Supra Forums banner

Turbo charging my 5mge

5K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  quick 
G
#1 ·
I plan on turbo charging my '82 supra, soo any info would be helpful for this project. Im looking for a good boost.

#2 ·
I am looking to do the same just for fun if I just dont drop a whole new motor in it like a 2jz. But just to warn you its like prolly close to 4 grand minimal for this. You most likely need an intercooler "which makes it so expensive". But If I am wrong please correct...

#3 ·
Simplest cheapest turbo conversion is using a MkIII turbo setup on MkII. Cost here is really dependent on what you pay for parts. Best web site for this is;

http://geocities.com/aarongarney/5mgte.html

The MkII list can probably fill in all the blanks. The 1st thing I'd do is make sure you engine is up to spec. Any problems you have with the engine aren't going to be helped with the addition of a turbo. The other thing to do is to sit back and see what you kind of power goals you have in mind. If 200-230 rwhp is all you're after turboing the 5m/6m is probably the way to go. If you're after more hp the 7m is probably the way to go. There's much better fuel management on the 7M. The 2JZ is probably the best if you're after mega hp or uniqueness. Also a word of warning the headgasket on the 5/6m will probably become a weak point. Staying a the stock 6-8 psi range shouldn't be a problem. It seems like everyone on the MkII list that turbos the 5/6m blow the headgasket eventually, the metal gasket is the solution.

#4 ·
Whoa, 4 grand?? Tell me you're kidding!

I'm about to embark on Project 6M-GTE. Costs so far:
- 7M-GTE turbo and manifold: AUD$150
- Aristo intercooler: approx AUD$200
- lots of 2.5" pipe (including pre-bent stuff): ~AUD$50
- several sections of 2.5" silicone hose: TBA (not much though)

Add to this some minor mods to the exhaust to hook it up to the turbo dump pipe, and there you have it. Such a setup will be limited to 5-6psi boost before the fuel system maxes out, but that will still be one fast Supra! If you want to crank the boost up a little more, you can get a rising rate fuel pressure regulator and still be WAY under 4 grand. Hell, I'd be amazed if I spent much more than $500 on this project!

G
#5 ·
Just to add my two cents:
A couple of years back one of the fastest 1/4 mile Supras in the world, of *all* generations of Supra, was a MkII with a 6M mototr in it. The 5M and the 6M have a lot in common (more than the 6M has in common with the 7M.) ...now that 10sec Mk2 has a massive turbo and nitrous, but it says something that that combination took on all MkIII's and IV's and beat them (the Las Vegas get together.) I've read that fewer but bigger valves work better when turboed than say, 4 vales per cylinder does.

If the 5M and the 6M had been developed for racing and high performance like the later Supras have been, the MkII's would be kicking all of their asses (with similar hp.) I'm waiting to lear more about the conversion... and I hate to wait. I'll have to read everything Norbie posts for a few months :)

#6 · (Edited)
$1500 to turn a stock MkII into a 5M-GTE making 209 hp at the rear wheels and 230 ftl/lbs of torque. Anyone telling you $4k is a fool/hasn't looked at used parts.

...and that MkII (Russ Matusevich) was a purpose-built drag car with a GM 2spd Powerglide tranny inside... not a 6M, but a 5M with a huge turbo and nitrous IIRC.

Joel Tanzman has a purpose-build car very similar ... runs 9s.

MkIIs have a GT suspension stock... with equal drivers they can't hang on a road course with a sports car... but they kick ass and are a good time to drive. Now if you heavily modify the suspension... then it would be another story IMO.

G
#7 ·
Everytime I look at your signature pic, quick, I lust after your white 94' turbo. It looks extremely bitchen from the side like that.
Years and years ago I printed out all the MkII stuff I could from the public library microfich.(sp?) Back in the day there were a few companies adding turbos to the MkII 5M. One was Spearco, and their installed price was $2300 (they did the instal.) Another source was Reeves Callaway, of all people. His installation was pretty mild. Another guy doing this mod professionally was Gary Lo Pinto, though remember this was about a decade ago.
0-60 times in all cases were nothing to write home about, and none of the above examples touched over 200hp.

#8 ·
MRael said:
Everytime I look at your signature pic, quick, I lust after your white 94' turbo. It looks extremely bitchen from the side like that.

Years and years ago I printed out all the MkII stuff I could from the public library microfich.(sp?) Back in the day there were a few companies adding turbos to the MkII 5M. One was Spearco, and their installed price was $2300 (they did the instal.) Another source was Reeves Callaway, of all people. His installation was pretty mild. Another guy doing this mod professionally was Gary Lo Pinto, though remember this was about a decade ago.
0-60 times in all cases were nothing to write home about, and none of the above examples touched over 200hp.
Thanks, man. I need to retake so that the MkII is in proper view and the headlight doesn't look wierd. :)

I've been meaning to compliment you on your avatar pic... you take good pics. Better than me with my dig. camera... I need to take a class or something.

I actually owned an 82 Spearco for about two weeks before I resold it... Chad Zemer owns it now, and I believe he's making something like 200 rwhp after fixing some issues with it.

Aaron Garney's setup made 209 rwhp at 8psi IIRc.

#13 ·
Russ' car was a 5M, but with a 7M crank in it, so it's actually kinda a 6M hybrid wannabe. And his fastest time to date was below the 10's, I think around 9.7 (without nos). He also claims it was streetable, although I doubt he drove there too often, if at all :)

#16 ·
_HOT_M16 said:
mk2 in back :(

looks better, but still does not show off the true grace of the mk2

the mk4 looks nice, but make the mk2 almost like a mirror image of it on the other side
That was the plan, but there wasn't enough room in the frickin' driveway and I didn't want to screw with it... :)

http://communities.msn.com/quicks1985celicasupra/mgss.msnw

...there are the pics of the two together... light wasn't too good that evening as it was later so that's why I went with the one I selected.

I'm pleased with the results though... due respect is payed to the MkII... (and more than before).

#19 ·
SloppyGoat said:
Those seem to be jpg's with a tif extension though. They won't open until I dnld them and change the extension. :p Both are very sharp cars though. :cool:
Thanks for the compliments. :cool:

Interesting. I don't have any viewing issues... Are you using IE 6? Perhaps Netscape is misbehaving?

Yep. I download them from the camera as tifs and them upload them... MSN converts them for me... very nice setup they have -- for free. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.