Supra Forums banner

Power steering rack bushings. A must do for all supra owners!

49K views 100 replies 57 participants last post by  GMonster 
#1 ·
I bought the bushing kit from MVP last year and finally just installed it. Before the install the steering had a delay when turning left or right, kinda like a old unresponsive old caddy. With the new bushings installed it feels like a new car! The steering is so responsive and no longer floats.

Here is a pic of the old bushing and the new one on the right. The OEM one is just one bushing that pushes in from one side. The new one is two halfs so it will seat better than the OEM design. You can see in the first pic the OEM bushing is worn down on the end, kinda like a cone.

The big bushing that fits around the rack didn't look worn but the new one is stiffer and i'm sure that helps with how crisp it feels.

See less See more
#32 ·
I did this and i removed my rack for ease of installation but im sure you can do it in the car if the engine is out. It took me 2 minutes to get them out. The key was an Air hammer . I inserted the pencil tip of the air hammer bit inside the hole of the stock bushing. Pulled the trigger and they came right out. hope that helps some of you guys.

#35 ·
Thanks to rawfish and this thread I jumped on the bandwagon and purchased new steering rack bushings. I noticed that one of the my factory bushings was torn on top but wasn't sure if I wanted to replace it. After reading this thread and seeing how rawfish's bushings looked I was convinced I needed to change mine.

Tuesday I ordered the R2 bushings from MVP and they quickly arrived today so I got to work and replaced them. With the engine out, the swap is fairly simple. The only difficult task was removing the stock bushings, I pounded them out with a hammer and socket. Had the engine been in, I can see it being much more difficult. Here are a few pictures from the swap.

Here is the large bushing on the passenger side. Similar to rawfish, mine was in good shape but the R2 bushing is much stiffer.

Lower drivers side bushing, it appears to be in good shape.

Upper drivers side bushing, if you look close you can see the bottom of the bushing is torn. This is what led me to want to change, but until this thread I wasn't sure I would.

And this is why I'm glad I replaced the bushings. From the pictures above, they appeared to be in ok shape, however this is what they looked like once removed. The top and bottom rubber hats were completely torn.

Here is the new R2 Racing Steering Rack Bushing kit from MVP:

And finally the installed bushings!

I need to retweak the lower outside bushing as it seems to be crooked on one side. Plus after looking at the picture I realized I forgot to put the washer back on.

I don't know if I'll notice a difference in the steering, but at least I will know the bushings aren't torn. I recommend this upgrade to all Supra owners!

#37 ·
It is possible without pulling the motor, however, unless your stock bushings are in really bad shape, you'll need to pull the rack at least. I had to pull my rack and use a press to press out the old bushings as mine were actually in pretty good shape. I did go ahead and do that though (pull the rack).

My R2 kit is older and the large bushing looks different. IT is just round. I may ask Robert about exchanging it as I am sure it won't work as well as the newer design.

Steve K.

#38 ·
IMHO, the main purpose of the stock rubber rack bushings is Toyota's constant quest for lowering NVH, but if you want the most precise steering feel, solid bushings are the way to go. We have sold at least 200 sets of the Battle Version aluminum bushings in the last few years and I honestly haven't had anyone say that it made the car too noisy or caused vibration, but if you are someone who wants the quiest car possible, then poly or new stock bushings would probably be better for you. I am finally building my own MK4 Supra right now and I will be using the solid ones for sure :)

#41 ·
Thanks for you input on the solid bushings for the steering rack.. I would like to replace mine soon.

#42 ·
60 Supras have tighter steering thanks to this thread. LOL :)

#44 ·
Just did mine with the motor in. I pryed them out with a flat head and installed the new ones. It was about two hours of work since the one around the rack has the bracket and it took a few tries to reinstall the bolts. Had to barely start one in and then do the other one. We'll see how good they are in a week when I can drive the car again since its under construction.

#52 ·
I also had the same problem with the newer R2 bushing MVP sent me. It measured at 1.964 inner diameter. It is too large as the rack is actually 1.85 inches outer diameter. I sent an email to Robert explaining this. The first R2 bushing I was sent is the proper inner diameter, but isn't the same design as the factory bushing.

Steve

#53 ·
Ordered some DM ones since I have my engine out =D Might as well upgrade!

#54 ·
I did the R2 Bushing not to long ago for the steering rack. Very easy to install without pulling anything. Its only three bolts that are very easy to get to. Just take the bolts out and push the old bushings out. Took me about an hour with me bull shitting with a friend. If I did it non stop I probably could do it in 15 mins.

#55 ·
Glad they were easy for you. Mine were a PITA to remove. I had to use a press to get the old ones off. No way they were coming off while the rack was still in the car. No biggie since I was also installing new inner tie rods and the rack had to some off anyway, but some may not have the easy experience depending on how worn out their bushings are.

Steve K.

#56 ·
^ same here. I had to use a puller to press the driver side ones out and couldn't do the vertical one without pulling the rack for the same reason. My old ones were still good but i do notice it feels tighter now with 2 of the 3 swapped for powerflex. The third ill do one day if i ever need to pull the rack.

#57 ·
I recently replaced my bushings on my wifes sc300 (same kit as supra). They were still in very good shape but I was able to pry them out with a flat tip screwdriver. I used a flat tip a little smaller than the inside diameter of the metal bushing. I also used a hammer at times to bang it out. I did this while the rack was still in the car with all 3 bolts removed so that I could adjust as needed. It took me about 1.5 hrs. I'll be doing the ones on my supra next.

#59 ·
I purchased the 47mm Powerflex steering bushing kit (PFF76-613) from a dealer in the UK but think I have the wrong sleeves that came in the kit. the sleeve length is approx 22mm but heard from Powerflex USA should be closer to 27mm. see pics. compared to the R2 bushing kit, the metal sleeve should be flush with the bushing. the large bushing fits my steering rack fine but I didn't try to install the 2 sleeves and bushings yet. is there a different kit for the JDM vs USDM cars?

Attachments

#62 ·
I was thinking of ordering the ones from MVP but if there are issues I guess I will hang off until they get it sorted.

My steering does not feel the way I want it to and I'm sure my bushings are gone. Looking forward to hearing if they get it sorted and I will pick up a set once they do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.