HKS FCon for 5mge (Long...Need Advice) [Archive] - Supraforums.com

: HKS FCon for 5mge (Long...Need Advice)

karaki
08-30-2002, 09:55 PM
Anybody here used or are familiar with the fcon for the 5mge. What are the limitations of this piggy back system. Reason i'm asking is because after i put my 6m in i really want to bolt up my hks sport turbo instead of the ct26. What else will i need to do to get this combination up and running smoothly. Is there a vpc for the 5mge.

I know people will ask why i don't just go for the 7mgte, but i have a few reasons as to why i don't want to go this route:

1) I already have a 6m purchased
2) I don't want the added expense/headache of the 7m
3) I just want to have something unique, the 7mgte has been done, but i haven't seen many hks sport turbos in a mkii.

I've been told that the stock fuel management system can not handle the added boost of the sport turbo. What are my options then? Your help and input would be greatly appreciated.

jdk_ii
08-31-2002, 07:09 AM
Originally posted by karaki
Anybody here used or are familiar with the fcon for the 5mge. What are the limitations of this piggy back system. Reason i'm asking is because after i put my 6m in i really want to bolt up my hks sport turbo instead of the ct26. What else will i need to do to get this combination up and running smoothly. Is there a vpc for the 5mge.

I know people will ask why i don't just go for the 7mgte, but i have a few reasons as to why i don't want to go this route:

1) I already have a 6m purchased
2) I don't want the added expense/headache of the 7m
3) I just want to have something unique, the 7mgte has been done, but i haven't seen many hks sport turbos in a mkii.

I've been told that the stock fuel management system can not handle the added boost of the sport turbo. What are my options then? Your help and input would be greatly appreciated.

Easiest and most cost effective: 7MGTE with 550cc injectors. Considerably less tuning headaches.

Most expensive and more challenges: 550cc injectors, aftermarket ECU and someone to tune it.

The innovator: Use all the 7MGTE electronics to drive the 7MGTE. I believe this is very possible, but not for the plug and play crowd.

ma61turbo
08-31-2002, 06:31 PM
They actually make an fcon to fit the 5m? wow

Anyway, as Jim said the cheapest, easiest route to run the sport turbo is stick it on a 7m. You plain won't get it to run on the 6m. It's hard enough for people to get the standard ct-26 running on the 6m properly, let alone a sport turbo.

Seeing as you are dead set on using the 6m, IMO, your ONLY option is to go for an aftermarket fuel/ignition system.

karaki
08-31-2002, 11:23 PM
My heart is only set on the 6m if the price is right. As everyone has said there is no point sticking to the 6m if i'm going to have to buy a $3000 stand alone. My only reason for attempting this with the 6m is strictly because i already have the 6m and i already have the sport turbo. If i can't find a way to 'mate' them together for a 'reasonable' cost then the 7m will be my obvious choice.

HKS_TRD
09-02-2002, 04:46 AM
You could sell me your sport turbo:-) Another thing you may want to try is running the 7M-GE electronics they run bigger injectors to start with and it could cope with mild turbo power and then you could go for bigger squirters and electronic mods(HKS-S-AFR) or the 7M-GE Fcon to get it to run, the more headromm your fuel system has to start with the less headaches you'll have, standalone is the best bet but will only be as good as the person tuning it. If you can try and talk to Dean Marcum he has turbo's a 7M-GE sucessfully so he will be able to provide some useful info, 7M-GTE electronics would be better but the only difficulty I can think of is sorting out the CPS. Heh I like your idea I wanted to do a 5MG stroker turbo in my MKII but trying to get a decent fuel system worked out got too crazy, stick with it tho but dont jump into anything until you have explored all options, another idea is running additional injectors with a HKS AIC this would work well to and lets you keep small primaries.

Take Care
Dan

karaki
09-02-2002, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by HKS_TRD
[, stick with it tho but dont jump into anything until you have explored all options, another idea is running additional injectors with a HKS AIC this would work well to and lets you keep small primaries.

Take Care
Dan [/B]

Thanks, actually while surfing the net last night that was one of the solutions that i though about. I was looking at different stand alone and fuel management computers and stumbled across the Greddy e-manage which can control additional injectors. Has anyone out there used or heard anything about the e-manage. Is this a viable alternative to a stand alone or is it just a waste of cash. Thanks.

George

jdk_ii
09-02-2002, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by karaki

Thanks, actually while surfing the net last night that was one of the solutions that i though about. I was looking at different stand alone and fuel management computers and stumbled across the Greddy e-manage which can control additional injectors. Has anyone out there used or heard anything about the e-manage. Is this a viable alternative to a stand alone or is it just a waste of cash. Thanks.

George

It's been done, but a band-aid to compensate
for the existing fuel management.

It does work well to 'help' with extra fuel requirements
on setups that are already running well with a proper ECU.

Obocecha
09-03-2002, 01:50 AM
I don't understand how anyone can say that the 5M/6M is difficult to get running correctly with a turbo setup. I've been running a 6M-GTE in my '85 for over a year now and it runs beautifully. Sure, I blew out the head gasket but after lapping the block and head and slapping in an HKS MHG with some ARP studs there's been no probs. I started with a CT-26 then moved to a Turbonetics T4. I can run 10 lbs of boost all day long with no problems with only an upgraded fuel pump, RRFPR, and "STOCK" 5M injectors. Of course I do run an intercooler and super unleaded all the time. I just recently passed emissions with this setup as well. I do realize that running 7M electronics will allow you to reach a much higher level of performance than with 5M electronics but the car will still run great with tons of power and will even pass emmissions.