*7685 GEN 2 FINALLY HERE* First Look

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 26 to 41 of 41

Thread: *7685 GEN 2 FINALLY HERE* First Look

  1. #26
    8 second 6 speed member dazzadude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,354
    I would love to see something fill that gap.
    My 8891 is too laggy for my liking and there isn't enough mid range power gain going down to an 8685 but the 7685 looks very inviting.

    There isn't enough info about the 8285 unfortunately is did look like a popular size turbo.
    AUSTRALIA'S FASTEST 6 SPEED MANUAL CAR
    PT8891 gen2, Motec M800, 6 speed, e85
    Best ET 8.8 @ 166 mph 1400 RWHP
    SEE 1400 RWHP DYNO VID HERE- http://youtu.be/T8DiKBEtdL4

    INSTAGRAM - australian_supra


    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

  2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

  3. #27
    Supporting Vendor Mark Conte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    4,731
    It's a thinking "outside the box" suggestion but we could get you a Renegade 76mm which would be a direct drop in on your vehicle. *This* is a more serious 76mm than what's on the 7675 or 7685 and would come up way better than your 8891, and you wouldn't have to change your manifold or piping. Just a thought.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVMMpofd_-Q
    Last edited by Mark Conte; 05-12-2017 at 05:57 AM.
    Mark Conte
    Real Street Performance


    1997 Toyota Supra Turbo 6 Speed - Royal Sapphire Pearl
    VVTi RS1600 Engine w/ Billet 94mm LW Crank & DLC Pin Upgrades - 1,077whp / 901wtq @ 327kpa

    1994 Toyota Supra Turbo 6 Speed - Radiant Red (Wife's)
    RS1600 Engine w/ Billet 94mm Crank & DLC Pin Upgrades - 1,159whp / 987wtq @ 362kpa

    2009 Nissan GT-R
    2004 Toyota 4Runner V8
    1999 Lexus SC300
    2007 Chevrolet Suburban

  4. #28
    8 second 6 speed member dazzadude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Australia
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,354
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Conte View Post
    It's a thinking "outside the box" suggestion but we could get you a Renegade 76mm which would be a direct drop in on your vehicle. *This* is a more serious 76mm than what's on the 7675 or 7685 and would come up way better than your 8891, and you wouldn't have to change your manifold or piping. Just a thought.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVMMpofd_-Q
    I have an old T6 turbine housing from my GTX4508R which I could eventually machine out to fit a XX85.

    But I still have a Garrett GT47R with an 88mm billet compressor wheel lying around.Doesn't make no way near as much as even the 8385 but spoils up nicely. I'm thinking the 7685 would hit my targets and if I need a little more there's always a 150 shot of nos on top.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

  6. #29
    Supporting Vendor Mark Conte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    4,731
    The 85 turbine and GT47 turbines are nearly identical in size. I would assume your 8385-B would spool up a lot better than your billet GT4718R (which in PTE speak is an 8884-B).

    Yeah the 7685-B is a great turbo to run hard. Larger shaft diameter and tons of turbine to work with.

  7. #30
    SupraForums Member Boosted_68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Bradenton, Florida
    Posts
    63
    Is this turbo too big to serve as a good street/strip turbo?

    I would run an Rs1200 3.0 package with a V160 and upgraded rear end.

    I live 5 minutes away from the drag strip but would probably only race the car a few times a year. Would like to try a 1/2 race as well.

    Power goal would be between 1000 and 1100rwhp.

  8. #31
    SupraForums Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    DFW
    Age
    30
    Posts
    179
    That would be a pretty bad choice of turbo for making 1050 on your setup. Would be slow to spool compared to a 7175 or 7675.

    Check out this video, specifically at 2:15 mark. The 7675 is 250rwhp ahead at 5000RPM on a 3.4L, but only makes 50rwhp less at peak.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xn8ROiUd7w
    97 TT-6spd - 1115/960 - 3.4L - 7175 - ProEFI - HRE - KW V3

    Click here to enlarge

  9. #32
    SupraForums Member Boosted_68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Bradenton, Florida
    Posts
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by ZW99GT View Post
    That would be a pretty bad choice of turbo for making 1050 on your setup. Would be slow to spool compared to a 7175 or 7675.

    Check out this video, specifically at 2:15 mark. The 7675 is 250rwhp ahead at 5000RPM on a 3.4L, but only makes 50rwhp less at peak.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xn8ROiUd7w
    Thats a pretty large difference at 5000rpm....I am definitely trying to split the difference here between room to grow on the top end and not being too laggy in the midrange.

    What is the potential of a 7175 turbo? Id like to be around 1000whp between 38 and 40psi
    Click here to enlarge

    ---1994 Supra TT 6spd---BPU---Forgestars---More to Come!

  10. #33
    SupraForums Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    DFW
    Age
    30
    Posts
    179
    Quote Originally Posted by Boosted_68 View Post
    Thats a pretty large difference at 5000rpm....I am definitely trying to split the difference here between room to grow on the top end and not being too laggy in the midrange.

    What is the potential of a 7175 turbo? Id like to be around 1000whp between 38 and 40psi
    You're in great hands in this thread, Mark and the whole Real Street team have personally tried several different turbos in and around this size, on their own cars 3.4L and 3L. I'm sure they'll be glad to tell you what they think it's capable of. From what I've seen, it's 1000 EASY on high compression and ethanol.

    I run a 7175 BB .96 H cover and it made 1115rwhp on an 18psi spring. Hit 38psi on the dyno, will hit 41+ on the street in good weather. Another 7175 car here also just convincingly eclipsed the 1100rwhp mark, but with with a 4 port boost controller which he reported to hold 44psi.

    http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho....0L&highlight=

  11. #34
    SupraForums Member Boosted_68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Bradenton, Florida
    Posts
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by ZW99GT View Post
    You're in great hands in this thread, Mark and the whole Real Street team have personally tried several different turbos in and around this size, on their own cars 3.4L and 3L. I'm sure they'll be glad to tell you what they think it's capable of. From what I've seen, it's 1000 EASY on high compression and ethanol.

    I run a 7175 BB .96 H cover and it made 1115rwhp on an 18psi spring. Hit 38psi on the dyno, will hit 41+ on the street in good weather. Another 7175 car here also just convincingly eclipsed the 1100rwhp mark, but with with a 4 port boost controller which he reported to hold 44psi.

    http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho....0L&highlight=
    It looked like a good thread to pick some brains for a 2JZ noob. I am coming from the Nitrous Big Block or Nitrous LSX world and freshly stepping into turbos and 2JZ's at the same time.

    How are the street manners with your 7175 setup? Still pleasurable to cruise around town? Do the very large injectors and S2 cams in a lot of these motors cause idle/surging issues?

    I would want to run full time E85 fyi

    Thanks for the replies btw.

  12. #35
    SupraForums Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Age
    45
    Posts
    6,001
    Quote Originally Posted by ZW99GT View Post
    You're in great hands in this thread, Mark and the whole Real Street team...

    I agree with the entirety of Zach's post, but especially the quoted portion. In Conte we trust.

    even relatively knowledgeable forum members like Zach and I can't touch the value of info you'll get from Mark and the guys at Real Street.
    Last edited by Craig Bush; 05-17-2017 at 02:56 PM.
    Government cannot give anything to anybody that it doesn't first take from somebody else. Whenever somebody receives something without working for it, somebody else has to work for it without receiving. The worst thing that can happen to a nation is for half of the people to get the idea they don't have to work because somebody else will work for them, and the other half to get the idea that it does no good to work because they don't get to enjoy the fruits of their labor.
    - Adrian Rogers

  13. #36
    Supporting Vendor Mark Conte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Florida
    Posts
    4,731
    Haha thanks guys you give me too much credit, I just have a pretty good memory, and the opportunity to get feedback from or witness A LOT of combinations doing what I do.

    Anyways, the 7175 is a great option for what you just asked. It's probably the smartest turbo for someone that wants to solidly be in that 1,000whp area as the 6870 - which spools up better - can make over 1000 but that is more of a stretch...needs to be a nice engine, in the right ambient air and conditions, needs to be a ton of boost, if it's a 3.4L it's going to fall off hard, you're being hard ton the turbo to do it, etc.

    As Zach mentioned, there are a few cars - his included - that have made over 1,100whp. It's a great turbocharger, honestly it's a much better match of compressor to turbine for a 2JZ than the 7675. The 76 can make more for sure, but the 71 can take the turbine to its reasonable airflow limit so from that aspect it's a fantastic choice as it should be expected to spool up slightly quicker.

    Not to go all salesman on you, but the 7175 is on sale right now. Precision very very rarely has sales. If you are in the market - I'd suggest you purchase very soon as I know for a fact that Precision is already out of some of the combinations and have had other distributors buying units from us to fill orders for their customers.

    7175HP Journal Bearing: $1,599.99 MSRP On Sale for $1,359.99
    7175HP-B Ball Bearing: $2,510.99 MSRP On Sale for $2,134.34
    "Sportsman" 7175-B Ball Bearing (aka GT42R-71): $3,149.99 MSRP On Sale for $2,677.49
    Last edited by Mark Conte; 05-18-2017 at 07:01 AM.

  14. #37
    SupraForums Member Boosted_68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Bradenton, Florida
    Posts
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Conte View Post
    Haha thanks guys you give me too much credit, I just have a pretty good memory, and the opportunity to get feedback from or witness A LOT of combinations doing what I do.

    Anyways, the 7175 is a great option for what you just asked. It's probably the smartest turbo for someone that wants to solidly be in that 1,000whp area as the 6870 - which spools up better - can make over 1000 but that is more of a stretch...needs to be a nice engine, in the right ambient air and conditions, needs to be a ton of boost, if it's a 3.4L it's going to fall off hard, you're being hard ton the turbo to do it, etc.

    As Zach mentioned, there are a few cars - his included - that have made over 1,100whp. It's a great turbocharger, honestly it's a much better match of compressor to turbine for a 2JZ than the 7675. The 76 can make more for sure, but the 71 can take the turbine to its reasonable airflow limit so from that aspect it's a fantastic choice as it should be expected to spool up slightly quicker.

    Not to go all salesman on you, but the 7175 is on sale right now. Precision very very rarely has sales. If you are in the market - I'd suggest you purchase very soon as I know for a fact that Precision is already out of some of the combinations and have had other distributors buying units from us to fill orders for their customers.

    7175HP Journal Bearing: $1,599.99 MSRP On Sale for $1,359.99
    7175HP-B Ball Bearing: $2,510.99 MSRP On Sale for $2,134.34
    "Sportsman" 7175-B Ball Bearing (aka GT42R-71): $3,149.99 MSRP On Sale for $2,677.49
    Hey Mark, thanks for the response. I am really just planning my build, I am not sure if I am going to do all the work myself or drop it off to you guys and pick it up complete (have all the tools and non of the time)

    What I'd like to do is start piecing together the parts and when i have most of what I need I'll pull the trigger.

    Can you give me or direct me to an explanation of the differences between the three 7175 options you listed and what environments would justify choosing one over the other?

  15. #38
    SupraForums Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    DFW
    Age
    30
    Posts
    179
    Quote Originally Posted by Boosted_68 View Post
    It looked like a good thread to pick some brains for a 2JZ noob. I am coming from the Nitrous Big Block or Nitrous LSX world and freshly stepping into turbos and 2JZ's at the same time.

    How are the street manners with your 7175 setup? Still pleasurable to cruise around town? Do the very large injectors and S2 cams in a lot of these motors cause idle/surging issues?

    I would want to run full time E85 fyi

    Thanks for the replies btw.
    Street manners on my car are pretty awesome. I also came from the domestic world with Mod Motors and N20 SBF's. The supra is obviously not a monster V8. I had to get out of the habit of lugging around at 2000RPM.

    There are some HUGE cams and some race car parts that cause a car to be hectic on the street I'm sure, but a modern setup with a great ECU and tune should drive almost like a stock car out of boost. There should be no idle hunting or surging or anything of the sort going on ever unless something is broken.

    What's pleasurable to cruise around town or not is wildly subjective. It's easy to drive around town, fun on the highway. Turn it all the way down and flip on the traction control, and my mom could make a hit in the car easy.




    Quote Originally Posted by Boosted_68 View Post
    Hey Mark, thanks for the response. I am really just planning my build, I am not sure if I am going to do all the work myself or drop it off to you guys and pick it up complete (have all the tools and non of the time)

    What I'd like to do is start piecing together the parts and when i have most of what I need I'll pull the trigger.

    Can you give me or direct me to an explanation of the differences between the three 7175 options you listed and what environments would justify choosing one over the other?
    All 3 turbos will make almost the same overall peak power. Poke around on the forums and google in general for journal bearing VS ball bearing turbos. Also for divided VS undivided/open turbine housings ( aka twin scroll VS single scroll).

    Journal Bearing is the cheapest way to go. Although it will make similar power, It spools slower and is less reliable than the same ball bearing turbo.

    The Sportsman Precision 7175 is a clone of a Garrett Turbo, which Mark listed above GT42R-71. GT42's come with a divided housing that comes in a few more flavors that the standard 7175 that only come with two different housings. The size of the turbine housing greatly influences spool and how long a turbo will hold boost on the top end before you see the dyno graph nose over.

    http://dsportmag.com/the-tech/twin-s...-great-divide/

  16. #39
    SupraForums Member Boosted_68's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Bradenton, Florida
    Posts
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by ZW99GT View Post
    Street manners on my car are pretty awesome. I also came from the domestic world with Mod Motors and N20 SBF's. The supra is obviously not a monster V8. I had to get out of the habit of lugging around at 2000RPM.


    http://dsportmag.com/the-tech/twin-s...-great-divide/

    Yes that has been the biggest thing to adjust to with the supra, from engaging the clutch to normal driving the engine wants more rpm to feel smooth and responsive.

    Also, GREAT read in the dsportmag link....completely answered my questions about the reason for twin scroll turbines!

  17. #40
    SupraForums Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Colorado Springs
    Age
    45
    Posts
    6,001
    another point to remember is that the gt42-framed precisions (7275, 7675, 7685, 8285, 8385, 8685; not sure about the 71) are all the same foot print, so you can swap w/o changing anything else.

  18. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Conte View Post
    It's a thinking "outside the box" suggestion but we could get you a Renegade 76mm which would be a direct drop in on your vehicle. *This* is a more serious 76mm than what's on the 7675 or 7685 and would come up way better than your 8891, and you wouldn't have to change your manifold or piping. Just a thought.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVMMpofd_-Q
    Wow 1300whp out of a 76mm!! Why isn't this turbo popular?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quick Reply Quick Reply

  • Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Similar Threads

  1. Difference between the HKS Twin Power DLI 1st gen and 2nd gen?
    By TRDSupraSE in forum Shops & Part Reviews
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-22-2006, 04:15 PM
  2. Veilside shift knob from 4th gen into 3rd gen??? will it fit?
    By simann in forum MKIII (1986.5-1992)
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-21-2004, 10:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts