Upgraded CT26s

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Upgraded CT26s

SupraForums Member

Upgraded CT26s

hey...i am looking at possibly getting a 62-1 CT26 and i heard recently that problems arise wit an upgraded CT26...is it a good turbo to buy or no?...its an everyday driver but i dont drive long distances...ive driven 30,000kms in 3 years (aprox. 20,000miles) and im only going to run the turbo around 10psi

what are your suggestions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

if youre only gonna run it at 10psi, i dont think you need an upgrade that big

SupraForums Member
    boost rocks....get it upgraded then just keep your boost controller set to 10 psi, but when u want to run something thats worth ur gas just turn the dialup, but if u dont want to run any more boost the 10psi..just stay stock the ct26 can do that easily. put the 500-600+ some place else

SupraForums Member
    well i know im gonna run it higher...a lot higher...im only gonna run it at 10psi until i put other certain bolt ons that can handle the higher boost then its goin to boost up high

SupraForums Member
    BOOST IT UP!!!! haha..good luck
    i plan on doing the same thing.

mine didnt seem to like 20psi daily dont get a 62-1 that's a pointless upgrade. get a 60trim t04e wheel instead surge isnt that big of a problem, and they seem to last longer. and the flow characteristics are much more street friendly. also, its just not as big and heavy and doesnt strain the ct internals as much. imo a 60-1 or 62-1 is just a bling upgrade and is less functional than a good 60trim.

Sisu Research & Development, Specializing in Expandable Fuel Injector Sales/Production.
    I'm currently not taking any new orders. I do plan to still build injectors in the future.
    Feel free to pm me if you have any questions.
    stable:
    90 supra, bw s366, 272 cams, srd 1400cc, e85, front/rear bbk, 2jz, megasquirt diypnp
    91 eagle talon tsi, bw s258, forged 6 bolt, built close ratio trans, PTT twin disc, evo brakes

SupraForums Member
    I'd save up some more money and get the SP61GT rather than upgrade a CT-26... the peace of mind makes it worth it. Heard too many stories about CT shafts snapping. Besides, the CT-26 is an ancient turbo design. I'd go with something newer.

BUT
    that's just me.

SupraForums Member
    also...remember i dont have time to save money for a certain upgrade...and i dont wanna spend money on another stock turbo and have to spend even more later for the next upgrade...i figure while im already there, do the upgrade

Savage Member
    Originally posted by Thermactor
    I'd save up some more money and get the SP61GT rather than upgrade a CT-26... the peace of mind makes it worth it. Heard too many stories about CT shafts snapping. Besides, the CT-26 is an ancient turbo design. I'd go with something newer.

BUT
    that's just me.
    You may have heard a lot of stories of them snapping, but in the FAQ there is a ct-26 upgrade thread which goes into detail about every upgrade... I would say almost everyone who went to PT hasn't had any complaints with their upgrade, even years down the road. The ones that did was because their accordian hose cracked and scarred the bearrings...

But I know, some people don't have the time to read through like 12 pages or something...

I like to do my research before I spend 450 + shipping on an upgrade...

FWIW... Good Luck

SupraForums Member
    Originally posted by Disced
    You may have heard a lot of stories of them snapping, but in the FAQ there is a ct-26 upgrade thread which goes into detail about every upgrade... I would say almost everyone who went to PT hasn't had any complaints with their upgrade, even years down the road. The ones that did was because their accordian hose cracked and scarred the bearrings...

But I know, some people don't have the time to read through like 12 pages or something...

I like to do my research before I spend 450 + shipping on an upgrade...

FWIW... Good Luck
    k...good...this is what i wanna hear ...thx

A friend of mine runs a 62-1. Hes had it for more than 2 years, boosts 17-21 psi all the time. Maybe his is a freak or something, I dunno.

I went with a 60-1. For the money, you cant go wrong, its a good upgrade. You said you will run 10 psi until you can get othermods to turn up the boost, so then you prolly dont want some big badass (although better) turbo if you have to jus sit there on 10 psi. Plus, if you save up for the badass turbo, you'll then have to wait even longer to save up for the rest of the mods. Thats wha I did. I wanted a TO4 60-trim, but didnt wanna wait till I could afford all the stuff (mani, wastegate, etc, etc), so I jus went with the 60-1. Eventually I will go with a real turbo, but for now, Im good. Good luck.
    LTD Performance Engineering - Corpus Christi, TX

89 Supra Turbo - 3-Time TX2K Modified Class Champion
    11.77 @ 114 - CT and some spray!!!

LAG?? Learn to drive... supraracer01's Avatar
    I was told that the 57 trim upgrade was the safest and most reliable upgrade, perfect for lower boost 18-20psi, and it still has some meat left on the shaft. thats what im doing as my turbo just went the way of the Do-do. eventually the Sp61gt is the way to go if you want 60+trim, but for under 20psi and on the stock retorqued HG honestly i wouldnt go above a 57 trim.

what is the stock trim btw, like 45 or 47 isnt it??
    --Ryan
    90 White pkg Turbo Targa 5spd 1jz GT4088

Swapped grey leather int

Turbo Cars are like hot women.
    A little edgy, every guy wants one, some guys can't handle them
    and if you throw a little alcohol in the mix they'll rock your world!!

SupraForums Member
    k...this is the mods that i have on the car to get a better picture of that is goin on:
    custom 3" cat back
    HKS Super Intake
    Nology Hot Wires
    shimmed wastegate
    HKS 1.2mm MHG
    ARP Head Studs(going to be put in this week)
    Ported head(going to be done this week)
    Ported turbo elbow (goin in this week)
    lower IC hardpipes (goin in this week if my friend's dad finishes them)
    and if my stock turbo turns out to be blown, then im going for an upgrade

the reason y im saying 62-1 is because i know someone who is selling theirs for cheap and it is almost new...barely used...the reason y im not uping the boost to much higher right now is b/c i have the stock BOV and i know that cannot hold a lot of boost, and stock downpipe...once those r gone and upgraded, and i have a fuel cut defensor and electric boost controller, then the boost is surely going up...then when the IC comes in, i will be running even higher

Tired of being sexy MixMasterP2k3's Avatar
    I highly suggest you read a good chunk of that ct26 post in the faq section. I did before getting my 60-1 upgrade. I knew exactly what I was getting myself into. I boost around 14 psi when I drive. However this car isn't my daily driver, I have a bus pass that works fine for getting around during the week. So if you want to play a little harder, you have to pay a little more. You have to think about the long run too, because upgrading/buying turbos isn't exactly cheap, and will be the back bone to all of your power. Good luck.

hit up the faq section! 62-1 is to big for the housing anyways! stay with a 57trim or a 60trim! nuff said!

SupraForums Member
    does anyone have a pic of the different trims in a CT26 so i can compare?

hit up ma70.com i think Bishop has a pic of his 57trim!

60trim ct... (what i'm running now)

60-1 ct... i ran this awhile ago

+ Reply to Thread