Supra Forums banner

Power Steering Pump pulley making noise

20K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  mysupratoy94 
#1 · (Edited)
A while back I cleaned up my engine and afterwards notice a sound coming from my engine. At first I thought it was my belts, use some belt dressing but noise remained. I thought it may be the water pump pulley or bearings but to make sure I removed the belt and ran the engine... no sound. After going back and forth found out its my Power Steering pump making the sound. I dont have any leaks coming from it yet, steering works fine so it has to be the bearings.

If its the bearings do I need to replace the whole pump? I tried spraying some lubricant on the back of the pulley and the sound kind of went away but came back within seconds.

#2 ·
My pump started making an ungodly whirring/whining noise that wasn't to bad at first and at first would go away once the car warmed up. But it got louder and louder, especially when turning.....it ended up being the pump and it wasn't to hard to replace...hour or so.....i got my new pump for $232.98....it list for $336 from toyota

#3 ·
i got mines rebuilt for about 100bucks, but it was also making a whinning nise and was leaking fluid from the reservouir cap...works perfect now...!!

#5 ·
have you cleaned out the screen from the inside of the power steering reservoir? when it gets clogged it wont allow enough fluid to get into the pump causing a whining sound.

#7 ·
Thank you everyone for your input, really appreciate it. Everyone I took it too kept saying it was either the pulley or bearing inside the PS pump. Fluids were fine, no leaks, no sounds when turning wheel... so all that made me doubt it was the pump. anyways, i went to autozone, bought a cheap drive belt and guess what, that was the fix. The sound it was making before was a grinding noise, something you would hear when the bearings are grinding or dry, so i never thought it would be the belt. The OEM belt I had was only about 20,000 miles old. Before you go spending big bucks, always check the drive belt for any weird noises!

#10 ·
That definietly sounds like a bad PS pump. Mine wasnt leaking, just making a horrible sound. Check the forum for used pumps... a new one will run you about 400.00 bucks. You can have it rebuilt for like under 150.00 or buy one from a forum member for under 100.00. I almost bought one from a member but im good now.

#12 ·
hey guys, i haven't the same problems. it would go away after like 20-30 mins of driving, but it's still annoying to me.. my shop which specializes in performance car like the supras said it's the common problem on the power steering pump, and the only way is to replace it. I can get it from the dealer, but does anyone kno, or have a guide to replace the pump? If it's something easy, i dont want to pay the shop to do it, and my shop is 2 hr drive away.. :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.