How to clean out radiator

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How to clean out radiator

I live in a giant bucket. SoupedUpSupra's Avatar

How to clean out radiator

Hey guys, I need to clean out my radiator. It is full of rusty sludge, and it is not in my car at the moment. I got it off of a parts car, and need to put it on mine, but I need it clean first. Again, the radiator is not connected to anything. It is off of my car. Anyone?

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

BigGuy624
    I cleaned mine by hooking up my water hose to the top and running it through for a couple min. It's kinda messy but I don't know of a better way. Although mine was hooked up to my car so maybe you could stop up the pipes going to the engine. Mine was all rusty and now its all clean. Good luck

I live in a giant bucket. SoupedUpSupra's Avatar
    Did that, still pretty nasty in there. Any cleaners or anything I can use?

SupraForums Member
    CLR works well on the crap that builds in rads, but don't leave it in there too long...stuff is a little hard on aluminum IIRC. Most hardware stores should have it.

Bob
    Bob Grieger
    87T

SupraForums Member
    Take it to a radiator shop and tell them to rod it out. They will take the top and bottom tanks off, rod out the cooling tubes, and reassemble. Should not charge you too much and you will know it is clean and won't need to worry about all the crud getting into the engine, heater core etc. Well worth the money if it is that bad!!

Turbonetics..faggot asses
    Dude just get a new one off ebay for a 100 bucks then there no question if its clean enough!!!! especially something that old. OVERHEATING SUCKS
    AIM: ffried ricee

90 supra turbo targa

SC61 .68 A/R TO4S Comp , EBAY SS Tubular exhaust manifold , 50mm Ext wastgate, forged JE's, ARP everything, HKS 1.2mm MHG, 3" exhaust, 26X12X3 FMIC, custom 2.5 in hardpipes HOWE 27X16 aluminum raditor (91 Taurus electric fan, K/N filter, SAFC, AFPR, walboro fp, MAFT-PRO, 550's, HK$ EVC 1, Pyrometer, boost gauge, 5 spd conversion, RPS stage 3 clutch.

If you don't want to use Ebay, try a local aftermarket radiator supply store. Call a few body shops, they buy them all the time, and if you ask nice, they might even cut you a good deal, like cost +5% if you pay in cash. (Shops get them for aprox 100 list, but really pay like 75 for them.)
    The other option is to replace the core, most radiator shops sell cores, and you reuse the end tanks, but that is not always the best choice cost wise. Do some calling around and see what you can find.
    I just flushed out mine with clean water, and it was good. Use the CLR, and see how that turns out, remember to flush out your radiator with lots of clean water though, the CLR will clean up any deposits you might have, but it will reveal any leaks too.

Turbonetics..faggot asses
    $125 shipped new off ebay. I'd rather be safe myself and not take any chances. Think of it as $125 vs possible overheating, failure, You being pissed off, and more down time for the supra. If its not that old I guess just clean it. But if it came from the factory in the car dude just replace it.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text