AEM V1 30-1101, LS2 COP conversion, Timing off 90degrees

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: AEM V1 30-1101, LS2 COP conversion, Timing off 90degrees

SupraForums Member

AEM V1 30-1101, LS2 COP conversion, Timing off 90degrees

Hey guys. Just got around to getting everything setup and the ls2 coils on the car. I've read through as many posts as I could find for all of the settings etc. Here's what's changed.

Cam = falling edge
    ign phasing #1 = 21.53
    dwell = 3.5ms

They were changed from the stock boxes settings of rising edge, 22, and whatever dwell it was. However with the timing light off it's now off 90 degrees. and when I try and get it re-synced in the car sputters and stalls... Runs "good" with the timing off. So i'm starting to question whats going on as to why it's off as far as it is and still runs... Anyone have a suggestion or run into this before?
    1994 NA-T Supra.
    461RWHP, 93Pump, 16Psi
    Stock GE motor, 272 cams, Home Built Header and cold side, Ebay FFIM + throttle body.
    www.SloppyMechanics.com

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

SupraForums Member
    Welp, I've copied a few other settings over from the TT cal file for the coils. Phased the rotor in on the distributor for #1 and TDC, and then re-ran the offsets starting at (0.1) instead of 0. So the offset is now at 23.71 teeth to get it lines up. But I do have a different cam on the exhaust side which unfortunately puts it right out of adjustment range mechanically on the distributor from tooth to tooth. But everything seems to line up correctly now. And knowing that the offset means nothing since there isn't a rotor anymore i'm not to worried about it. I'll have to do some more checking but I have a feeling that coil 1 was accidentally on "trail" instead of the lead setting. I'll see if I can do some more digging but all seems to be good now. But it's 29 degrees F outside, so i'll get the car started another day this week haha.

SupraForums Member
    what kind of timing light are you using? if you are using an electronic dial back timing light its easy to get the wrong reading cause the aem v1 runs wasted spark no matter what. you should be able to dial it in majority of the way with the distributor, but generally all it takes is setting motor to tdc, pulling dizzy, lining up the notches on the shaft and gear, then I turn the gear one click backwards cause it turns as you insert it into the head due to the grooves on the cam gear. then you can do a small adjustment on the aem to get it perfect to what the timing gun says.

the manual doesn't say to do the one click back and I am guessing that could be the root of your issue, I was told that and found it to be pretty good advice. Generally before you get used to it it can take a couple tries to get the distributor inserted correctly. you can do correction in the aem but you want to keep it to a minimum for best accuracy. you can see the the amount of adjustment after you use the timing wizard on the tooth sync or offset or whatever its called I forget.
    Click here to enlarge
    2003 Lexus GX470 AWD (Lifted, Tundra wheels w/285's, Armored)
    2006 Audi B7 A4 (DTM + 2.7 Bi-turbo swap almost complete)
    1971 Corvette Stingray (350 TH400, a/c, pwr steering/brakes/windows)

"Yeah I got launch control" (Points to left foot) :D

5. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

SupraForums Member
    Ali,
    Yup I think that might have been the root of the problem with the dial back light. I ended up setting that to 0, then getting everything else lined up and got pretty close. I'm actually going to do it again and see if I can get the adjustment closer. It seems like the 23.71 teeth for sync would be way off (since 24 is the max I would assume). But then again i'm not sure if that also just equates to -.29 degrees. Which would be pretty close... car ran great though. So it seems to be close at least. Just need to verify everything again and make sure.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text