Pressure Washing under the car

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pressure Washing under the car

At My Signal Unleash Hell oliver's Avatar

Pressure Washing under the car

Any of you have ever pressure washed the undercarriage of the Supra or any car?
    I was thinking about doing this but I'm not sure if I could damage anything under there. I have a small 1740psi Husky pressure washer. Any thoughts?
    Thanks

--Oliver

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

I wolun't use anything more then low pressure water hose to wash

SupraForums Member
    I pressure wash the arches and underbody. But on power pressure. That sort of preesure is likely to damage the undercoat. Use a lower pressure and be careful what you point it at, and you'll be fine.

SupraForums Member
    First off, I know this thread is from 2004. I learned to make friends with the search feature =)

I have my build torn apart on the lift now and wondering how to clean all the oil (from a blown VPC popping out my dipstick) from underneath the car. I was thinking a steam cleaner followed by re-doing the entire undercoat etc. Eventually the car will be getting fully painted as well. Any helpful suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Jason; 01-19-2013 at 11:02 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by My Future Ex-wife
    If brains were gasoline, you wouldn't run a piss ant's go-cart two laps around a Cheerio

2012 1084HP GT-R | Internet Car
    2007 BMW 335i E90 6spd with COBB | Daily
    2007 Hemi Dodge | Hauler
    1997 Eclipse Spyder GST | The reason I have no IRL friends

I would start with some degreaser, soap and water, and a brush and see where that gets you. It might do the trick for you. As mentioned you dont want to damage anything. Take your time.
    93.5 white/black Hardtop TT
    Stock shortblock/head,HKS 272's, 1200cc injectors, 76 GTS, RPS CC, SP driveshaft, Trd diff, Pro EFI,Tein HA's, RMR Intake manifold, Pro EFI throttle body, Tuned by Larry at SP

9.76@142.85 60' 1.43Old 74gts numbers

SupraForums Member
    You will be fine with degreaser and a pressure washer just don't pressure wash it very very close cause I'm sure it will start peeling the undercoat. Keep it a safe distance away and it will be fine, I've done a few of my cars that way.

SupraForums Member supralover93's Avatar
    just use degrease and a pressure washer from maybe 12-16" and your be fine. if you hold it too close you might take the undercoating off which might take paint with it. i wouldn't worry about redoing the undercoating because it gonna be a PITA (unless its a show car or something) it will be pointless.

93 turbo targa
    auto
    BPU

Done this to a few supras on the lift. Cars that blow the fms love it. Heed warnings above and you'll have no issue
    94 AP built 3.4 alpine
    93 1A1 htop wingless

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchy4856 View Post
    First off, I know this thread is from 2004. I learned to make friends with the search feature =)

I have my build torn apart on the lift now and wondering how to clean all the oil (from a blown VPC popping out my dipstick) from underneath the car. I was thinking a steam cleaner followed by re-doing the entire undercoat etc. Eventually the car will be getting fully painted as well. Any helpful suggestions is greatly appreciated.

your best friend is going to be getting some good degreaser like meguiars APC, or something similar. simple green is sort of iffy compared to newer formulas of cleaner/degreasers. you could even use engine brite if there is nothing that could be damaged by it (which there shouldn't).

second thing to do would be to let it soak, and then AGITATE with a bristle brush.

pressure washing is good, but only if you take steps to clean it real well first, a good pressure wash will remove large particles, but just spraying high pressure water you will find yourself stuck under it getting soaked trying to get a tiny section clean because of the composition of grease/oil and road gunk.

so repeat the degreaser agitation step a couple of times, and use the pressure washer to rinse it away and get any loosened particles.

if you have access to a quality steam cleaner, that may do the trick just as well because heated water/vapor is great at removing grease and such, much better than high pressure cold water.

SupraForums Member
    I have this question as well,

I had had my front fenders pulled to fit my wheels, because of this I am running no front mud guard at all. On top of this due to the cold weather the roads around here get salted a lot.

I'd like to just jack the car up at high as possible infront of my house, or possibley get it on a hoist.

At the front fenders I believe there are some wires running through the top? Since I'm running no mug guards I'd like to have any wires tapped off and secured.. but just spraying some degreaser everywhere and then power washing should clean it up good enough? I was planning on refurbishing/painting my calipers soon, so I will probably undertake this job then.
    Last edited by msupra; 01-19-2013 at 09:20 PM.

I did this recently. My paranoid ass was worried about the crushed/almost non-existent leftover salt on the road when I took it around the block to have it running since it's been sitting for a while. I just used a regular handle on my hose. I spread the water evenly with quick hand movements avoiding hitting the underside with a lot of force. I washed off all the 'non-existent' salt just so my ass can have peace of mind.

I say you can do it with no problems as long as you don't overdo it.
    1995 Black / Black Auto Supra Turbo - Stock.... for now

Quote Originally Posted by msupra View Post
    I have this question as well,

I had had my front fenders pulled to fit my wheels, because of this I am running no front mud guard at all. On top of this due to the cold weather the roads around here get salted a lot.

I'd like to just jack the car up at high as possible infront of my house, or possibley get it on a hoist.

At the front fenders I believe there are some wires running through the top? Since I'm running no mug guards I'd like to have any wires tapped off and secured.. but just spraying some degreaser everywhere and then power washing should clean it up good enough? I was planning on refurbishing/painting my calipers soon, so I will probably undertake this job then.
    any place that gets salted, you should have good fender well liners and/or not drive it when its been salted recently or when they throw rocks down is even worse.

what is going to happen is, you are going to kick up rocks and eventually once you wear through the coating on the underside of the fender, you are going to get rust on the bottom and it will bubble up through the paint on top and then your looking at a lot of money to fix/paint.

as far as wires, you should try to reroute those wires if you arent running any fender liners, leaving them exposed is asking for the problem a lot of people have when they go super low. they end up not noticing til its too late and they rub through multiple wires causing shorts and big problems with the body electrical.

if you can't re-reoute or its too much trouble, then buy some really good high grade wire insulation cover and make sure to secure them up and away from the wheels after either wrapping them, or protecting them in some other way.

formerly Vicksupra Silver Supra's Avatar
    ^^^good advice in both Kracin posts.
    '94 T Auto Silver Bullet

SupraForums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior81 View Post
    I would start with some degreaser, soap and water, and a brush and see where that gets you. It might do the trick for you. As mentioned you dont want to damage anything. Take your time.
    That is exactly what I would do ^^^

SupraForums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crxfreak1117 View Post
    You will be fine with degreaser and a pressure washer just don't pressure wash it very very close cause I'm sure it will start peeling the undercoat. Keep it a safe distance away and it will be fine, I've done a few of my cars that way.
    I too have done this what I usually do is jack up the car on all 4 then spray degreaser and let it sit for like
    10-15 minutes then after the soaking period I use a scrubing brush to loosen any dirt the degreaser missed
    finally I proceed to Rinse the undercarrige good luck hope this helps you out.

SupraForums Member
    once my car is back to a roller i will be doing this on a nice day.
    2004 evo. First stock block Evo in 9's built and sponsored by STM...SOLD

follow some detailing threads of the pro's if you have any concerns.

they don't bother with pressure washers, as you get far more done with less mess by simply using a good solution, a good brush. elbow grease and a pump sprayed to rinse away particles (the harder you blast the more you will get dirt in areas that might be hard to reach later, flinging crap everywhere)

+ Reply to Thread