Supra Forums banner

Bought a new toy while deployed

3K views 33 replies 21 participants last post by  Kizoso 
#1 · (Edited)
So I am currently sucking sand in the sand box also know as Afghanistan... Back in April I stumbled across a deal I could not pass up. I found a Brand new with less then 800 miles 2016 Super White, Tundra Platinum, None FFV (Flex Fuel Vehicle) it's a Canadian model and it had the following mods:
Amp Research boards
7" BDS W/Fox shocks
37x13.5" TOYO tires
20x10" Fuel Hostage Wheels.

So the day after I came home from R&R my wife and I got on a plane and flew to Salt Lake City where the truck was at, the dealership is called Watts Automotive, and I have to say it was one of the best experiences I had with a dealer, we negotiated a OTD price and with in 30 minutes we where on our way back to the Mesa AZ.

The truck drove great, felt like driving a brand new Camry that was lifted, this truck has all the bells and whistles that you can get with a tundra from back up camera to blind spot monitor which is helpful with a lifted truck, it has Air conditioned and heated driver and passenger seats which is very nice for our hot summers, it also has a tow package along with the mighty 5.7L V8.

I am very happy to be back in a truck, even though it was a short time since I had to be back in country by the 30th of April but with my short time with it I did not have any regrets with my purchase! And with having this I am debating towing my Supra instead of driving it to Vegas this year that way the ride to and from is comfort.

Now on with the pictures

Untitled by Clinton Griffin, on Flickr

943841_10153317567082470_3879898254842757821_n by Clinton Griffin, on Flickr

See less See more
#2 ·
Beautiful truck! I want one so bad but can't justify spending the $ because I know I will hardly drive it LOL!

#12 ·
Thanks, It barley goes 10 miles a day so I'm pretty happy and it should do the trick towing my trailer.

I would love to own one as well. Nice truck man!
Thanks!

Really nice truck...I've seen a lot of their trucks on ebay and they seem to buy clean stuff. 90% of them are lifted, do they do that or is that just a western thing?
It's a western thing :p, I am pretty happy with the lift, its not to tall and the amp running boards help a lot, my wife can get in and out of it easily. I am glade I went with the platinum.

looks amazing!
Thank you!

Badass look, nice truck.
Thank you!

Awesome! I would love to have a Tundra myself as a daily but can't justify it with a long commute. I like the diamond stitching and interior as well, very cool.
Yeah I love the diamond stitching over the 1794 western look.

Your truck looks great, mileage is going to suck with it lifted. These trucks are super reliable, I have 210,000 miles on a '08 Crew cab and you would think its 50k. There was a guy in Louisiana that drove a '07 to a million miles with original engine/tranny. Toyota took his truck to tear it all down for inspection and gave him a new Tundra.

http://toyotanews.pressroom.toyota.com/releases/million-mile-tundra-2016.htm
Yeah I didn't buy the truck for the mileage so I am good there, and so far it's pretty stout, and I read that articular on tundratalk, pretty amazing.

You made a great choice. I love my Platinum Tundra. One of the best vehicles I have owned. I have 35" tires so they are a little more comfortable but this truck makes my F150 feel like a piece of junk.
Yeah I am happy with my decision, I'd do it all over again.

Nice truck! You will love it.
Thanks!

#8 · (Edited)
Your truck looks great, mileage is going to suck with it lifted. These trucks are super reliable, I have 210,000 miles on a '08 Crew cab and you would think its 50k. There was a guy in Louisiana that drove a '07 to a million miles with original engine/tranny. Toyota took his truck to tear it all down for inspection and gave him a new Tundra.

http://toyotanews.pressroom.toyota.com/releases/million-mile-tundra-2016.htm

#9 ·
You made a great choice. I love my Platinum Tundra. One of the best vehicles I have owned. I have 35" tires so they are a little more comfortable but this truck makes my F150 feel like a piece of junk.

#10 ·
Nice truck! You will love it.

#11 ·
Oh what a beauty, my wife and I want the exact same truck. Will look good with my white car hauler and white supra! Congrats and welcome home! Know the feeling way to much!

Casey

#18 · (Edited)
Nice truck. Sounds like it fits you well! Towing the Supra is a great idea - I do it a lot.

Since you probably did some homework on this (as well as some of the other posters), was there a particular year (in the last 5) where the Tundra really improved significantly? When/if I decide to get another truck, this would be my first choice, but I would probably be looking for used - thus the interest in what years to look for. I am interested in 2wd, good tow power, and all the amenities!
Thanks for any advice.

Oh, and thanks for your service. We all benefit and most appreciate it!

#19 ·
The 2014+ made some changes, good and bad. It all boils down to what you want to spend and what you want. I choose the 2016 platinum because it had all the amenities I was looking for plus it came 4wd which is a plus when you tow a camper trailer on dirt roads. But 2008-2013 are good years, finding a used one your looking at either high mileage low cost or low mileage high costs.

#22 ·
Silver Supra, Clint's right on - the truck was unchanged until the 2014 refresh. It was cosmetic and interior upgrades only, to my knowledge.

I encourage anyone buying a Tundra to not do so without a test drive. They have a known bed bounce problem that seems random to certain examples - some have it, some don't. My 2008 that I bought in 2013 with 115k miles had it. Truck was perfect aside from bad bed bounce at highway speeds. There's no definitive fix, and I couldn't stand it - sold it within a year.

#23 ·
Thanks Craig.
I originally started to ask some questions about it, but decided to do a little homework, instead.
Found this: http://www.tundraheadquarters.com/blog/toyota-finally-addresses-bed-bounce/
I will need to check this on older ones (since the TSB was in 2010, and warranty was running out on older ones), and will continue to look into whether Toyota has "fixed" the problem in newer models.

#24 ·
congrats!!!! I have a 2014 supercharged platinum and absolutely love it!!!!!

#27 · (Edited)
Sorry Shant I didn't see your post tell now haha, but yes it is standard on all 2013+ Tundra Platinum Editions

So I was on R&R a couple weeks ago and got to play with the Tundra some more. We wound up taking it to SIV, some of you may of saw us cruising around with the Supra's. Got some good pictures Via DaveT

I added a remote start system to the truck http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fortin-EVO-...AR-ONE-TOY2-T-Harness-COMPLETE-/291683474174? It works great and uses the factory remotes with no issues with opening the door and worrying about it shutting the truck off like the factory remote start does.

I also went ahead and added an exhaust to the truck, I went with the 5.7L Dual Budget Dumped – LONG from DirtyDeeds Industries, so far it makes the truck sound like a monster truck, it is loud in the cab and does drone a little but but the wife said it was tolerable unlike a Supra she said haha. http://dirtydeedsindustries.com/pro...tundra-4-6l-and-5-7l-dual-budget-dumped-long/

Here is a comparisons between stock and the new exhaust.
Stock

DirtyDeeds BAMuffler

I wanted to get more videos but ran out of time. But I'll be home in April, still trying to decide what I am going to do next with the truck besides tow my Supra.

If anyone was wondering I got 10.5MPG on my way up to Vegas and back.

#31 ·
Since, I've been back from my deployment I've really enjoyed driving the truck, it still only has 6700 miles on it and it was a year today since i bought it. Still very happy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.