piston cooling = oil jets

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: piston cooling = oil jets

Yellowmkiv

piston cooling = oil jets

Hi all,
    There are many ways to cool and protect the pistons:
    1- Ceramic thermal coating.
    2- Oil coolers, but will not provide extra lubricant.
    3- Oil jets.
    I was wondering if anybody did this mode to his engine or planning to do it, as we all know high combustion temp. transfer alot of heat to the pistons, rings, and cylinder. oil jets (squirters) can be added to cool the pistons domes and provide additional lubricant to the skirts and cylinder wall... ((installation)) you can use .040 - .080 inch oil jets and drill it to the main bearing web. The jets get the oil from the main bearing oil feed passage, and at raising oil pressure the jets will spray oil at the skirts and cylinder wall. To help controling any extra oil flying around the crankcase, crankshaft scraper can be easily fabricated and attached to the main bearing webs. In my opinion, this mode might help highly modfied supra from melting pistons.

Yellow mkiv
    ALI

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

dial
    TTs already come with oil squirters,"jets", from the factory. Add an oil cooler an then start working on the cooling sytem, ie the radiator, thermastat and mixture.

Yellowmkiv
    Hi Dial,
    Thanks for the replay, but dont u think the stock jets migh get cloged in high oil pressure, or maybe worn out in a high miles engines...what about replacing those jets with bigger ones?
    Yellow mkiv
    Ali

If you want to spend money then have a blast, but as dial pointed out we already have squirters. Would bigger be better, maybe...but who wants to spend money on something that is already functioning fine. Now, if you show some data that says the squirters get clogged, or that you're not getting proper cooling it might be something of interest.

Bigger squirters=less oil pressure at the mains(not good). Leave it to the Toyota guys and leave it alone. There are very few things that need to be upgraded in the bottom end. Save your money and buy a single. Drew

Yellowmkiv
    Ubermensh & 65vette396 thanks for replay,
    In my 1st post, i mentioned (highly modified engine) 800+++ hp, but i guess its fine with 2JZ-GTE engine in that range of power....In conclusion,we talked about Oil jets in supras, and we left some things for the future to upgrade

Yellow mkiv
    Ali

----Don't allow your need for speed to compromise safety----

Re: piston cooling = oil jets

1. The Pistons do have a thermal coating stock
    2. I believe it has an oil cooler stock but a larger one would be nice
    3.Oil jets under the pistons are also stock

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting