Which way does the Radiator Fan blows?? [Archive] - Supraforums.com

: Which way does the Radiator Fan blows??

Trinh
05-21-2002, 12:23 AM
so..i about to install an electric fan kit for my MKIV...and i'm thinking

..which way does it blow?

should it blow air towards the radiator? but if it doesn't wouldn't it cancel out the air coming in for the outside??

or should it blow towards the motor?? sucking air from the outside to cool the radiator??

what do you guys think??

thanks

Scott
05-21-2002, 02:30 AM
The fan should pull air from outside the car through the radiator into the engince compartment.

Mary-Kate Olsen
05-21-2002, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by Scott
The fan should pull air from outside the car through the radiator into the engince compartment.

No, no, no that is wrong. You need to blow air towards to radiator. Then you will create a pocket vortex that super cools the radiator.

Trinh
05-21-2002, 10:04 AM
THat's what i thought...it should blow air into the radiator to keep it cool.

anyone else on this to comfirm??

RSA Supra
05-21-2002, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by Mary-Kate Olsen

No, no, no that is wrong. You need to blow air towards to radiator. Then you will create a pocket vortex that super cools the radiator.

Oh, God! That answer sucks! To correctly create a pocket Vortex, you need fans directly lined up with eachother pulling and pushing.

In all seriousness... The stock fan sucks/draws air through the radiator at lower speed. At high speed it doens't do a lot of work because air is being forced through the radiator. If you replace it with electric fans (which may or may not be worthwhile) you will want them to draw air though the radiator just the same.

Trinh
05-21-2002, 05:27 PM
okay..

so now i'm offically confused. anyone else have any insites on this? this is starting to bug me. cant' seem to get the logics right.

RSA Supra
05-23-2002, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by RSA Supra
In all seriousness... The stock fan sucks/draws air through the radiator at lower speed. At high speed it doens't do a lot of work because air is being forced through the radiator. If you replace it with electric fans (which may or may not be worthwhile) you will want them to draw air though the radiator just the same.

The fans need to draw/suck/pull air through the radiator.

Mary-Kate Olsen
05-23-2002, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by RSA Supra
The fans need to draw/suck/pull air through the radiator.

Yes this is true. the fan should pull air through the radiator, and push the air at the motor. (my first post here was a joke, sorry if I confused you)

ToyotaCivic9
05-23-2002, 03:16 PM
IT blows into the engine. away from the radiator toward the rear of the car. It would be impossible for the fan to blow toward the radiator becuse while you drive forward theair form the ouside blows into the engine if it blew the other way it would stop new air from coming inside the engine and your engine would overheat and a belt would probably snap becuse of the incoming air pressure placed upon the fan. Try not to insall the fan backwards or most likely you would be paying for many repair costs from the cost of the fan.

Trinh
05-23-2002, 08:01 PM
yah...that seems right now. i see how that works.

thanks everyone for your imputs. i can sleep now.

teo