Why Pennzoil sucks [Archive] - Supraforums.com

: Why Pennzoil sucks

Racefiend
07-15-2007, 06:23 PM
I think the pictures speak for themselves. Any car I've seen that runs this shit looks like this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v339/Racefiend/Misc/IMG_1023.jpg

And here is what the inside of the valve covers look like AFTER I tried to clean them with some serious cleaner.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v339/Racefiend/Misc/IMG_1022.jpg

The PO of my car used Jiffy Lube for oil changes...AAAACK!

Craig King
07-15-2007, 06:40 PM
I run Mobil 1 synthetic, but I've never heard anything bad about Penzoil. I would have to say it has more to do with how often you got oil changes than what kind of oil was used.

2jZ-gT3PWNS
07-15-2007, 06:46 PM
It doesnt look too too terrible, depending on how many miles are on the engine, im guessing its pretty high?

Racefiend
07-15-2007, 06:51 PM
100k on the car. PO did regular changes too. It's the oil. I've run Nothing but Castrol dino on all my cars, and all had shiny bare metal inside. Even my old T-Bird which I put 320k miles on, was spic-n-span clean when I changed the HG's at around 300k. And I once went 60k without changing the oil (It's a Ford, no big deal :) )

michaelvanle
07-15-2007, 07:33 PM
What makes you conclude that it's Pennzoil?

vpower
07-15-2007, 08:08 PM
He mentioned that the oil changes were done at Jiffy Lube, by default most use Penzoil. I had once meet with an guy who tested oil and fuel at a lab and said that Penzoil is the worst oil sold and Mobil( regular) was by far the best.

Deathscythe
07-15-2007, 11:19 PM
amsoil for the win.

Boost Junkie
07-16-2007, 08:19 AM
On the other hand, my Dad had a GMC 4X4 that he used as a work truck, rotinely pulled a 13,000 pound trailer with it and generally worked the hell out of that truck, and it was still running great at 260K miles on Pennzoil (original 350 c.i. engine showing no particular signs of problems). Perhaps it was actually Pennzoil that they used in your engine, or perhaps not. Perhaps it was the oil's fault, perhaps not. Perhaps they've changed Pennzoil for the worse since the 90s when my Dad's truck had such good results on Pennszoil. Hard to say....

2jZ-gT3PWNS
07-16-2007, 03:30 PM
Wow, who in their right mind takes their TT MK4 to jiffy lube?

Racefiend
07-16-2007, 03:42 PM
On the other hand, my Dad had a GMC 4X4 that he used as a work truck, rotinely pulled a 13,000 pound trailer with it and generally worked the hell out of that truck, and it was still running great at 260K miles on Pennzoil (original 350 c.i. engine showing no particular signs of problems). Perhaps it was actually Pennzoil that they used in your engine, or perhaps not. Perhaps it was the oil's fault, perhaps not. Perhaps they've changed Pennzoil for the worse since the 90s when my Dad's truck had such good results on Pennszoil. Hard to say....

Well, the fact that he used Jiffy Lube, the fact that I pulled a Pennzoil filter out on the first change, and the fact that I've seen the same burnt oil deposits on other Pennzoil cars was enough for me to conclude this car ran Pennzoil. While I don't doubt an engine can last long using Pennzoil, the fact that it produces these burnt deposits when others don't can't be good, especially if you run for extended periods between oil changes. Did your dad ever take the engine apart and look inside? Did it look like this?

Deusdeceptor
07-16-2007, 05:00 PM
I dont think it matters which oil you use if you change it every 3k.

I think this is a case of JIFFY LUBE not changing the OIL FILTER to save time and money that is the culprit.

Dino Oil, if changed exactly every 3k, doesnt really make any difference as long as you drive it normally.

At my old workplace, we had a 96 Honda Civic EX 4d Auto with 920,000 original miles on the car (same engine, tranny, and starter). The customer started going to us when he hit 80,000 miles and came in every week to get his oil changed. We used EXXON Mobil from 80k-300k. Since oil prices shot up, in order to keep our prices low, we had to switch to PEPBOY"s Proline Oil. His engine/cams/head is still "Cooking Oil" clean at 920k.

Deusdeceptor
07-16-2007, 05:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiCAJ8ULnaI

azteamextreme
07-16-2007, 06:42 PM
dam

Boost Junkie
07-17-2007, 07:24 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiCAJ8ULnaI

OWNED! Nice to have some proof, but ANYONE who believes that such things don't happen ALL THE TIME just doesn't understand people. When you offer someone the opportunity to get paid for work that they don't actually have to do (the situation with many automotive 'preventative maintenance' prodedures), what do you think will happen in lots of cases???

Boost Junkie
07-17-2007, 07:27 AM
Well, the fact that he used Jiffy Lube, the fact that I pulled a Pennzoil filter out on the first change, and the fact that I've seen the same burnt oil deposits on other Pennzoil cars was enough for me to conclude this car ran Pennzoil. While I don't doubt an engine can last long using Pennzoil, the fact that it produces these burnt deposits when others don't can't be good, especially if you run for extended periods between oil changes. Did your dad ever take the engine apart and look inside? Did it look like this?

It's been about 20 years since I saw inside engines that used Pennzoil, but the 4 or 5 Pennzoil engines that I took apart back in the day were perfectly clean. My Dad's engine was never apart, so I don't know what that one looked like. Back in the day, Quaker State was the oil that would most often show a lot of deposits. Pennzoil and Castrol were good. I don't know if that's changed or not.

Also, Who says that Jiffy Lube *actually* put Pennzoil in the OP's car? :)

wusaint36
07-17-2007, 01:34 PM
OWNED! Nice to have some proof, but ANYONE who believes that such things don't happen ALL THE TIME just doesn't understand people. When you offer someone the opportunity to get paid for work that they don't actually have to do (the situation with many automotive 'preventative maintenance' prodedures), what do you think will happen in lots of cases???

I somewhat agree. It all comes down to the technician though. As a tech myself Ive seen it happen alot. It not only happens at half assed places like Pep Boys and Jiffy Lube though. My first shop was a Toyota dealership and while I was there I witnessed several people do stuff like this. Things like selling a power steering pressure line job and not doing the work. Instead they simply put the $200 line in their box and sent the car on its way after half assed doing a 90k service. Thats just one of the incidents I witnessed at this shop. After graduating school I had a short employment with Pep Boys and ended up leaving cause of all the sly shit I saw going on there. The worst part about Pep Boys was that the guys who did most of this were praised for flagging so many hours. I mean one of these guys supposedly flags 120 hours a week. Any technician will tell you this is impossible. So I left there in pursuit of a dealership environment again. Im now happily employed with a very small Mitsubishi shop and I love it. All the techs are intelligent honest guys that hardly ever mis diagnose a problem and always do every bit of service they sell. So to kind of bring this to a close it all comes down to honest people and it pisses me off that such dumb asses are employed in my line of work because it makes us all look bad as a whole.

Getting back to the Penzoil comment I have never witnessed this due to a specific oil. Its ususally lack of maintenance or high mileage. How about doing and engine flush once in awhile. Also Im a big believer in synthetic oil (only Mobil 1 in my car). Between flushing my engine and only using synthetic oil you can pull the dip stick on my car even right before an oil change and its still clean. Even with over 150k on it.

supras=sanity
07-17-2007, 01:53 PM
I use pennzoil, don't have that problem.

Boost Junkie
07-17-2007, 02:07 PM
I somewhat agree. It all comes down to the technician though. As a tech myself Ive seen it happen alot. It not only happens at half assed places like Pep Boys and Jiffy Lube though. My first shop was a Toyota dealership and while I was there I witnessed several people do stuff like this. Things like selling a power steering pressure line job and not doing the work. Instead they simply put the $200 line in their box and sent the car on its way after half assed doing a 90k service. Thats just one of the incidents I witnessed at this shop. After graduating school I had a short employment with Pep Boys and ended up leaving cause of all the sly shit I saw going on there. The worst part about Pep Boys was that the guys who did most of this were praised for flagging so many hours. I mean one of these guys supposedly flags 120 hours a week. Any technician will tell you this is impossible. So I left there in pursuit of a dealership environment again. Im now happily employed with a very small Mitsubishi shop and I love it. All the techs are intelligent honest guys that hardly ever mis diagnose a problem and always do every bit of service they sell. So to kind of bring this to a close it all comes down to honest people and it pisses me off that such dumb asses are employed in my line of work because it makes us all look bad as a whole.

Getting back to the Penzoil comment I have never witnessed this due to a specific oil. Its ususally lack of maintenance or high mileage. How about doing and engine flush once in awhile. Also Im a big believer in synthetic oil (only Mobil 1 in my car). Between flushing my engine and only using synthetic oil you can pull the dip stick on my car even right before an oil change and its still clean. Even with over 150k on it.

True, and it's not limited to auto repair shops. Every industry or vocation has its bad apples. Whenever there is opportunity to scam people, there's someone willing to do it. And it seems to have gotten worse over the past 25 years or so as sooo many people seem to believe in situational ethics these days. There are way too many people who think it's okay to do whatever you can get away with -- that's it's the other guy's duty to look out for himself and not get scammed or lied to.

Steve Theodore
07-19-2007, 10:37 AM
I'm actually pretty surprised that anyone runs dino oil in their Supra TTs. I use Amsoil in even my daily drivers! ;)

I would also assume that any conventional oil should perform adequately over a 3000 mile (non racing) period of time...I'm just surprised that any Supra TT owners would use conventional oil since we all know the benefits of a quality synthetic.