Supra Forums banner

what do bad wheel bearings sound like or just brakes?

12K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  Ckanderson 
#1 ·
When I coast by another car, or close to a building i notice my car makes a shimming noise of like metal on metal, everytime the wheel turns it makes the noise, its not that loud, but still annoying knowing its there, i first noticed it a while ago when I had new brake pads put in, did they not move the piston on the caliper back far enough and its just lightly rubbing or does it sound liek a bad wheel bearing? Is the brake pad lightly rubbing in one spot possible because for stock pads they put out a HUGE amount of brake dust, more then normal I assume.

#3 ·
when the bearings on my gf's civic went out (rear passenger side ONLY).....it made a really loud whirring noise, very similar to road noise you get from the tires but MUCH louder. it was enough to give me a horrible headache when on the freeway at 65-80.

so that might rule out a bad wheel bearing but im not POSITIVE, just sharing some info as far as noises are concerned.

#6 ·
I have something similar going on. Its coming from my driver side rear. Replacing the wheel bearing myself not to long ago. I know thats not it.

When my wheel bearing went out. It started off as a soft grinding until it go so bad that the whole car was shaking, snap, crackle, pop style.

#7 ·
If your wheel bearings get that bad....I hope you also replace the wheel hubs!!

#8 ·
I wondered the same thing. I know of 2 MKIVs here that do it....the MKIVs here that dont do it are all n/as...dont know if this has anything to do with it, but sort of a strange coincidence, isnt it? Well if you figure it out, let us know.....its sort of a "binding" noise when you turn the wheel, right? Dont have to be moving or anything...right?

#10 ·
Wheel Bearings

For all of you changing wheel bearings. CLOSELY inspect the Hubs (part with lug studs in them) for wear. If your wheel bearings are making noise, its probably gotten to your hubs too. I would not even do another wheel bearing job without getting new hubs for my car after doing my MR2 wheel bearings 2 times in 3 months. DO NOT PRESS BAD HUBS INTO NEW BEARINGS it won't last at all.

And yes, it sounds like brakes grinding.

Patrick

#13 ·
When my drivers side wheel bearing went bad, it made almost no noise on the highway. The only symptom it had at early stages was a clicking noise with each revolution of the wheel at very low speeds. I couldn't even hear it until I was next to a building or something. I jacked the car up and found a tiny bit of paly on the rear wheel. Despite catching the problem this early, the hub was still unusable. I wouldn't even take a chance replacing the bearing without replacing the hub. Make sure you order all new dust and grease seals as well. I think the total in parts was around $180 or somethiing like that from Jay Marks. Toyota will charge $500 for this job MINIMUM. It's not too bad to do, the ball joints are kind of a pain to pop off the spindle, and you need a press to press out the old bearing and hub. Other than that, it's straight forward.

#14 ·
Aw geez, guess who needs to do this! :eek: Driver's side rear hub has been making a little noise, thought it was a brake dragging. Checked it out, found nothing, and then when putting the wheel back on I saw it shift. Uh oh! Nut on the hub was finger tight, I'm quite sure it was due to the bearing being TOAST.

I'm not sure I've got time to do this. I have a lift and a press but this is my daily driver! :( I'll be calling the local stealer tomorrow to see what they have to say for an estimate. Fun fun. If I had the parts on hand I might consider doing it but....

Anyone got part numbers for the hub and bearings?

#15 ·
i noticed bad brakes dont change noises on hard turns. A bad bearing will really act up if you turn hard.

#17 ·
It could possibly be your rotor(s) dragging, especially if they are warped. Could be the brake piston not being flushed back in properly as well. Your issue doesn't sound like a wheel bearing problem. Most likely a brake issue of some sort.

#20 ·
99YellowStang said:
yeah thats what i get for going to "just brakes"
OK, let me educate ya...

about pistons not being pushed back far enough.....
rotors arnt cut flat. they have what is called lateral runnout. in effect it is kinda wavy (not some thing that you can see) this is done to effectivly push the pad away from the surface of the rotor, when your not braking, so the pads dont drag. when your stering wheel wobbles when you brake, that is because you have excessive lateral runnout, meaning your rotors are wavier then they should be. or "warped"

I bet its just the sound of your pads dragging a little. ask if they resurfaced the rotors. also, wheel bearing noise is more promenent when your turning, or putting load on the wheel on the freeway. i.e. changing lanes. it will make a very distinct wirring noise. sounds nothing like brakes. the bad wheel is the ouside one. (you turn left, the right wheel bearing is fucked)

now next time, do the brakes yourself! ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.