Moving from CA to TX

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Moving from CA to TX

SupraForums Member

Moving from CA to TX

Hello SF,
    i will be moving down to the Dallas/Garland area within the next few months for a job relocation and would like to know some general things for the move. Any help will be appreciated!

How strict/lenient is the smog? im coming from CA and from what i read online texas seems to be similar to CA for CEL etc. I have a BPU Supra with CEL due to catless DP. how hard will it be for me to smog it? anyone know local shops if this is the case-please PM me.

I just purchased the car from an El paso member last month so ill just apply for a ownership change in a few months( there are some late fees it seems).

Is there anything else i should generally be looking for or need to do in the area related to the car? or just general knowledge of the area?

Ive heard of golf ball sized hail so a garage is a must.

Looking for anything that can help me through the move, thanks guys!
    1994 Alpine Silver TT (SOLD)
    1998 IJM TT BPU

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

SupraForums Member
    Welcome, where will you be working?. Smog sucks and there's only one way to get around it. You have to know a guy who knows a guy. The cars and coffee in Plano is a pretty good time, the first Saturday of every month. There's a Supra group here that gets together every now and then, lookup Texas Supras on Facebook. There are a few 1/2 mile events planned about 30-40 miles east of Garland for the spring/summer. Let me know when you get here or if you need any advice on areas to live. I work in Garland and it has some absolutely awful spots and some great ones as well.
    97 TT-6spd - 1115/960 - 3.4L - 7175 - ProEFI - HRE - KW V3

Click here to enlarge

SupraForums Member
    ^ thanks! ill PM you where ill be working. Definitely need some advice on where to live. I was told by a few, the cities of murhpy, and wylie are ok and that i should stay away from more southern parts-apparently traffic sucks going north? we were thinking Mesquite at first.
    First 6 months we will be in apartments while housing is covered then we will be looking for a new home.

5. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

Reverend Hillclimb SlackJawOutlaw's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by igorski_89 View Post
    ^ thanks! ill PM you where ill be working. Definitely need some advice on where to live. I was told by a few, the cities of murhpy, and wylie are ok and that i should stay away from more southern parts-apparently traffic sucks going north? we were thinking Mesquite at first.
    First 6 months we will be in apartments while housing is covered then we will be looking for a new home.
    Lived in Mesquite for 7 years, I went there last year just to kind of reminisce. Needless to say I do not recommend it. Its gone down in quality over the years. I like Murphy way more. The edges of Mesquite are nicer, there are clean apartments and housing complexes etc. I have family in Sunnyvale, its like its own town inside of Mesquite, pretty clean.
    1994 Renaissance Red Original TT 6-Speed - Hillclimb Monster - Under the scalpel
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Feel free to ask or PM for anything and everything about Computer Hardware

SupraForums Member
    ^thank you! every bit of information helps.

My advise is don't vote liberal. Keep Texas Texas.

SupraForums Member
    ^ LOL- why do you think im leaving CA

SF Contributing Member xtoefield's Avatar
    scaring Flicktitty from bowling rematches
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric_C View Post
    My advise is don't vote liberal. Keep Texas Texas.
    great advice. in the most useless type of way.
    Daily: '13 Macbook Pro Numbers-750GB@5400RPM, Weekend: '90 MK3

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by miss_supra95 Click here to enlarge
    Ugh, got my first dick.

Turbo On The Brain 24/7 Gary Bechtold's Avatar
    As someone who came from Chicago I would agree. Texas is growing because it isn't liberal on the state level and has on a general level been pretty smart versus most states on economic policy. I worry for the day too many people from California, Chicago and East Coast types vote for the exact same people who ruined their states but here in Texas.
    -Gary Bechtold, Jr.
    1997 Toyota Supra Turbo
    2005 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT Limited Wagon
    2013 Lexus IS 350

SupraForums Member
    ^when you moved to texas and went to register your cars, how bad were the fees for an out of state vehicle? im reading conflicting things about sales tax, etc.

SupraForums Member
    also i did a little more digging into the smog question, hopefully some one can confirm this. Apparently a smog test is not required in all counties? if ill be living in garland it does not seem to pop up on the list. Only a safety inspection...

SupraForums Member
    yes, garland is emissions, as its within DALLAS County. I live in Garland, and hate it. I work in Rockwall and like it there. LMK what more ya need help with. Theres ways around it
    95 SE Hardtop. Full 6-spd GTE swap. Haltech Elite. Hypertune. FullRace turbo manifold. Built engine 10.1:1. GSC S2 cams. Stock head portwork. 1100whp. Garrett 7675 pegged out.
    10.5 @ 150MPH, 1/4mile on drag radials, 2.1 60ft (soft launch on my old 6766 turbo setup)
    180MPH Halfmile club on my old 6766 setup @ 860whp.
    195.4MPH Texas Halfmile club. 6-spd. 3L. 7675 on kill. #drivermod
    Welder/Fabricator @ T1 Race Development.

SF Contributing Member xtoefield's Avatar
    scaring Flicktitty from bowling rematches
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Bechtold View Post
    As someone who came from Chicago I would agree. Texas is growing because it isn't liberal on the state level and has on a general level been pretty smart versus most states on economic policy. I worry for the day too many people from California, Chicago and East Coast types vote for the exact same people who ruined their states but here in Texas.
    ruined by local politicians, and not complete parties there guy. have you not seen the sit show rauner is causing in illinois?? foh.....

Well I didn't say which political party, though I could point blame largely towards one. Real simply Democrats & Republicans in Illinois, particularly in the Chicagoland area are what is ruining Illinois. Many republicans in Illinois are democrat-lite, which means not really that different. Rauner isn't what is ruining the state, he may be the "governor" but the real king of Illinois is Michael Madigan. Nothing gets done without his approval. It was the same issue with Blagojevich. Until Madigan goes nothing will get better in Illinois. Madigan is your Chicago, liberal, deeply entrenched lifetime politician. He makes his district happy and they re-elect him. the rest of the state suffers. Liberal policies are what are ruining Illinois, California, New York, etc. and why jobs are moving out of these states. Illinois is equal-opportunity. We send our Democrat and Republican governors to jail.

SupraForums Member
    i got my offer, ill be moving down to the garland area mid may. see some of you guys there soon!

Welcome to Texas. The Dallas area is growing. I'm in Houston, but I am eyeing that area for work.

SupraForums Member
    Ill be down in Garland next week for a house hunting trip. Any recommendations on where to eat or what to see?

Hey they have In-N-Out burgers so you will feel right at home. What kind of food are you looking for? Got to get some good BBQ, maybe Tex-Mex, etc.

SupraForums Member
    My recommendation for authentic Mexican would be El Sabrosa. 3426 W Kingsley Rd, Garland, TX 75041. Top 5 street tacos I've ever had, and probably the best nachos. No one in the entire place speaks English, just point at the menu. Haha. Google the hours, never been there except for lunch.

Tex-Méx Mi Cocina. There are several of them, all great.

BBQ - III Fellas BBQ. My favorite brisket. They don't sell alcohol, which is weird because it's like a sports bar theme. May be BYOB.

Sushi - Zato - 9090 Skillman St #190A, Dallas.

Best burger in TX (it says that on the door) is Flaming Burger. So dang good.

There's not much to see in Garland that I know of, unless you want to go checkout some pretty cool shops. Jotech is there mostly GTR stuff now, Dallas Performance is a pretty cool lambo shop, and if you're into that type of thing rotary performance is just a few minutes away as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ZW99GT View Post
    My recommendation for authentic Mexican would be El Sabrosa. 3426 W Kingsley Rd, Garland, TX 75041. Top 5 street tacos I've ever had, and probably the best nachos. No one in the entire place speaks English, just point at the menu. Haha. Google the hours, never been there except for lunch.
    Try Memo's in Roanoke if you ever find yourself on the northwest side

Best burger in TX (it says that on the door) is Flaming Burger. So dang good.
    Thanks for the recommendation, I have yet to find a good burger joint.

Blog Entries
    So do they test emissions on cars older than 20 years, or just visual? OBD 1 1993 Supra. Just wondering......

Steve K.
    Click here to enlarge

1993.5 Anthracite 6 SPD//PRO EFI//PTE6766//3-Row//E-85Fuel Sys//PHR I/M//GSC//IP 10/1 motor//Manley//RPS C/C//CCW C14//Brembo BBK//TRD LSD//930WHP/38PSI
    2006 Lexus LS430 UL Package

SupraForums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 57trimMKIII View Post
    Try Memo's in Roanoke if you ever find yourself on the northwest side

Thanks for the recommendation, I have yet to find a good burger joint.
    Thank you for the recommendation. If I head over there it would NOT be the first time I've driven an hour out of the way just for highly recommended tacos. haha.

I've been to everyone's favorite recommended burger spot and haven't loved any of them, except Flaming Burger.

Quote Originally Posted by 1A1 View Post
    So do they test emissions on cars older than 20 years, or just visual? OBD 1 1993 Supra. Just wondering......

Steve K.
    Cars 25 year and up are exempt from any emissions testing. The website states "1995 and older vehicles will receive the Accelerated Simulation Mode (ASM) test" for OBD1

Blog Entries
    Thank you for the recommendation. If I head over there it would NOT be the first time I've driven an hour out of the way just for highly recommended tacos. haha.

I've been to everyone's favorite recommended burger spot and haven't loved any of them, except Flaming Burger.

Cars 25 year and up are exempt from any emissions testing. The website states "1995 and older vehicles will receive the Accelerated Simulation Mode (ASM) test" for OBD1
    Sweet so next year the Dawg is exempt...decisions, decisions....

Steve K.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text