How much HP will a single 3 inch exhaust support?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How much HP will a single 3 inch exhaust support?

Turbo351

How big of exhaust are you 800+ hp guys running?

My target is to make 800 engine HP.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

The bigger the better. I think if you have the cash to get up to 800hp you can afford a bigger exhaust. Having a smaller exhaust just makes it harder to make the power, but you can still make it. Try searching around a bit i'm sure its been covered many times before.

1997 RSP TT BPU+ *Supra rebuild*
    1985 P-Type Supra *under construction*

Son made 817hp with 3" exhaust . Correct me if I am wrong.

I think alot of the high horsepwer guys use around 4inch exhaust, I know Ryan Woon uses a 5inch exhaust though.
    Carbon Fiber Part Development PM ME!!!
    2005 SRT-10 Viper undergoing coupe conversion and soon after HP time!
    SC300 daily and future project
    Follow My Build Here!

I made 623RWHP with a T78, Greddy DP, Blitz mid, HKS Carbon/Ti on pump w/meth injection - 1.7BAR. This was a 3inch setup although the Carbon/Ti has a spot where it necks down some. Race gas I'd have hit 700RWHP easily IMO but I've NOT ever done it. If you're going for 800HP (why that number exactly?) you will likely need cams or alot of boost. Around 750RWHP I'm told the stock cams begin to become a bottleneck.

I am now running a 4inch exhaust ALL the way back - WOTMs 4inch cat back, BLs DP/Mid. Ever been in a Mustang with 2chamber Flowmasters? I can't say it's quite that loud but I'd expect I'll get some unwanted attention from the local police if I'm not careful. Unfortunatly I couldn't put this DP on my T78 to check power increase - bummer! 4inch exhaust does allow the turbo to spool more easily but without back to back testing it's impossible to say how much easier. I can hear that sucker spooling EASILY and on light shifts I can hear it slowing down - it's wild! A silencer WILL slow spool, I found that out on my T78 setup - the effect was noticable for sure.
    10.8@129mph ET Streets race gas
    11.02@129mph Nitto DRs pump gas
    71GTQ (was T-78 when times run), AEM, 4ROW, 4inch exhaust, my tuning :) 623RWHP on pump with T78 1.7BAR, 719RWHP on the 71GTQ - 2.3BAR, mine and JS's tuning. Sadly the car may be totalled - stay tuned.
    E-mailing me is almost always better than PMs :(

SupraForums Member
    From what ive heard the WOTM doesnt fit all that well and needs some work to make it line up perfect. And dont you need some back preasure to help spool the turbo?
    -Dan

The 4inch system from WOTM fit pretty well. It would've helped if there had been something in the box to tell us where the hangers were supposed to go but we got it. It's poretty rigid and I wish it weren't but it did fit without us beating on it or making mods.

Backpressure to spool a turbo? You're kidding right? Hell NO you don't want ANY backpressure in the exhaust if you can help it!

Originally posted by BLKMGK

Backpressure to spool a turbo? You're kidding right? Hell NO you don't want ANY backpressure in the exhaust if you can help it!
    But you do want to maintain exhaust gas velocity...which requires some pressure differential.

Sorry, Off topic. With the WOTM 4in cat back do you have to welf up new hangers or dose it slide into the existing?

+ Reply to Thread