Driftmotion 6465 turbo kit

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Driftmotion 6465 turbo kit

SupraForums Member

Driftmotion 6465 turbo kit

Hi guys. I may end up ditching the 6262 setup over the summer and head towards driftmotions 6465 turbo kit for the 7mgte. I'm wondering what your guys opinions are on this particular turbo and what sort of spool time I would be expecting from this setup. It's a nice kit because it comes with a external wastegate, manifold, downpipe, turbo, oil lines, intake for a pretty good price for a complete bolt on kit. Only thing I'm concerned about is what sort of performance I should expect from this turbo in terms of power and most importantly streetability. In other words, when will this turbo kick me in the ass lol. Thank you

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

SupraForums Member
    What's pushing you to ditch the 6262?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

what 6262 do you have? Precision?

It concerns me that you would get rid of a Precision turbo for a gone through china turbo.

Those kits look shiny but do not posses the same quality as, well quality components.

You get what you pay for.

To answer your question though, a 6465 with the right setup can produce a hefty number. Easily 700+

Personally I'd shy away from a 'Kit' and piece together a quality setup. It will be well worth it.
    92' High Rpm 1JZ
    |Microtech LT16C|PTE 7068|Tilton|Carrillo H Beams|Diamond Pistons|BC272|Shimless Buckets|Technico Gears|Goleby Billet Tensioner|BRE FFIM|
    |2% OB Crank|Remote EWP|Remote PS|Mechman ALT|Sumped|Meth Injected|Caged|

5. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

SupraForums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Elibutton View Post
    What's pushing you to ditch the 6262?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Honestly I want to try something new. I tried putting together a system where I was going to try to mate it to a t4 manifold with an adaptor. But in the long run it would seem complex and not very cost effective. I want an external wastegate in the end and pushing 25psi on the factory gate is very inconsistent and it doesn't hold boost well often. And I don't want to destroy the 6262 turbo by welding the gate shut or anything. So I think it would be better to sell it and go with a t4 setup. Who knows I may keep it, just trying to get people's opinions here before I make a life changing decision

475RWHP 449TQ and climing QWIKSTRIKE's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe1234 View Post
    Honestly I want to try something new. I tried putting together a system where I was going to try to mate it to a t4 manifold with an adaptor. But in the long run it would seem complex and not very cost effective. I want an external wastegate in the end and pushing 25psi on the factory gate is very inconsistent and it doesn't hold boost well often. And I don't want to destroy the 6262 turbo by welding the gate shut or anything. So I think it would be better to sell it and go with a t4 setup. Who knows I may keep it, just trying to get people's opinions here before I make a life changing decision
    Go for it.....you will be fine especially if you rebuild your block with the goodies we spoke about.

SupraForums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QWIKSTRIKE View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe1234 View Post
    Go for it.....you will be fine especially if you rebuild your block with the goodies we spoke about.
    Will do quik

SupraForums Member
    I doubt you'd gain much with the 6465. I understand you're limited with the wastegate issue but why not just get another manifold? Then you can change your AR if you wanted 700 hp. Or unless it's a REALLY old 6262. Doesn't make much sense to me

l337 M0d3r4t0r
    Yes the precision 6262 should flow the same as the 6465 DM kit. I don't even know if there was ever a good high powered supra on the DM turbo. Most I ever see out of these kits are people running 300-450 HP because they generally don't have the money for the rest of the supporting mods. When they do they get better turbos.

What 6262 has an internal gate?

Are you talking about a bolt on Sp61GT or basically one of the ones that use the stock ct26 exhaust housing bolt patterns?
    Eric W
    87 TT E85
    98 SC 300
    Click here to enlarge

SupraForums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ZaZZn View Post
    Yes the precision 6262 should flow the same as the 6465 DM kit. I don't even know if there was ever a good high powered supra on the DM turbo. Most I ever see out of these kits are people running 300-450 HP because they generally don't have the money for the rest of the supporting mods. When they do they get better turbos.

What 6262 has an internal gate?

Are you talking about a bolt on Sp61GT or basically one of the ones that use the stock ct26 exhaust housing bolt patterns?
    Yes it's a bolt on turbo like the sp61gt

SupraForums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Twin2Turbo View Post
    Personally I'd shy away from a 'Kit' and piece together a quality setup. It will be well worth it.
    Can't be said enough.

If your turbo is a precision CHRA you should be able to bolt a standard T4 turbine housing on and run your turbo on a T4 flanged manifold. I recommend buying a well built and designed manifold instead of a chinese manifold that's been tweeked to fit properly.

SP Racing will still make a manifold for the 7M I believe, and Doc Race makes a twin scroll manifold that's also very high quality. Either manifold would be the last manifold you'd have to buy.

that kit is basically a bunch of ebay parts. i'm not completely against them i'm running a ebay exhaust mani, ic, and ic piping that have worked great the past 5 years. when i first put my setup together i tried that exact same hks replica wastegate because its what the 2jzge manifold was flanged for. it literally leaked after driving like 2 miles lol. sounded like there was a hole in the exhaust. swapped it for a tial mvr44 and have had great boost control since! turbos, wastegates, clutches, ect ebay usually will disappoint you. the intercoolers, radiators, ic, some exhaust stuff, ect have better success rates.

your turbo is worth more than a new journal bearing pt6266 you could sell it get that an mvr44 and ebay mani that will be a solid set up if you don't want to shell out the money for a more highend mani right off the bat.
    Click here to enlarge
    89 supra turbo 2jz na-t, hx35 @20psi 476whp/473wtq
    now s363 564whp/517wtq @22psi, best et 11.4@123 with boost leak, best mph 131, best 60ft 1.5 10's or bust this year!!
    90 toyota pickup with 7mgte/r154 totaled :(

SupraForums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by black89t View Post
    that kit is basically a bunch of ebay parts. i'm not completely against them i'm running a ebay exhaust mani, ic, and ic piping that have worked great the past 5 years. when i first put my setup together i tried that exact same hks replica wastegate because its what the 2jzge manifold was flanged for. it literally leaked after driving like 2 miles lol. sounded like there was a hole in the exhaust. swapped it for a tial mvr44 and have had great boost control since! turbos, wastegates, clutches, ect ebay usually will disappoint you. the intercoolers, radiators, ic, some exhaust stuff, ect have better success rates.

your turbo is worth more than a new journal bearing pt6266 you could sell it get that an mvr44 and ebay mani that will be a solid set up if you don't want to shell out the money for a more highend mani right off the bat.
    +2

i too have gad great luck with "Ebay" radiators, IC, and turbo manifold i have been running all three for years now.

as far as the turbo, have you looked into Borg warner turbos? they start out very very affordable with the s300 lineup and their SX-E series is on sale from THMotosports right now for under 650.
    they have a similar turbo (6473). the sx-e would need an exhaust housing of your choice purchased separately.
    https://thmotorsports.com/borgwarner...i-2283237.aspx

what are you power goals? even the 6268 (s362sxe) ive had great luck with, it really comes to life after 20psi! it comes on hard at 4400rpm and pulls atll the way to redline.
    Last edited by sheedy126; 04-26-2017 at 06:20 PM.
    272 Schneider Cams, S362SX-E, PTR Performance FFIM, AEM Water-Methanol, ECU Masters EMU, ID1000 Injectors

91' Red Hardtop

SupraForums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by black89t View Post

Thanks man. I will stick to the 6262 for now then. I found someone that is able to make a custom wastegate that doesn't open. It's like a wastegate actuator but it doesn't have a spring inside. It's just a solid piece that's adjustable to make it so it can be closed tightly shut with no play. So maybe I'll find a way to mate the 62 to a t4 manifold and a vband downpipe.

On your 6262 turbo, do you have the higher psi wastegate actuator?

Also your are talking about the Sound Performance bolt on 6262 Precision Turbo correct? There is a bolt on v-band adapter plate for it for about $100 if you are looking to change the exhaust down pipe.
    87 Turbo Supra - Daily Summer Cruiser
    87 Non-Turbo Supra - Sold
    04 GS300 - Daily Driver

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text