a year or so we should start seeing a lot more for it- the biggest market for gm autos (in non oem applications of course) is and always has been hotrodders which as we all know are primarily old guys that spare no expense on their cars. Now who wouldn't want a 6 speed '32 ford? Should be a huge market for these things. I'd also much rather plunk down the large amount of cash I know this is going to cost up front than keep buying or rebuilding triple disc clutches every 5-10k miles.

SupraQuinn
02-10-2008, 10:26 AM
what would be the biggest diffrence between a manually shifted 6spd auto and a transmission like this one: http://www.powerhouseracing.com/Templates/frmtemplateM7.asp?SubFolderID=24&SearchYN=N

Quikturbo
02-10-2008, 10:57 AM
Just was kicking around and talked to some others in the industry about the paddle shifting option. I stumbled across this
http://www.retrotekspeed.com/products/smart-shift/smart-shift-with-f1-paddles/paddles-9-bolt.html

The paddle shifting conversation came up the other day in a conversation so it peaked my interest :)

Anyways, I thought it looked interesting.

Chris

Dangerzone
02-10-2008, 12:55 PM
Hah discovered that a LONG while back when I was considering other trans options. Most interesting thing with that is the keypad in place of a traditional shifter- think e-gear. I shot them an e-mail a while back and they said it will mount with a toyota hub. So e-gear supra? :agreed: