scan tool for obd1 toyota

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: scan tool for obd1 toyota

SupraForums Member

scan tool for obd1 toyota

hi all
    do you have some scan tool program for laptop or palmtop for obd1 toyota?
    or there is only techtom for $400?
    thanks
    Jerry

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

connect the wires on the diagnostic port....

I searched and search for something to check my codes.. and finally gave up and just grabbed some speaker wire... It takes two seconds and it works great.

http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/eng...bd1_codes.html

SupraForums Member
    thanks but thet is only code reading...

Snap on makes them.

The snapon one sucks. The one used by Toyota/Lexus techs is the one made by Vetronics and is called the Mastertech. It requires special adapters and CAN modules to communicate between the car's various computers and the Mastertech. This scan tool can communicate to other computers in the car as well. We use it to perform the C-BEST ( Customized Body Electrical SysTems) function on all our cars as well. The unit can also flash program ECUs that are flash ready (sorry not for the Dawg).

It does more thru the OBD-II port as well. The OBD-II port has two pins for communications as set thru EPA. The communications protocal thru this wire channel has more than one language. I know it has the Generic OEM and the Toyota manufacturer propeitary protocal and perhaps even more. This scan tool communicates via both languages to enhance diagnosing abilities.

This puppy is NOT cheap. Figure spending around $3K for one of these new.

Joe.

MyCarIsSlow
    Quote Originally Posted by carchitect
    The snapon one sucks. The one used by Toyota/Lexus techs is the one made by Vetronics and is called the Mastertech. It requires special adapters and CAN modules to communicate between the car's various computers and the Mastertech. This scan tool can communicate to other computers in the car as well. We use it to perform the C-BEST ( Customized Body Electrical SysTems) function on all our cars as well. The unit can also flash program ECUs that are flash ready (sorry not for the Dawg).

It does more thru the OBD-II port as well. The OBD-II port has two pins for communications as set thru EPA. The communications protocal thru this wire channel has more than one language. I know it has the Generic OEM and the Toyota manufacturer propeitary protocal and perhaps even more. This scan tool communicates via both languages to enhance diagnosing abilities.

This puppy is NOT cheap. Figure spending around $3K for one of these new.

Joe.
    Why would you suggest a $3k device when he just said $400 was too rich??!!

formerly Vicksupra Silver Supra's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jtjerry
    thanks but thet is only code reading...
    what do you want it to do?

Maybe try this link.

KCMO, Tennessee, Persian Gulf, and other places
    Quote Originally Posted by VickSupra
    what do you want it to do?

Maybe try this link.
    Great idea, but I only found software for GM products. Anyone found or used software for Toyota ODB 1?

I used an Actron OBDII scanner on my 97. I remember when I bought mine, I came across one that is for the OBDI. I think they also make one that is OBDI/OBDII compatible, but you have to pay a little more.

MyCarIsSlow
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelvanle
    I used an Actron OBDII scanner on my 97. I remember when I bought mine, I came across one that is for the OBDI. I think they also make one that is OBDI/OBDII compatible, but you have to pay a little more.
    Well, OK, this suggestion would work but there doesn't seem to be support for imports and, at a cost of $350 for the OBD I-compat. unit, why not just go with the Techtom (used @ approx. $300) and get that "looks like it belongs there" look to-boot!

+ Reply to Thread