Do aftermarket pulleys add any power?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Do aftermarket pulleys add any power?

Do aftermarket pulleys add any power?

Do they? Does anybody have a dyno sheet to prove it? I have read not to use the crank pulley, so does that affect power gains in any way? Any insight will be appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Jason
    1994 Red/Black TT Auto
    86K miles
    Roller...

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

I guess if it doesn't there's no point of "upgrading" them.

you replace the OEM crank pulley with the Boostlogic one because the OEM is weak and prone to cracking with the higher torque motors.

no aftermarket pulley will ever ADD horsepower, it will just take less power to run.

Correction,

Aftermarket "LIGHTENED" pulleys will recover lost horsepower due less rotational mass. Basically every pound of rotation mass is equvilent to 10 pounds dry mass. This will require less output being taken from the crank to run these accessories. Underdrive pulleys are usually made of aluminum versus the default steel type of pulleys. Unless the O.E. pulley weighs less, you will make more HP. Also, a simple example of this has to do with why people are generally worried about how much their wheels weigh in regards to racing / dynoing. Lighter wheels will make your car faster for sure.

Also, never install an underdrive crank pulley on a 2JZ-GTE engine. You will no longer have a harmonic balancer unless you go with the Boostlogic or Titan dampener. However, both of these units are not underdrive.
    Last edited by Suprafied; 11-07-2004 at 06:25 PM.

-Do more with less......

'95 Toyota Supra TT 6-spd Targa MoTeC, AP 3.4L, SP F1, Tilton, Precision, Recaro, Bilstein, ID, Boostlogic, PHR, ETS....
    '14 Lexus IS250 AWD F-Sport
    '09 Dodge Ram 3500 QCLB Dually 6.7 CTD
    '05 Toyota Camry XLE

Most of the power recovery is from the lightweight and underdriven crank pulley though. With just accessories done I wouldn't expect much.

For the power I wouldn't risk an undampened crank pulley like most aftermarket units are.

So, pretty much pulley's on a Supra are a useless waste of money? I think I will just take the money and put it toward a stall/built tranny.

Off topic, but if I have a set of Bogarts that weigh 8lbs against the stock polished that weigh ~24lbs, I will save 16lbs which equals 160lbs dry mass? So, that would be roughly .16 in thoery off of my ET right? Since for every 100lbs you remove, you gain 1/10th in ET.

Thanks,
    Jason

That's an awful lot of bench racing. :P

The Unorthodox is NOT an under drive crank pulley like most other aftermarket cranks are. It is also lighter than the stock pulley.

Most people go for the Boostlogic or Titan crank because they are SFI approved and fully dampened, yet keeping the stock size. This is the best route to go.

To get more HP from replacing pulleys, weight is key. Less weight = more HP.

Simple as that really.

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I was just wondering if anyone has ever documented (dynoed) gains with these lightened and/or overdrive accessory pulleys (power steering, alternator, waterpump). I know the N/A Supra guys claim gains of 5-8rwhp, so logic would conclude that the pulleys should gain slightly more on TT models. Does anyone have any hard evidence?

I did a little bit of research and it seems that most of the aftermarket pulley sets are of the same diameter as the OEM ones so the only difference is that they are made of 6061-T6 aluminum as opposed to steel. Aluminum is approximately 1/3 as dense as steel, so assuming a similar mass and the fact that the aftermarket pulleys weigh about 1 lb, that would mean that the stock pulleys weigh about 3 lbs.

The weights listed here are in line with my estimates:
    http://www.moreboost.org/weights.htm

0.50 pulley - alternator
    1.34 pulley - power steering
    1.00 pulley - waterpump

0.20 pulley - Unorthodox alternator
    0.80 pulley - Unorthodox power steering
    0.50 pulley - Unorthodox waterpump

So in other words we have about 2 lbs savings in rotational weight.
    I believe rotational weight is worth about 2x-3x static weight, so let's be generous and say 3x, netting a 3x 2 lbs = 6lbs advantage or about a 0.5 hp gain.

I think I'll pass.

Also, I found this quite amusing:
    http://www.unorthodoxracing.com/inst.../04060120_.pdf
    "The maximum HP gains will occur in 5-7 days of installation, once the computer recalibrates to take advantage of the engines lighter rotational weight."

SupraForums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteBlazze
    The Unorthodox is NOT an under drive crank pulley like most other aftermarket cranks are. It is also lighter than the stock pulley.

Most people go for the Boostlogic or Titan crank because they are SFI approved and fully dampened, yet keeping the stock size. This is the best route to go.

To get more HP from replacing pulleys, weight is key. Less weight = more HP.

Simple as that really.
    The boostlogic is stock size, but I believe the Titan is actually larger, overdriving the accessories. I'm really surprised no one makes underdrive accessory pulleys for these cars, I know with every car I've ever put pulleys on it's made a difference.

you should expect bout 1 rwhp gain from a set of lightweight pullies... plus they look trick!

I bought pullies that are the same size as stock but lighter and they are polished. I bought them because my stock pullies look terrible, the paint is flaking on them and i wanted to avoid a crack in the future. I also figured if it made any performance gain, then thats only a bonus. By the way, they were $59 shipped and nice quality. I was referred to them by another member here. Use stock size belt as well.

i always like to read some good and informative
    blogs and this blog is also so good and helpful.
    thanks for taking time to discus this topic..
    Sticker Printing

Banned
    Wtf!!!!!!!!!!!! Bot alert

Hadji's are taking over SupraForums.....I heard Bin Laden's hideout is somewhere in OT
    1995 Supra TT

HKS T51R SPL DBB-PRO-EFI-Induction Performance High Comp 3.0L-CP-Manley-ARP-ACL-Flex Fuel-Titan Auto-Veilside Andrew F-HKS Kansai Tokyo Service Strut bar-HKS Hipermax Pro Coils-JDM Sideskirts-G-Brand Lip-Greddy FMIC-Greddy Ti-Recaro SR2-TRD Wheel-ARC Cooling Plate-HKS SSQV-Yanak Control Arms-ARC Sway Bars-TRD LSD Diff-JDM Gated Auto Shifter Conversion-TRD Auto Shift Knob-HKS 60MM Wastegate, HKS T51R Manifold-IP Downpipe-HKS Cams-Precision 1200cc-Dual Walbro 460-HKS 272-PHR Oil Pump-PHR Built Valvetrain-SuperTech-Do Luck RXB-Pioneer-Boston Acoustic-Matsura Horns

UR pulleys are lightened pulleys. Don't really do thaaaaat much. More for bling really. Thats why i like them LOLZ

Soon to be Single (^_^)
    Quote Originally Posted by kingston123 View Post
    i always like to read some good and informative
    blogs and this blog is also so good and helpful.
    thanks for taking time to discus this topic..
    Sticker Printing
    I agree. I speak bad english too, so I can relate. Sticker Printing? Are you an authrozied vendor?! Heh.

Anyway, I just picked up a set of UR Pulleys not too long ago from MVP. Hopefully, I'll have them installed soon. It's minus the crank pulley, though.

94' Toyota Supra TT / 6SPD "Lord Vader"
    07' Suzuki SX4 / Auto

I recently upgraded my all pulleys, except the crank, for a better look under the hood. I didn't feel a difference in the car's drivability, but I was also not expecting a power gain. Pulleys won't add a substantial amount of power to the point where the driver will feel the difference. You MAY see a difference on the dyno..... but that's still a maybe.
    1994 Supra T88H, 719rwhp SOLD
    2011 BMW 335i X-drive w/ sport package
    2003 Cadillac Escalade

FORMER RIDES:
    1995 Supra NA-T, 428rwhp
    1994 Supra T66, 618rwhp
    1994 R32 Skyline, 390awhp
    1995 300ZX TT, 509rwhp

Busy Breeding Balls... J. Cooper's Avatar
    I have the unorthodox lightweight pullies. They are much lighter than stock, and are the same size as stock. There are dynos out there that prove small power gains. Ill look around for them.
    - Jeremy
    On the hunt...

The Caravan Aficionado GodeepGTS11's Avatar
    just won a set of the driftmotion pullies, and i had my car on the dyno before , so hopefully we can get some performance numbers, if any lol

North East Supraforums Facebook Group

Quote Originally Posted by nissangtr10 View Post
    Who got fuckin time to go google to spell words.
    Quote Originally Posted by QWIKSTRIKE View Post
    Spiderman gets off the ropes and snips Doc Otcopussy's tentacles. Douche bags are so used to the smell of pussy that theiir ego's fail to recognize that they are just an ass hole douche bag smelling themselves!

I had UR pullies for years on my APU car,when my stock crank pulley cracked,I swapped it out with UR crank pulley ,I immediately felt the throttle being more responsive,so I'd imagine there were some power gains,BTW it's been about 2 years,still running fine,drive it everyday
    Last edited by exvelocity; 01-24-2011 at 08:29 PM.
    _Stefan B
    elite custom body + paint

do what's right,not what's easy
    Need professional advice or opinion on body/paint/assembly or cosmetic related issues?Just ask.

http://www.facebook.com/ELITECUSTOMBODY

This is one of the best platform that provides us an opportunity to discuss valuable topics. thanks for this service. I want to discuss about auto industry. Because it very important to know about it. It is our requirement. I hope other people will also take part in it.
    software download

SupraForums Member
    Ahaha, those replies make reading random threads worthwhile.

I got a driftmotion set and am in the process of installing them, once I get this stupid powersteering pump rebuilt, which would go a lot easier if the oil seal would co-operate and come out.
    Weighed a couple while I was at it so might as well post kg weights since I couldn't be bothered converting the lb weights.

Stock PS pulley 6.08kg
    Alloy 3.4kg

Stock water pump 4.57kg
    Alloy 2.23kg

Alternator ??
    Alloy 0.99kg

I had another reason for buying the driftmotion ones. Suspected a bent PS pulley, OEM is around $200NZD, $58 for a 3 piece alloy set, works well for me.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast