Registering car with lien release?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Registering car with lien release?

Supra TT Senior

Registering car with lien release?

Guys, I'm looking to buy a car in which the seller had a lien on the car. However, he has recently paid it off and will be selling the car to me. My question is he lives in a state where he has the title even though the bank technically owns the car and he's stating that the bank will be sending him a lien release document. Once I have the title (with the lien on it) and the release document, will I be able to register the car/title it in my name without any hassle? It seems like it's no problem but I've never dealt with a title that had a lien on it.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

If the bank has released the lien than they should send you the title....stamped released.

Or to him, whatever the case may be. They no longer own it if it's legit.
    Last edited by gdiman; 05-13-2005 at 06:38 PM.

Supra TT Senior
    He lives in a state where he can hold onto the title. It just says there's a lien on it. I'm just trying to see if the car is paid off like he said and the bank mailed him a document saying the lien has been removed, would I be able to register the car with no problems. Basically will I run into problems with a title that says there's a lien but I'll have the bank document saying the lien has been removed.

Quote Originally Posted by s14roller
    He lives in a state where he can hold onto the title. It just says there's a lien on it. I'm just trying to see if the car is paid off like he said and the bank mailed him a document saying the lien has been removed, would I be able to register the car with no problems. Basically will I run into problems with a title that says there's a lien but I'll have the bank document saying the lien has been removed.
    well, that's not how it works around here, but if he can hold onto the title I'd say wait to pay him until he hands it to you. You might want to check with your local BMV on the particulars of getting a car registered with that document. Sounds strange to me though. Also, if it's an out of state car especially, make sure you get a state approved bill of sale along with it. Signed by both of you. You can get them online for most states.

Gah I'm an expert on this not by reading or taking classes, but by personal experience.

In some states you can hold onto the title even though there is a lien on it. Whenever you pay the lien off 99% of the time you get the lien release RIGHT THERE.

If he sends you the title with the lien release, the car will be fine to register in your state.

If you have anymore questions let me know.

Regards,
    Kevin
    Kevin Calvert

Director of Operations

MVP Motorsports Inc.

Kevin@MVPMotorsports.com

940-683-8282

'10 Pearl White GTR
    Cobb 3" SF Intake, Cobb AP w/TCM custom tune by Ben Linney, MVP 4" Exhaust/Y-Pipe & Downpipes, TiAL QR , DBA Rotors, Brembo RT Pads, ID1000, AEM 320lp/h E85 Pumps

Supra TT Senior
    Quote Originally Posted by RossoCorsaItaly
    Gah I'm an expert on this not by reading or taking classes, but by personal experience.

In some states you can hold onto the title even though there is a lien on it. Whenever you pay the lien off 99% of the time you get the lien release RIGHT THERE.

If he sends you the title with the lien release, the car will be fine to register in your state.

If you have anymore questions let me know.

Regards,
    Kevin
    Thanks for the reply everyone.

I figured you probably know about this pretty well Kevin

I also assumed it would probably be fine when I bring the car to my state and get it registered as long as the title with the lien came with another document saying the lien was released. I've never done it before so I figured I'd ask you guys.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text