can i fit 2 15" subs in the trunk? [Archive] - Supraforums.com

: can i fit 2 15" subs in the trunk?

i want a supra
09-13-2001, 07:15 PM
if i get a custom box built, can i get 2 15" subs built into the trunk and still have room for the targa top? let me know.

toysupra1
09-13-2001, 09:18 PM
geez! not sure if its possible but that sounds like overkill.:p

TITO
09-13-2001, 09:25 PM
Im not sure of the dimensions but in my old MKIII I had 3 12's and an amp rack back there and was still able to fit the targa.

Im not sure if the MKIV trunk id bigger or smaller?? Anyways with a custom box, and if you remove the spare tire and build around that it should be possible. Hell I got 4 12" subs into a CRX!!!!

AKA SIR
09-13-2001, 11:03 PM
I dont know but if you do, you wont need to worry about gas. You can drive that friggin car off bass!!

TITO
09-13-2001, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by AKA SIR
I dont know but if you do, you wont need to worry about gas. You can drive that friggin car off bass!!

Actually you know what. Now that you mention gas.

You cant put the subs to close to the trunk floor because the magnets of the subs if they are big enough will mess up the fuel pump.

i want a supra
09-14-2001, 03:39 PM
thanks for the replies. my 2 mtx 15"s hit so hard that i am worried about breaking the glass. hopefully it doesnt screw up the feul pump if it does then damn, that sucks. but thanks for the help.

SagaSupra
09-16-2001, 12:29 AM
is this for a 1993+ Supra? if so, 2x 15s in a supra is OVERKILL!!! remember that the MKIV is a hatchback. 12s are loud enough already. i dont even bump 80 percent of the time just because it hurts my ears too much. im sure you can fit a pair of 15s if you have a fiberglass box, but the question is...are you sure you really wanna do it? just my 2 cents worth.

TITO
09-16-2001, 12:34 AM
It's true the SPL would be unbeliavable. And about the hatch window breaking if your amp is powerful anough, it is possible, it happened to me, my back window just popped right off, didnt break untill it hit the ground. I hit 151.1 decibel's with 3 12's with the volume turned up about halfway. So watch out.

i want a supra
09-16-2001, 07:08 PM
thanks for the feedback, just one more question, do you think that i will be able to fit the t-top back there to if i put the 15"s in there? and if it is a little too much bass i might just sell the subs.

TITO
09-16-2001, 11:26 PM
U mean the targa right, umm, if you get a custom made box yeah i think it's possible. you will loose all your trunk space and spare tire though.

Ear Candy
09-17-2001, 09:52 AM
If you want 2 15's you can go all of three ways:
1 lose you back seats
2 lose your spare tire; you will have some hatch space though. Must go full custom enclosure; use FG because it will end up being close to 100lbs of mdf alone.
3 keep spare tire and go with the sub box on top of the pare tire, but you will lose all of your hatch space for this.

Note if you use FG it can be 1/4" thickness but must be reinforced like a mofo, b/c 15's will flex it like a bugger

Tito,
Good call on the fuel pump.
To fix this prob, you must wrap the power lines in rubber first, then alum foil, this way it creates a electro shield barrier for the lines, you also must cover the area directly above the pump like this as well.

You may get your targa in only if you go with #1, or #2, but most high spl application 15's are over 7 inches in depth and have an excursion of 1.5 to 2.0 inches. Where by making them need close to 10 inches to be on the safe side.

So a good installer will be able to get your targa in there with the 2 15's but expect $$$$ for this type of job, b/c of the time and skill level required. Properly set up with 1500 watts you should be hitting close to 150, so enjoy heart areathmia (spelling??)

i want a supra
09-17-2001, 03:12 PM
thanks for the help ear candy, oh by the way, I already have a heart arithmia!!! maybe this will fix it???

TITO
09-17-2001, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by i want a supra
thanks for the help ear candy, oh by the way, I already have a heart arithmia!!! maybe this will fix it???

HAHAHAHAHHA!!! Or finish you off. Lol, just joking man.

AKA SIR
09-17-2001, 03:58 PM
Where is a good place to get FG or mdf?

Thanks
Jeff

TITO
09-17-2001, 09:42 PM
Try this place www.mcmaster.com you can get fiberglass sheets there. Also any auto body supplier will hve it, you also need resin. Or even try home depot or something like that they should have it. MDF you can definately get at home depot. It's Medium Density Fiberboard.

Ear Candy
09-17-2001, 09:59 PM
All marine shops will have exactly what you need.

You'd better be good with your hands or you will pretty much glass everything into one big mess. Before you take on a big project, pratice first and much sure to construct some small scale models first. This way you'll know if FG is up your ally.

If you need more help, just post. Tito and I are pretty good with the car stereo stuff.
Jakub

powersoundsupra
09-18-2001, 12:17 PM
I was also wondering what could be fit in the back?
I am getting rid of my back seats, and I was wondering how easy would it be to put in 4 12"'s in the back-seat area. Don't worry about SPL, because I am A DJ and I have heard more gauranteed. Heck, I listen to loud music for a profession, might as well have a business promo car that ROCKS! too. Any help would be great!

TITO
09-18-2001, 02:07 PM
With a custom setup and the back seat removed, you can fit 6 12"s back there! It's all in the fabrication of the box, it's going to have to be FG, cuz a box made out of MDF for 4 12"s would weigh over a 100lbs. easy. Also you would have to remove the spare tire. But it can be done. I got 4 12"s into a CRX.

AKA SIR
09-18-2001, 02:11 PM
How much would a box for (2) 12" subs weight (made from mdf)? I know that each of the subs have a 24 lb magnet, so that is 48 lbs right there. I would rather stick with mdf and not FG cause I have made boxs before with mdf and can make a pretty nice one. How much performance will I lose but throwing 100+ pounds of stereo stuff in the hatch?

Jeff

Ear Candy
09-18-2001, 02:36 PM
The business promo on a supra will get you attention, so that will be a ++ either which way.

4 12's won't be a problem, 4 15's will be tight, but you may lose your spare tire depending on where you want to put the amp(s). It will all depend on which subs you choose. Don't skimp on the subs b/c they are your starting point of any spl application. Go cheap and might as well go home. :p

[i]Don't worry about SPL, because I am A DJ and I have heard more gauranteed. Heck, I listen to loud music for a profession, [/B]

I hope to hell you haven't seen 160+ db, you don't even want to know what 30 seconds of exposure would do to your ear drums. Oh and just for insight, a couple spl rides are hitting 180+ now in competition class, and even higher in outlaw.

Ear Candy
09-18-2001, 02:48 PM
Jeff,
It depends on the volume of the box, thickness of the mdf (no lest then 3/4 on an inch) and the amount of cross bracing you will need (determined buy power to volume to excursion)

So take into account the heavy subs, I will say they need 500w a piece. So the amp will weigh about 20 + wiring another 20+ (don't ever use thin power wire ----> fire!!!!!!), and box about 1.5 cubic foot per sub (minus the sub itself), two chambers so you are looking at about 130 pounds right there, and that is going light weight.

As for effecting performance it might take 0.1 secs of your 1/4mile or more. I am not 100% sure on the performance part, but I know it does become quite noticeable. It also depends on how driven you are by time slips. :D
Jakub

How much would a box for (2) 12" subs weight (made from mdf)?
How much performance will I lose but throwing 100+ pounds of stereo stuff in the hatch?

Jeff

AKA SIR
09-18-2001, 02:55 PM
Performance is not HUGELY important to me. I dont dyno my Supra and I dont plan on putting any major mods in it. I dont take it to the track, but dont get me wrong, I still want it to be as fast as possible. To me a nice stereo and rims is more important than gaining .2 seconds in the quarter mile.

From what the manuals on the subs say, they require 1.4 cubic feet per sub and it does not matter if they are laying in the box or facing in the box.

What to do, what to do......

TITO
09-18-2001, 03:12 PM
Wow, man, 180+ decibels. That's nuts' I remember when I hit 150 in my ride. I couldn't breath when I was in there. Even with the earplugs I felt my ear's pop.

I was in the 261-360 class and peaople were in the 140's with 2 12's.

Jeff, you have to find out the correct volume for the specific subwoofers that you have. Build the box around the specs. that the manufacturers give.

For every hundred lbs. it is 0.1 off the quater mile. like Jakub said. Weight will affect it and it will be noticable.

AKA SIR
09-18-2001, 03:21 PM
anyone know the weight of mdf per cubic inch? For example, how much would a 12" x 12" x 1" piece weigh (144 in^3)

Tito, I found out the 1.4 cubic feet per sub is what is needed.

Thanks
Jeff

Ear Candy
09-18-2001, 04:01 PM
Weights are as follows per square inch:

3/4 inch sheet thickness is 8.75 grams/inch^2
1.0 inch sheet thickness is 11.62 grams/inch^2

Give me your subs Thiele small parameters (specs)
I will run them through my volume calculator. Let me know if you want better response or more spl. Also what type of box?

Remember that the 1.4 cubic feet of space is air volume without the sub, so you must compensate for the space the magnet motor assembly etc occupies. Depending on how you mount the subs.
Jakub

anyone know the weight of mdf per cubic inch? For example, how much would a 12" x 12" x 1" piece weigh (144 in^3)

Tito, I found out the 1.4 cubic feet per sub is what is needed.

Thanks
Jeff

powersoundsupra
09-18-2001, 04:02 PM
I have seen about 180 before, my DJ system puts out 165 regularly, but I am wearing headphones so it does not hurt my ears. People love that, but only when I am outside, inside I don't turn it up that far. I have every intention of putting in 4 12's. But I hadn't even thought about six, at some point someone would tell me that it was overkill. But boy would it bump! I am thinking that it will have 4 12's in a custom molded enclosure in the place of the back seat, extending all the way into the back, filling up most of the area back there because the 12's I'm getting require at least 2 cu. ft. of space each( JBL GTi 12"). And boy, you should see those monsters, with the dual voice coil, and cast aluminum basket with heatsinks it looks BADASS! I will post pics when I am done with it. Just tring to figure out where to put the amps, the drivers are gonna take up a lot of room. Maybe I will have the drivers mostly in the back-seat area and have the amps built under some plexi in the back portion of the FG enclosure. Its gonna have backlighting and interactive neon, with the use of a professional DJ light controller circuit, thinking that I will even put one of my DJ light fixtures back there, who knows. Hey, new to this part of the forum, but a I am willing to help anyone with hardware and design questions, I have dealt with every form of audio equipment for most of my life, so I know my stuff.