Smells like battery acid?!

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Smells like battery acid?!

StoplightWarrior

Smells like battery acid?!

I have never noticed this smell before, but today I had to swing by my gf's house to pick something up. I parked in her driveway and left the car running...came back about a minute later and when I hopped in the car I noticed a fairly strong scent like battery acid. I put the windows down and drove on to the next destination, about a mile away. When I got there I popped the hood and checked the battery and it looked fine, and I couldnt smell anything either. Was/is this anything to worry about?? What could have caused that smell beside the battery??

Is there anything moist or dripping anywhere? If there was a leak fo some sort you probably would be able to detect if visually.

StoplightWarrior
    No, no leaks...the car has no detectable problems at all (besides the damn hatch rattle...grrrr)...this battery acid smell was the first thing I've noticed in the time I've had the car. Like I said though, you cant smell it while the car is in motion.

What octane fuel do you run? Im just throwing out ideas, but maybe if your running a low octane fuel your just noticing the smell as you walk in/out of your car.

correct me if im wrong but battery acid is sulfuric acid which is odorless?

SupraForums Member
    I don't think there is any smell to battery acid. There definitely is a taste though. YUCK!

StoplightWarrior
    Originally posted by b18lsvtec
    What octane fuel do you run? Im just throwing out ideas, but maybe if your running a low octane fuel your just noticing the smell as you walk in/out of your car.
    could be....I run 91octane w/stock boost cause it's hard to find 93 anywhere in CA

BlueMako
    From what I've smelled(recently blown up batteries, leaking batteries, long destroyed batteries, car batteries in general), battery acid smells nothing like any fuel I've ever smelled, it smells like sulfur

StoplightWarrior
    ok, well this didnt smell like sulfer...it smelled like, hmm...how can I describe it...metallic...kinda like a sharp metallic smell, maybe...

fvck, anyone have any clue? I'll go run my car later in my garage and I'll sniff the turbos, the battery, and the exhaust...

lol

I'd say run the car for a good hour in the garage. Keep the garage windows and door shut so you can really concentrate the smell.

Make sure you stay with the car so you can see any leaks....

Maybe my smeller doesn't work too good, but burned radiator fluid can have a metalic smell to me.

Brad

Originally posted by 98mkiv
    I'd say run the car for a good hour in the garage. Keep the garage windows and door shut so you can really concentrate the smell.

Make sure you stay with the car so you can see any leaks....

+ Reply to Thread