Questions: ProEFI - 128 vs ProEFI - 48 on a Supra [Archive] - Supraforums.com

: Questions: ProEFI - 128 vs ProEFI - 48 on a Supra

OEM Turbo
10-08-2008, 06:57 PM
I have read every single post on the ProEFI 128. Its being pushed hard by you guys over at SP which is great cause I'm local to you guys. Sounds like a phenomenal ecu and I have no doubt in my mind that I would pick up a ProEFI 128 unit for my Supra over the competition. I have a next to stock MKIV 6-Speed supra. I really want to hear about the ProEFI 48. Apparently the 350z's that have been using it are making very good horsepower numbers. I contacted Jason Siebels over at ProEFI and said,

"The main difference between the 128 and 48 is traction control capabilities and variable cam capabilities. If you don’t really need either of those two, the 48 is a very capable cost effective unit."

So I while I see that the 128 will do an incredible job even over the competition and I dont need traction control and I dont have VVT-i. Why cant I save some money and run the 48? If my car is daily driven on the weekends and I race it from time to time as an amateur.

I think my main question is, what am I really loosing and why do you push the ProEFi 128 so much for the MKIV Supra? Why not the ProEFi 48 as a cost effective solution over the AEM? With still the adaptive learning features and such?

Thank you.

OEM Turbo
10-09-2008, 06:32 PM
No one?

Sound Performance
10-10-2008, 08:29 AM
I have read every single post on the ProEFI 128. Its being pushed hard by you guys over at SP which is great cause I'm local to you guys. Sounds like a phenomenal ecu and I have no doubt in my mind that I would pick up a ProEFI 128 unit for my Supra over the competition. I have a next to stock MKIV 6-Speed supra. I really want to hear about the ProEFI 48. Apparently the 350z's that have been using it are making very good horsepower numbers. I contacted Jason Siebels over at ProEFI and said,

"The main difference between the 128 and 48 is traction control capabilities and variable cam capabilities. If you donít really need either of those two, the 48 is a very capable cost effective unit."

So I while I see that the 128 will do an incredible job even over the competition and I dont need traction control and I dont have VVT-i. Why cant I save some money and run the 48? If my car is daily driven on the weekends and I race it from time to time as an amateur.

I think my main question is, what am I really loosing and why do you push the ProEFi 128 so much for the MKIV Supra? Why not the ProEFi 48 as a cost effective solution over the AEM? With still the adaptive learning features and such?

Thank you.

We mainly push the 128 unit because most Supra guys want the world, and the moon too! :) The 48 is perfectly capable if you don't mind the boost control strategy being more 'basic', and don't need the traction control capabilities. The 48 doesn't have vehicle speed input, so you can't do boost control against vehicle speed. It does allow for more than one boost setting. Fueling is semi-sequential...not batch as some would have you believe. It works great in the Z's, and I know ProEFI has installed a few of the 48's on Supra's as well. If you budget calls for it, the 48 is still an excellent choice!

OEM Turbo
10-10-2008, 02:25 PM
Thank you very much for your informative reply. I am happy to know that it is possible. Yes, your very right sir, we Supra owners want freaking everything. When I didnt hear back from you guys, I was starting to get my bills paid faster so that I can afford the ProEFI 128. hahaha. Either go big or go home. haha.

But I do have a couple questions as far as the ProEFi 48 on the MKIV Supra. I noticed that the ProEFI 48 on the Z's are used in conjunction with the stock ecu so that they can maintain their variable valve timing from factory. But with a MKIV Supra the ProEFi 48 would be a full standalone and the factory ecu is taken out? Or is it used as a bad ass piggyback? Sorry if its a stupid question, but I'm trying to see the big picture here. Also, does it still have adaptive learning capabilities and fail safes? Can I have multiple maps on it for pump gas, race, or water/meth pump then an automatic fail safe to pump in the event of an error? Or are these feature's solely for the 128?

OEM Turbo
10-13-2008, 08:03 PM
???

Sound Performance
10-16-2008, 09:08 AM
Thank you very much for your informative reply. I am happy to know that it is possible. Yes, your very right sir, we Supra owners want freaking everything. When I didnt hear back from you guys, I was starting to get my bills paid faster so that I can afford the ProEFI 128. hahaha. Either go big or go home. haha.

But I do have a couple questions as far as the ProEFi 48 on the MKIV Supra. I noticed that the ProEFI 48 on the Z's are used in conjunction with the stock ecu so that they can maintain their variable valve timing from factory. But with a MKIV Supra the ProEFi 48 would be a full standalone and the factory ecu is taken out? Or is it used as a bad ass piggyback? Sorry if its a stupid question, but I'm trying to see the big picture here. Also, does it still have adaptive learning capabilities and fail safes? Can I have multiple maps on it for pump gas, race, or water/meth pump then an automatic fail safe to pump in the event of an error? Or are these feature's solely for the 128?

Sorry for the delayed response. The 48 will still remove the factory ECU on the Supra, so it is a full stand alone ecu.

redtwins
10-17-2008, 08:39 AM
What's the price difference? Also, can I reuse my 5 bar map sensor and GM IAT sensor from my current AEM EMS set-up? Looking for the bottom dollar amount to get me up and running. Just need the ProEFI 48 & wiring harness.

Sound Performance
10-22-2008, 09:56 PM
What's the price difference? Also, can I reuse my 5 bar map sensor and GM IAT sensor from my current AEM EMS set-up? Looking for the bottom dollar amount to get me up and running. Just need the ProEFI 48 & wiring harness.

You can use your current sensors. Please call the shop for a price quote.

makaveli200369
10-31-2008, 10:53 AM
The Pro128 also has 12 seq injector outputs and I believe 16 ignition coil outputs. This thing is what I've been dreaming about for controller a V12

dkgoodrich
04-02-2009, 12:58 AM
I want one of these.. I will call soon. I have questions about a 3 step and gear dependent boost.

859-421-3334

n disgii
06-12-2010, 11:47 AM
We mainly push the 128 unit because most Supra guys want the world, and the moon too! :) The 48 is perfectly capable if you don't mind the boost control strategy being more 'basic', and don't need the traction control capabilities. The 48 doesn't have vehicle speed input, so you can't do boost control against vehicle speed. It does allow for more than one boost setting. Fueling is semi-sequential...not batch as some would have you believe. It works great in the Z's, and I know ProEFI has installed a few of the 48's on Supra's as well. If you budget calls for it, the 48 is still an excellent choice!

Is this info still accurate at this point in time? I am trying to get the ProEFI info out there a little bit on the MR2 forums as well, and we are trying to figure out all the differences between the 128 and the 48. I am thinkng that they will want the 48 pricewise, but I want to know what will be given up with it. Would you mind summarizing in detail ALL of the differences between the 128 and 48 currently, all in one place, in this thread, with a detailed response? It would be very helpful to many. Here is the thread I am talking about on MR2OC that got started about the ProEFI:

http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?p=4359206#post4359206

Thanks for your help!

Hurrakaine
12-16-2011, 07:47 PM
Anyone running the Pro48? Can it be used on automatic supras?

Sound Performance
12-17-2011, 06:46 PM
Anyone running the Pro48? Can it be used on automatic supras?

Sorry but there is no automatic transmission control on the 48 unit.

Milon
01-27-2012, 09:13 AM
Is there a link to where we can see all the differences in the ProEFI 48 and ProEFI 128? I see that there was no response to n disgii's post...

Hurrakaine
01-28-2012, 01:49 AM
Is there a link to where we can see all the differences in the ProEFI 48 and ProEFI 128? I see that there was no response to n disgii's post...

http://www.proefi.com/Pro48_ECU.html

http://www.proefi.com/Pro_128_ECU.html

I really think the Pro48 would work for most of us, but I intend, well I did at least plan to run E85. Oh, and the traction control sigh.

str8dum1
01-28-2012, 06:01 PM
you can still run E85 on the 48 box. You just need the Zeitronix ECA to change the signal from the content sensor to 0-5V

SilverAWD
04-11-2012, 11:21 AM
Sorry but there is no automatic transmission control on the 48 unit.

Damn!

mk3motley
10-10-2012, 09:31 PM
Hate to bump a old thread, but looking for a bit more experience/info on the 48.

quickgs
10-11-2012, 10:02 AM
Hate to bump a old thread, but looking for a bit more experience/info on the 48.

+1000 on this^^^^^

Sound Performance
10-11-2012, 10:49 AM
I have only installed one, runs fine but in my opinion the 128 is worth the extra few bucks!

Hurrakaine
10-23-2012, 06:30 PM
It seems that the Lexus guys are using the ProEFI 48 system in conjunction with the stock ecu, and they are using it with auto transmission cars. What's not allowing us to do the same?

knucklesson1
10-24-2012, 05:41 PM
I run a 48 on an MR2, with flex fuel...don't waste your time with the 48. It's proefi's stepchild. There is zero support for it unless there is a big request from a vendor (nissan VQ). From what I gathered, support is based on what their volume dealers request. Example, I asked proefi for the update that would allow the 128 to run more fuel at start up for E85 cold start because I saw a SP post about it. ProEfi told me no. Its only available for 128. I read that ProEfi did a work around for the VQ platform to use traction control on the 48 with the cars CAN system. I asked if they would do a work around for a digital to voltage converter since the MR2 already has abs wheel sensors...the answer was no. Buy the 128. Needless to say...I wish I had the money to just buy the 128.
SP has great support for the 128, you'd be in great hands, I'd get it from them.

Sound Performance
10-24-2012, 06:03 PM
I agree. I only sell the 48 units as a last resort. They work great dont get me wrong but I am so spoiled with the 128s and the price diff is not that big!

quickgs
10-24-2012, 07:57 PM
^^Really? not everyone wants to spend /afford 3500 on standalone.

So what Proefi rather lose custumers instead of working with what they have /want?

I was ready to make the switch from my V1 but i felt like i was being push too hard on the 128 that's i decided to go a diffrent direction.

I can't tell you how many times i'VE talked to Adam and Jason over the phone and exchanged emails back and forth ...

quickgs
07-31-2013, 08:01 AM
Larry for someone who doesn't care about the TC, or FF what who you recommend?

Me and 2 of my buddys making the switch, the other guy has the 128 and every sensor and gauge.

At first i didn't wanna do it because of tuning but now i found a tuner not far from me, OR We'll fly someone to tune all 3 cars.

What are the cons of the 48?

Northstar
07-31-2013, 08:27 AM
I would answer but I think you would rather have Larry reply so I will quote him when I did my ProEFI 48 vs. 128 pro and cons... I ended up getting the 128 though.

You do not get knock control, built in wide band, speed inputs, flex fuel sensor input etc. It will work fine though, Ive done a few but I always recommend the 128.

Well you are not going to get traction control or knock control with a 48 but you still get everything else like boost control, fault management and flex fuel. The 128 kit is only $350 more than an aem v2 which I feel is a bargain for all that you get over the aem. The reliability factor and safety features are more than worth the difference!

Oh and Quickgs... don't forget to ask for Special Pricing...

And of course anyone ditching an AEM unit for ProEFI gets special pricing per Jason LOL

I promise Larry I don't stalk you.. ..yet... lol jk!

quickgs
07-31-2013, 08:35 AM
Thank You Ryan!

Decision..decision.

DentGuy
07-31-2013, 09:22 AM
Just do the 128 box and call it a day. There is way more to this platform than just flexfuel and traction control.

isifmobile
07-31-2013, 11:00 AM
ProEfi 48 only has 4 injector drivers. vs 12 for the 128 is another difference.

xtoefield
07-31-2013, 11:09 AM
Jason's got a 48 on his NA-T setup. he would have an idea of the cons of features vs. pros of driving the vehicle and owning it.

quickgs
07-31-2013, 11:22 AM
Jason's got a 48 on his NA-T setup. he would have an idea of the cons of features vs. pros of driving the vehicle and owning it.

You are 100% correct, he has first hand experience.

i'll pm him Thanks.

You have to rewire the 48 to run semi sequential which doesn't bother me as long as it's works.

leaning towards the 128, i need to stop being cheap!

DentGuy
07-31-2013, 11:50 AM
(Soothing hypnotist voice) you will buy the 128 you will buy the 128

sulik
08-19-2013, 12:03 PM
Got a new question...
Can i use the new V3 Update with the rolling antilag feature with the 48 ProEFI?

Sound Performance
08-19-2013, 01:43 PM
Got a new question...
Can i use the new V3 Update with the rolling antilag feature with the 48 ProEFI?

As of right now there are no V3 updates available for 48 units. :(

turbosupra
09-05-2013, 07:55 AM
Where can I get an IS300 v2 xcal? I'd like to see how I can change the cylinders to 4 since it already has the 36-2 and 4-1 firmware in it. Will I need new firmware if there is no xcal written for my car? Or can I just change the parameters from the IS?

Has anyone fed an analog signal into the pro48 for speed based traction control?