Supra Forums banner

noob question: mkIII aftermarket turbo exhaust manifold

7K views 41 replies 19 participants last post by  Enraged 
G
#1 ·
hey, I am new on this board and sumwhat new to supra's. I have already tried the search function for aftermarket manifold and found nothing specific. Unless I am doing something wrong.

So my question is what kind of aftermarket turbo manifolds are available for the mkIII. I was wondering if you guys have pictures of the types of manifold and which one is best for the buck, equal length, etc. any recommendation

I have also heard that stock will do just as good if mildly ported.

thanks,
Khang

#27 ·
AWIDESUPIE said:
Sooo ... Ron ... where are you getting full boost at in the rpm range? I would think with that large of a turbo you would make full past 4k rpm. However ... your video does seem to show some fast spool ... and the flow capability and quality work that is evident in the few pictures I just looked at tells me good things. I just want to hear it from you. When does initial spool start and full come into play in the rpm range?
I had a TO4E with the RPS and spool up time is very much the same. Depends which gear/load I'm at, but 1st and 2nd gear I hit full quick. I think because the motor revs quicker though. Generally, in the 3800-4000 rpm and I have rev limiter set at 7200 rpm. Lowest I've seen on the log as far as initial spool is at ~2800 rpm. Everything varies with the load though.
HTH.

G
#31 ·
hey ron, that manifold is also a masterpiece. I like how the collectors is welded w/ the divider. Also is that a burns collector? How much did you buy it for? Or did you get that manifold custom tig welded? If so, do you happen to know where I can get the flanges for it ?

thanks,
Khang

BTW, your coor look awesome!

#32 ·
Thanks again for the comments :) The only part of the header I didn't make are the 2 collectors. They are made by burnsstainless. I had to modify them to fit the square holes of the turbo flange. All the flanges are made from .5" 321 ss plates that I bought. I did all the cutting, fitting and welding.

--Ron

#35 ·
lost_MK3 said:
yeah ron, that manifold looks like alot of time was put into it. How long did it take you to piece that beauty together and that manifold is blinging.... did you polish it yourself?
It took about 2 weeks working about 3-4 hrs a day, including the prototyping. I got confident and stopped making mock up runners after the third runner. Polishing it wasn't that hard either; I just used big dia. polishing wheel on a hand held ginder on the tight spots. It would have been a better choice to polish each runner before final welding but I only decided to polish when everything was done.

--Ron

#37 ·
SuperRunner said:
So did you also make the flange that bolts to the head?

What size diamter is the tubing?
Yes, I made the flanges. I had access to a school machine shop at the time. Broke a few cutters and ended up taking it (the main flange) to a local shop for finishing the runner holes. The primary tubing size is 1 5/8 OD.

#38 ·
jt2ma71 said:
Yes, I made the flanges. I had access to a school machine shop at the time. Broke a few cutters and ended up taking it (the main flange) to a local shop for finishing the runner holes. The primary tubing size is 1 5/8 OD.
Broke a cutter? I would have assumed you used plasma. What kind of cutter?

I will be starting a 2JZGE-GTE conversion fairly shortly(waiting on money for turbo), and putting it in my 2,000lb 89 pickup. Unfortuantly, I don't have access to a tig, so I will be mig'ing it(No SS) :(

Anyway, looks gorgeous. I must give alms to your work.

#39 ·
SuperRunner said:
Broke a cutter? I would have assumed you used plasma. What kind of cutter?

I will be starting a 2JZGE-GTE conversion fairly shortly(waiting on money for turbo), and putting it in my 2,000lb 89 pickup. Unfortuantly, I don't have access to a tig, so I will be mig'ing it(No SS) :(

Anyway, looks gorgeous. I must give alms to your work.
Nope, all flanges where machined. Our plasma in school wouldn't cut 1/2 SS, or so my instructor said. I did cut some .25 321 with it though. We had a big automated plasma cutter but the computer was acting up. Cutters were carbide. Thanks.

#40 ·
Ron, why did you go with the longer runners? better spoolup? im currently an ME student, and once the teachers know me a bit better, i should be able to get some time in the machine shop. lathes, mills, a TIG, and if im lucky, CNC mill and CNC lathe :)

right now im looking into building an intake manifold (ive read through the previous threads about yours, amazing work). a few questions for you on it, what is the internal displacement of your plenum? from what ive been reading, some say min 80% of your engine displacement, others say 120%.

as for the exhaust manifold, since im still on stock turbo, it would be nothing more than an experiment really, i was considering just building it with mild steel, then having it ceramic coated. do you think i would see much gain with a basic log-style, or maybe a weld-el tubular mani?

sorry for all the questions, the machine shop is making me drool :) i love fabricating, i just need the skills to do it properly.

#42 · (Edited)
i'm lookin forward to it :)

ive actually used the CNC before, i took a night course about a year and a half ago. once the CNC teacher finds the time, we're going to finish up a little project i did back in the night course.... solid aluminum shift knobs :) prety good for $20 in aluminum stock and a few set screws...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.