what makes a single turbo MKIV supra so fast??

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: what makes a single turbo MKIV supra so fast??

GetSmackedSpili

what makes a single turbo MKIV supra so fast??

k im serious, im aware how fast these cars r, but i just dont get it.

its a 3 liter engine, with one turbo, rear wheel drive car.
    can handle 800+ rwhp stock blah blah blah

what i dont get is how, for example, a supercharged viper, or a mustang with a turbo on it making the same hp not able to beat it???

is it the gearing that makes the supra so fast??

im just curious

488ci V10 Power
    BIIIIIIG TURBO!
    1999 Viper GTS/ACR Edition - Silver/Blue Stripes (1 of 30 Built)
    Roe Supercharged, T&D Rockers, PBJ Intake, Borla Exhaust
    618 rwhp, 651 ft/lbs torque

1998 Quicksilver Supra Turbo - 980rwhp / 746 tq
    Sound Performance Built and Tuned
    SOLD

Re: what makes a single turbo MKIV supra so fast??

Originally posted by GetSmackedSpili

what i dont get is how, for example, a supercharged viper, or a mustang with a turbo on it making the same hp not able to beat it???
    Driver!

GetSmackedSpili
    guys im serious

im really curious to find out

waht makes its so much better and give it the ability to walk from 10 second mustangs

488ci V10 Power
    guys im serious

im really curious to find out

waht makes its so much better and give it the ability to walk from 10 second mustangs
    I answered your question already! ONE BIG ASS TURBO!

GetSmackedSpili
    sorry to bring the mustang example into this again

but if u look at some of the turbo mustangs vs. supra vids that exist. u can see that the mustangs do have huge turbos, and produce same hp as the supra, with less lag, cuz of more displacement, but they still get raped

On the highway? Gearing.

trilabs
    The modifications.

....?

How does my exhaust smell Bad4URHeart's Avatar
    Gearing and rpm range. Most big singles have full boost from 4000-8500 rpms. Most v8 domestic have huge torque numbers but a much smaller HP band.

SupraForums Member
    sorry to bring the mustang example into this again

but if u look at some of the turbo mustangs vs. supra vids that exist. u can see that the mustangs do have huge turbos, and produce same hp as the supra, with less lag, cuz of more displacement, but they still get raped
    Show us some of these videos of mustangs with huge turbos racing single turbo supras with the same horsepower. If you're watching a turbo mustang vs. single turbo supra and you think they're making equal horsepower, chances are you're wrong. Remember a supra can make 800+ RWHP on the stock block, crank, rods, and pistons. For a 5.0 mustang to make more than about 550 RWHP, you need to go spend atleast 1500 dollars on a new block, a grand on a new crank, a grand on some good rods, and 800 on some pistons. It's pretty cost prohibitive to make a ton of power. A lot of the races you see of supras are 750+ RWHP cars vs. stock block 306 mustangs with a vortech making 500 RWHP. Yes, it may be a 10-second mustang, but if it's only doing 125-130 MPH traps in the 1/4 it is going to get raped on the highway by a supra that may run low 11's, but it's doing it at 140 MPH. Put an 800 RWHP single turbo supra next to an 800 RWHP single turbo mustang next to each other, with similar weight, going from say a 40 dig, with the supra not spraying, the supra would have almost NO chance. The big-inch motor spools the turbo faster, so you make more low end torque and accelerate much harder, and you will have a much more broad powerband alltogether, so even though they may make equal peak RWHP the larger inch turbo motor will have a TON more area under the curve, a ton more average horsepower, and accelerate faster.

GetSmackedSpili
    turbofiveoh, good responce
    i think i understand it more

so theoretically, if u had a 800rwhp single turbo mustang, with a better geared transmission, the 800rwhp single turbo supra would have no chance?? even though the supra has a broader rpm range?? allthough, it will be the lack of displacement holding it back

guys, im just trying to learn, because it is unbalievable to watch these cars kill ferraris on the highway

SupraForums Member
    turbofiveoh, good responce
    i think i understand it more

so theoretically, if u had a 800rwhp single turbo mustang, with a better geared transmission, the 800rwhp single turbo supra would have no chance?? even though the supra has a broader rpm range?? allthough, it will be the lack of displacement holding it back

guys, im just trying to learn, because it is unbalievable to watch these cars kill ferraris on the highway
    I hope my little quickie graph I made explains this a little bit better.
    Attached Images

it's really hard to quantify this question with a single concise answer given all the variables, but basically with an equal peak horsepower, the higher displacement engine -generally- will have an advantage over a smaller one, however, it depends also on the gearing of both cars, available rpm range and area under the curve which determines what each car will do in each gear etc. also, since we are speaking of mustangs, they are -usually- equipped better for the launch which will nine times out of ten rocket them right out of the hole past -most- supras. it's not a good idea to assume much more past this, because there are simply too many variables in the equation.

that said, if i had to call it, hp for hp i'd say an average 800hp mustang would walk a common 800hp supra out of the hole, and the supra would definitely, not have an easy time catching up, if at all.

I agree.

Originally posted by turbofiveoh
    I hope my little quickie graph I made explains this a little bit better.

GetSmackedSpili
    thanks fellas

so those vidoes that "claim" a 800rwhp mustang vs. 800rwhp supra r not accurate

SupraForums Member
    Originally posted by MK4LIFE
    I answered your question already! ONE BIG ASS TURBO!
    DON'T LISTEN TO THIS GUY, everyone knows it's our big ass wing.
    Yes my car is black. Yes thats my hood. It's shiny huh?

Originally posted by LIMITED
    DON'T LISTEN TO THIS GUY, everyone knows it's our big ass wing.

NO..... DON`T LISTEN TO THIS GUY, everybody knows it`s our great looks and long hair who makes the Dawg so fast.
    Black MkIV 1993 Hardtop, Still Bpu
    Black MkIV 1994 T51r Kai, AEM SOLD
    Black Lightning 2002 APU++ 500rwhp+
    Black rs4 2001 stage 3 400awhp SOLD

Now looking for a new baby

Driving with OEM engine Mounts, is like fucking with a Darn condom!!! You can`t feel shit, when the girl is trying to Rock your world!!!

Originally posted by TheDane
    NO..... DON`T LISTEN TO THIS GUY, everybody knows it`s our great looks and long hair who makes the Dawg so fast.
    NO NO..... DON'T LISTEN TO THIS GUY, everybody knows it's because for those 10 seconds or less, you're free.

2JZ no shit!

billy

1993 Supra ~ Garrett, Full-Race, Motec, John Reed tuning
    3020lbs and going for 29XX = weight junkie

Originally posted by 4G63
    NO NO..... DON'T LISTEN TO THIS GUY, everybody knows it's because for those 10 seconds or less, you're free.

2JZ no shit!

billy

NO NO....DON'T LISTEN TO THIS GUY, everybody knows it's because we have 2 bottles.....two of the big ones.
    You've never surfed have you?

Then you don't know the feeling.
    To know the feeling you have to experience it.
    To experience the feeling you have to surf.
    And, in turn, you surf for that feeling.

SupraForums Member
    the thing with that graph is this, most mustang and higher ci motors make there hp at lets say 5500rpm, but it fades off to redline. So they might make 500rwhp at 5500rpm, but it drops to 450rwhp at 6500rpms.

With a big single supra, it only gets higher as the revs climb. And when your on a highway race, your always in that deep rev range making good power.

Other things like gearing and such make a big part too.

Originally posted by MKIV Surfer
    NO NO....DON'T LISTEN TO THIS GUY, everybody knows it's because we have 2 bottles.....two of the big ones.
    NO NO.....DON'T LISTEN TO THIS GUY, Everybody knows it's because the rotary gurder is attached to the canuter valve on our cars, which in turn recalibrates the articulation unit. DUH!
    -88 LS1 RX7
    *heads/cam/turbocharged/200-4r'd

Originally posted by MDoe8
    NO NO.....DON'T LISTEN TO THIS GUY, Everybody knows it's because the rotary gurder is attached to the canuter valve on our cars, which in turn recalibrates the articulation unit. DUH!

SupraForums Member
    Originally posted by ScrewDrvr
    the thing with that graph is this, most mustang and higher ci motors make there hp at lets say 5500rpm, but it fades off to redline. So they might make 500rwhp at 5500rpm, but it drops to 450rwhp at 6500rpms.

With a big single supra, it only gets higher as the revs climb. And when your on a highway race, your always in that deep rev range making good power.

Other things like gearing and such make a big part too.
    If a motor is maxing out 500 RWHP @ 5500 RPM's, the person wouldn't spin the motor to 6500 RPM's

EG: Take a look at the dyno sheet of this mustang. 19 pounds of boost from a T76 Q-trim, motor is only spinning to 5600 RPM's. If you raced this 864 RWHP car vs. 864 RWHP supra, what do you think is going to win? The supra keeps building power as the revs go, while the mustang has a powerband as flat as Saskatchewan and is pulling just as hard, but sooner in the rev range and it will have peak power longer; and therefore will accelerate quicker.

Edit: Please don't take this the wrong way and flame me for being a troll or anything, as I do like supras and have owned a couple. My point was that more area under the curve means faster acceleration, and 99 times out of 100 a larger displacement motor is going to have more area under the curve than a small displacement motor, so given equal peak horsepower the bigger motor usually wins. Most highway races you see of big power supras are won because of a massive advantage in power and superior aerodynamics to your average mustang or camaro.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by turbofiveoh; 03-07-2004 at 01:45 PM.

Originally posted by turbofiveoh
    Most highway races you see of big power supras are won because of a massive advantage in power and superior aerodynamics to your average mustang or camaro.
    ...and the fact that the Supra is geared to 154mph in it's 1:1 gear and 207mph in the overdrive gear (talking 6spds here).

Don't underestimate the effect of gearing. You can make huge power but if you're geared to short or too wide you will lose on the highway.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast