Rock chip resistant paint????

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Rock chip resistant paint????

Rock chip resistant paint????

Is there such thing as rock resistant paint. I bought my bomex lip a year ago and it is just riddled with rock chips. stock bumper is perfect though. im going to re-paint it soon along with my stillen side skirts. is there anything out there that will protect the paint from rock chips such as a special kind of clear coat?? i know there is clear tape you can put on. anything else??
    Chris

SOLD 95 Supra na-t

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

Since it's just a lip piece, you could have them prep it for a repaint except with a more coarse grit paper (just something more coarse than 400 for example - but not like 180)...then instead of just shooting the paint over it, they could shoot a "rock gaurd" spray onto it just before painting the color and clear.
    There's light, medium and heavy grades of rock gaurd in terms of it's peelyness/thick viscosity look once dry. Several different types to choose from, but they all add some degree of protection against chipping.
    Take a look at the side of your car, under the doors....that peely looking section is where Toyota sprayed rock gaurd so that the tires dont throw shit there and chip the paint. It'll look pretty much like that if they do that to your lip. Just dont know if you want your lip to be perfectly smooth like the rest of the car/ texture.

SupraForums Member
    Went I repsrayed my front bumper a few months, I sprayed on about 6-7 coats. It looks fine, and I dont have a SINGLE rock chip after about 6 months, so you might ask them to spray more coats then usual

More coats wont protect anything....excessive coats just means thicker paint with a little more tendancy to want to crack or chip when tagged with a rock. Clear doesn't get stronger with more coats/thickness.
    Maybe you drive on the highway a fraction of what this other guy does.....hwy is where you get majority of chips....and tailgating on hwy adds to that.

you can add flex agent in base and clear ,it will stay very flexible and chip resistant ,just make sure to follow the directions on the can or get tech sheet

i there any kind of special clear coat i can use. i read somewhere its possible to use a polyurathene (or something like that) based clear vs. a enamal based clear...

HKS T04Z & Vpro Equipped
    You can go get that new 3M tape they have. I think it costs a good penny but it has been doing a great job in the fenders. It just like a clear bra... you can barely see it. Try that if you can't do the paint idea.

^ he still has to repaint it,since the lip has chips in the paint

Originally posted by Jr24dawg
    i there any kind of special clear coat i can use. i read somewhere its possible to use a polyurathene (or something like that) based clear vs. a enamal based clear...
    it's called acrilyc polyurethane,it is flexible,but not "that" chip resistant,

PPG came out with new nano clear ,don't know how well it will work in your aplication,but it's some good shit :

http://www.collision-insight.com/news/20030307-ppg.htm
    _Stefan B
    elite custom body + paint

do what's right,not what's easy
    Need professional advice or opinion on body/paint/assembly or cosmetic related issues?Just ask.

http://www.facebook.com/ELITECUSTOMBODY

HKS T04Z & Vpro Equipped
    I know he has to paint it... When he gets it painted then he puts the strip on the lip. I meant if he can't find a good clear coat you can put the tape on instead.

i am definatly repainting the lip, theres no question about that. i just wanted to know what kind of products have you guys heard of that prevent rock chips. thanks for all the info.. im gonna go to my local car paint shop and ask them what they recommend along with ask them if they have any of the products listed above. then i will buy the paint. first i have to install the side skirts to get a proper fit before i paint.

Administrator
    Auto Admin
    3.4 cars in front of your 6 speed (So Cal)
    www.starshieldarmor.com MVP carries their products.

SupraForums Member
    I think I read somewhere that Mercedes was starting to use a "nano" paint that was more resistant to chips.

Wonder if the paint is generally available...

http://www.mercedes-benz.ca/index.cfm?NewsID=141&id=611

m/b been using it for about 4 years already

+ Reply to Thread