Can a bad thermostat cause stalling/failure to restart?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Can a bad thermostat cause stalling/failure to restart?

Can a bad thermostat cause stalling/failure to restart?

I am stalling when my car sits still after it is fully warmed up. I got pulled over by a cop for not having my inspection sticker (I've only had the car 8 days!) and it stalled while he was running my license. It started after it sat for 10 minutes, but ran like shit and I stalled again a half mile down the road, where I pulled into an empty lot and let the car sit with the hood open for a half an hour. It fired back up and I got back on the road, keeping the RPMs around 2,000 until I could get back home.

On the way back, I turned the heater on full blast, but I didn't get any heat. I confirmed that the upper radiator hose has no coolant in it once I got home by squeezing it and getting no resistance. Could this be causing my stalling problems? Is there a sensor that is getting pissy because the thermostat isn't opening? The car fires but will die almost immediately once it is hot. I was able to get it running (albeit very poorly) when I disconnected the AFM, but of course you can't drive the car with it unplugged. Help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

7m power
    no,a bad theremostat wont cause that
    did you check to see if you had any codes?

The CEL has not come on unless the car is stalling. I don't think I have any stored codes, but I didn't get a chance to check. It's been raining non-stop for the past day, with no sign of letting up *sigh*.

SupraForums Member LexusTech117's Avatar
    Take the thermostat out, get a thermometer that goes up to 220 (Water boils at 100C which is 212F) heat the water up to 195F, stick your thermostat in the water, and if it doesn't open (spring gets compressed) within a couple minutes of its submersion go buy a new one for $12.00

When you're done figuring out the thermostat, fill up your overflow tank, top off the radiator, and run the car for a couple minutes. Look for coolant leaks while it's running, and just after you stop the car. If the engine is running smoothly let it warm up a little and turn the heater on to see if it works now.

Also, take the belt off your water pump and see if it turns smoothly and with little effort.

-Dave

Quote Originally Posted by LexusTech117
    Take the thermostat out, get a thermometer that goes up to 220 (Water boils at 100C which is 212F) heat the water up to 195F, stick your thermostat in the water, and if it doesn't open (spring gets compressed) within a couple minutes of its submersion go buy a new one for $12.00

When you're done figuring out the thermostat, fill up your overflow tank, top off the radiator, and run the car for a couple minutes. Look for coolant leaks while it's running, and just after you stop the car. If the engine is running smoothly let it warm up a little and turn the heater on to see if it works now.

Also, take the belt off your water pump and see if it turns smoothly and with little effort.

-Dave
    Thanks! I've already bought the thermostat, it's so cheap I might as well replace it. If it stops raining this afternoon, I'll see what I can do.

DDDDUUUUUBBBBBZZZZZZZZ suprafly1986's Avatar
    um, the ecu doesn't know what the thermo is doing. If your temp gauge doesn't show overheating, it's not going to make the car shut off regardless of the thermostat.

Well, I was a bit low on coolant, maybe a pint or so, was kind of hard to tell. I have heat again and the car seems to be running alright. I think I got rid of an air bubble in the coolant system as well. Thanks!

+ Reply to Thread