Supra Forums banner

Just changed spark plugs car starts but smokes

29K views 20 replies 6 participants last post by  Chrisco 
#1 ·
Well after fouling my old plugs from excessive cranking, i replaced my spark plugs and started the car up on first crank without a problem, now smoke is coming out my exhaust and alot of smoke from the engine bay, near turbo when car is on, but when its off it comes out near front of the valve cover.. not sure ... anyone know what it could be?

G
#2 ·
Well, I had a smoking turbo problem, but it was just that the bolts holdiing the turbo to the motor were so loose I could move them by hand, so I tightened them and have been fine ever since. It could be the same for the valve covers, when I got my car and changed the spark plugs the valve cover bolts were so loose I could move them by hand as well. If that's the case was there alot of oil in the plug valley when you changed your spark plugs? If so, that's all the oil that fell into the plug holes and is now being burned off... what colour is the smoke?

G
#4 ·
Yes it'll be coming out the exhaust because you have oil in the combustion chamber, so now oil is being ignited along with the gas so itl'll come out the exhaust. Tighten those valve covers, also when I changed my plugs I took an old turkey baster and sucked out all the oil cleaned everything up then put the plugs in. I has some black smoke for a little bit, but after a few days it went away. This is normal if it only happens for a day or so.

#7 ·
not yet, im going to though soon as i can get up to sacramento, and have talk with poi_dog.. he is gonna change my harness 2, also need to replace my valve cover gasket and gasket 3 :(

#10 ·
well car wont start again... after a day of it starting fine does the same thing, next thing im gonna change the wires.. and see what sup with that, if not could it be the coil pack?i notice that on one of them you cant see the metal inside so i took a screwdriver and scraped the crap out... but i dunno. where is the fuel pump located? hard to get to?

G
#12 ·
damn boyer i told you to get the starter replaced, and the smoke you should be normal, if its coming from the engine bay its most likely you need to tighten something down or a gasket is gone, look more closer once and while those problems should be easy to fix, btw maybe your timing is off or cps is broken.

#13 ·
boyer said:
well car wont start again... after a day of it starting fine does the same thing, next thing im gonna change the wires.. and see what sup with that, if not could it be the coil pack?i notice that on one of them you cant see the metal inside so i took a screwdriver and scraped the crap out... but i dunno. where is the fuel pump located? hard to get to?

Quit working on cars period!:p

#15 ·
Quit working on cars period!
posts like that really help :rolleyes: ...

let it just be a lesson learned about letting a garage work on your car. they will never love it as much as you do, and therefor they will never be as careful as you will. take the extra time to learn how to do it, instead of having to fix other peoples mistakes later.

#18 ·
crazyone2044 said:
if oil is coming out from the valve cover , it can easy go down to a header which is very hot and burns oil.
this what happend to me
just change these damn gaskets 14$
that was fixed now it doesnt start up again, just keeps cranking but wont start it like putz like it wants to start up but then doesnt..

#20 ·
And also.. i didn't see anyone else mentioning it but black smoke isn't caused by burning oil.. that'd be blue smoke. Black smoke from the exhaust usually means unburned fuel... soooo maybe you're not getting enough spark??

#21 ·
boyer said:
Here's my best guess. When you scraped the crap out of the coil pack you shorted it out. This would cause some smoke from the engine. The coil pack not functioning properly would then cause the loss of spark and unburnt fuel exiting the exhaust system causing the black smoke out the tail pipe. Get those coil packs checked.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.