Supra Forums banner

what makes a single turbo MKIV supra so fast??

17K views 61 replies 30 participants last post by  Cobolt 
G
#1 ·
k im serious, im aware how fast these cars r, but i just dont get it.

its a 3 liter engine, with one turbo, rear wheel drive car.
can handle 800+ rwhp stock blah blah blah

what i dont get is how, for example, a supercharged viper, or a mustang with a turbo on it making the same hp not able to beat it???

is it the gearing that makes the supra so fast??

im just curious

#5 ·
GetSmackedSpili said:
guys im serious

im really curious to find out

waht makes its so much better and give it the ability to walk from 10 second mustangs
I answered your question already! ONE BIG ASS TURBO!

G
#6 ·
sorry to bring the mustang example into this again

but if u look at some of the turbo mustangs vs. supra vids that exist. u can see that the mustangs do have huge turbos, and produce same hp as the supra, with less lag, cuz of more displacement, but they still get raped

#10 ·
GetSmackedSpili said:
sorry to bring the mustang example into this again

but if u look at some of the turbo mustangs vs. supra vids that exist. u can see that the mustangs do have huge turbos, and produce same hp as the supra, with less lag, cuz of more displacement, but they still get raped
Show us some of these videos of mustangs with huge turbos racing single turbo supras with the same horsepower. If you're watching a turbo mustang vs. single turbo supra and you think they're making equal horsepower, chances are you're wrong. Remember a supra can make 800+ RWHP on the stock block, crank, rods, and pistons. For a 5.0 mustang to make more than about 550 RWHP, you need to go spend atleast 1500 dollars on a new block, a grand on a new crank, a grand on some good rods, and 800 on some pistons. It's pretty cost prohibitive to make a ton of power. A lot of the races you see of supras are 750+ RWHP cars vs. stock block 306 mustangs with a vortech making 500 RWHP. Yes, it may be a 10-second mustang, but if it's only doing 125-130 MPH traps in the 1/4 it is going to get raped on the highway by a supra that may run low 11's, but it's doing it at 140 MPH. Put an 800 RWHP single turbo supra next to an 800 RWHP single turbo mustang next to each other, with similar weight, going from say a 40 dig, with the supra not spraying, the supra would have almost NO chance. The big-inch motor spools the turbo faster, so you make more low end torque and accelerate much harder, and you will have a much more broad powerband alltogether, so even though they may make equal peak RWHP the larger inch turbo motor will have a TON more area under the curve, a ton more average horsepower, and accelerate faster.

G
#12 ·
turbofiveoh, good responce
i think i understand it more

so theoretically, if u had a 800rwhp single turbo mustang, with a better geared transmission, the 800rwhp single turbo supra would have no chance?? even though the supra has a broader rpm range?? allthough, it will be the lack of displacement holding it back

guys, im just trying to learn, because it is unbalievable to watch these cars kill ferraris on the highway

#13 ·
GetSmackedSpili said:
turbofiveoh, good responce
i think i understand it more

so theoretically, if u had a 800rwhp single turbo mustang, with a better geared transmission, the 800rwhp single turbo supra would have no chance?? even though the supra has a broader rpm range?? allthough, it will be the lack of displacement holding it back

guys, im just trying to learn, because it is unbalievable to watch these cars kill ferraris on the highway
I hope my little quickie graph I made explains this a little bit better.

#14 ·
it's really hard to quantify this question with a single concise answer given all the variables, but basically with an equal peak horsepower, the higher displacement engine -generally- will have an advantage over a smaller one, however, it depends also on the gearing of both cars, available rpm range and area under the curve which determines what each car will do in each gear etc. also, since we are speaking of mustangs, they are -usually- equipped better for the launch which will nine times out of ten rocket them right out of the hole past -most- supras. it's not a good idea to assume much more past this, because there are simply too many variables in the equation.

that said, if i had to call it, hp for hp i'd say an average 800hp mustang would walk a common 800hp supra out of the hole, and the supra would definitely, not have an easy time catching up, if at all.

#18 ·
LIMITED said:
DON'T LISTEN TO THIS GUY, everyone knows it's our big ass wing.

NO..... DON`T LISTEN TO THIS GUY, everybody knows it`s our great looks and long hair who makes the Dawg so fast. :p

#19 ·
TheDane said:
NO..... DON`T LISTEN TO THIS GUY, everybody knows it`s our great looks and long hair who makes the Dawg so fast. :p
NO NO..... DON'T LISTEN TO THIS GUY, everybody knows it's because for those 10 seconds or less, you're free.

2JZ no shit!

billy

#20 ·
4G63 said:
NO NO..... DON'T LISTEN TO THIS GUY, everybody knows it's because for those 10 seconds or less, you're free.

2JZ no shit!

billy

NO NO....DON'T LISTEN TO THIS GUY, everybody knows it's because we have 2 bottles.....two of the big ones.

#21 ·
the thing with that graph is this, most mustang and higher ci motors make there hp at lets say 5500rpm, but it fades off to redline. So they might make 500rwhp at 5500rpm, but it drops to 450rwhp at 6500rpms.

With a big single supra, it only gets higher as the revs climb. And when your on a highway race, your always in that deep rev range making good power.

Other things like gearing and such make a big part too.

#22 ·
MKIV Surfer said:
NO NO....DON'T LISTEN TO THIS GUY, everybody knows it's because we have 2 bottles.....two of the big ones.
NO NO.....DON'T LISTEN TO THIS GUY, Everybody knows it's because the rotary gurder is attached to the canuter valve on our cars, which in turn recalibrates the articulation unit. DUH!

#24 · (Edited)
ScrewDrvr said:
the thing with that graph is this, most mustang and higher ci motors make there hp at lets say 5500rpm, but it fades off to redline. So they might make 500rwhp at 5500rpm, but it drops to 450rwhp at 6500rpms.

With a big single supra, it only gets higher as the revs climb. And when your on a highway race, your always in that deep rev range making good power.

Other things like gearing and such make a big part too.
If a motor is maxing out 500 RWHP @ 5500 RPM's, the person wouldn't spin the motor to 6500 RPM's :rolleyes:

EG: Take a look at the dyno sheet of this mustang. 19 pounds of boost from a T76 Q-trim, motor is only spinning to 5600 RPM's. If you raced this 864 RWHP car vs. 864 RWHP supra, what do you think is going to win? The supra keeps building power as the revs go, while the mustang has a powerband as flat as Saskatchewan and is pulling just as hard, but sooner in the rev range and it will have peak power longer; and therefore will accelerate quicker.

Edit: Please don't take this the wrong way and flame me for being a troll or anything, as I do like supras and have owned a couple. My point was that more area under the curve means faster acceleration, and 99 times out of 100 a larger displacement motor is going to have more area under the curve than a small displacement motor, so given equal peak horsepower the bigger motor usually wins. Most highway races you see of big power supras are won because of a massive advantage in power and superior aerodynamics to your average mustang or camaro.

#25 ·
turbofiveoh said:
Most highway races you see of big power supras are won because of a massive advantage in power and superior aerodynamics to your average mustang or camaro.
...and the fact that the Supra is geared to 154mph in it's 1:1 gear and 207mph in the overdrive gear (talking 6spds here).

Don't underestimate the effect of gearing. You can make huge power but if you're geared to short or too wide you will lose on the highway.

G
#26 ·
When racing, in what rpm range do you spend most of your time in? It's easy for me to keep the car over 4.5krpm (most efficient and useable power range).

That's why you need to re-think that graph.

Doesn't matter whether the larger displacement car makes more power under 4krpm, it's if you can keep the car in it's effieciency range (which we can).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.