89 7M-GE Catalytic converter replacement- help!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 89 7M-GE Catalytic converter replacement- help!

89 7M-GE Catalytic converter replacement- help!

So I have a completely stock 7M-GE still with it's original Cat and it's not working anymore. I want to replace it but I have no idea what goes into replacing them in this car (I'm a first time Supra owner). Is it a direct swap with a aftermarket one or do I have to buy new sensors? I thought about getting a Test Pipe because I think the car is too quiet...it's difficult for me to hear the revs, also slightly more HP doesn't hurt either. Can you help me out in this situation?

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

Track days R the best day Twin2Turbo's Avatar
    So you want to replace it but you also want to remove it to put a test pipe in? Doesn't make sense to me.

You can remove the whole exhaust and buy aftermarket. That will increase flow, sound and performance. Or you could cut the cat out and replace it with an aftermarket cat or just delete it and put a pipe in its place.

Not sure what you're confused about, it's a pretty straightforward process
    92' High Rpm 1JZ
    |Microtech LT16C|PTE 7068|Tilton|Carrillo H Beams|Billet Diamond Pistons|BC272|Shimless Buckets|Technico Gears|Goleby Billet Tensioner|BRE FFIM|
    |2% OB Crank|Remote EWP|Remote PS|Mechman ALT|Sumped|Meth Injected|Caged|

My Build Thread

I'm sorry about the confusion (I'm not very good with describing what i need)...I want to replace the old cat with either a new cat or a bolt-on test pipe. I don't want any "check engine" lights, so that's why I was asking about any sensors. I just want to make my car sound better and have a bit more power with the least amount of hassle.

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

5. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

Track days R the best day Twin2Turbo's Avatar
    It's an old car, it's not gonna care if there's a cat there or not.

Ok that's pretty much all I needed to know...thank you

YotaMD.com author
    Quote Originally Posted by Awag1000 View Post
    Ok that's pretty much all I needed to know...thank you

Check with emissions laws in your area. Removing the cat and getting a ticket could be really expensive. Replacing it with a basic aftermarket cat from a local exhaust shop might be $250 or something. A test pipe would be $50-$100, but you'll still have to get a new cat if you need to pass emissions.

Honestly, with a stock GE motor I'd just get it replaced with a normal aftermarket cat form an exhaust shop. You're NEVER going to feel a difference in power with a stock exhaust and test pipe vs a fully stock system. What I expect you would notice is that without the cat your exhaust will smell a little worse and might sound a little funny.

Here in NJ any vehicle older than 25 years doesn't have to go through emissions...I might go with a test pipe because I kinda want it to sound "better" I'm going to keep the stock muffler because it keeps the look and it should help it not to sound super ricey.

If I were you I would highly recommend you get a high flow cat and then get a 2.5" cat back exhaust system. I had that cat back exhaust on my old 87 non turbo had and it sounded great with a nice deep tone and not ricey (even had the dual tips as well for that oem look). On my 87 Turbo I have a full 3" exhaust and the exhaust fumes are strong when you remove the cat so keep that in mind.
    87 Turbo Supra - Daily Summer Cruiser
    87 Non-Turbo Supra - Sold
    04 GS300 - Daily Driver

Quote Originally Posted by plaaya69 View Post
    If I were you I would highly recommend you get a high flow cat and then get a 2.5" cat back exhaust system. I had that cat back exhaust on my old 87 non turbo had and it sounded great with a nice deep tone and not ricey (even had the dual tips as well for that oem look). On my 87 Turbo I have a full 3" exhaust and the exhaust fumes are strong when you remove the cat so keep that in mind.
    Ok thank you for your input!

YotaMD.com author
    Quote Originally Posted by Awag1000 View Post
    Here in NJ any vehicle older than 25 years doesn't have to go through emissions...I might go with a test pipe because I kinda want it to sound "better" I'm going to keep the stock muffler because it keeps the look and it should help it not to sound super ricey.

I think the cat-less sound is actually more ricey than anything, haha. Give it a shot, though. Test pipes are cheap.

At least it shouldn't be the buzzy 4cyl noise little Honda's make

I have a blitz exhaust with test pipe. Sounds exactly the same as with a hi flow cat imo. If anything it's slightly louder, but barely. And a power gain that you'll probably never notice in a 3600lb car. Now I disturb the neighbors with a bic vented ddp

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert LinkInsert ImageInsert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text