What does the ECT (Engine Coolant Temperature) sensor do exactly?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What does the ECT (Engine Coolant Temperature) sensor do exactly?

SupraForums Member

What does the ECT (Engine Coolant Temperature) sensor do exactly?

I'm just curious on what exactly does the ECT sensor do? I believe it stands for Engine Coolant Temperature. It plugs into the lower portion of the radiator next to the drain plug.

Does this operate the temperature gauge on the dash? There are 2 other sensors in the upper water neck as well, just wonder what each of these sensors do.

TIA

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

SupraForums Member
    it makes your ass open when you take a dump on hot summer days.

SupraForums Member
    this chart is generally useful for determining what certain sensors do
    http://www.mkiv.com/specifications/ncf/ncf93/ncf103.jpg

as you can see, it plays a role in many functions & systems...

Blog Entries
    Turns on the secondary fan, the electric fan to the right of the main mechanical fan.

Steve K.

Real Girl Thread FTW! Speedmaster747's Avatar
    Three sensors, three different tasks.
    One, sends signal to the computer for fuel mangement
    Two, sends signal to the computer for the electric fan
    Three, sends signal to the gauge in the dash.
    later
    Quote Originally Posted by Keros
    Your generousity and vigilance is unsurpassed. You are both a gentleman and a scholar!

Bless your soul.

MarksSupra33
    Quote Originally Posted by PsyKotiC RydeR
    it makes your ass open when you take a dump on hot summer days.

Great post. Actually no, not at all.

Evill Supra got it right, it tells the Electrical Fan when to come on. My sensor's back side where the harness is actually BROKE and I just never replaced it. It still plugs the hole fine but it can't plug in. Apparantly, if you separate the harness there, the electrical fan will stay on constantly.

SupraForums Member
    thanks for the help guys....+1 to everyone who helped

I can tell you exactly how it works. Its actually a thermistor, the pcm/ecu sends voltage to it and depending on the temp it reads what voltage comes back. Then it calculates the temp. It uses that input to actually richen up the mixture on startup to heat things up faster. It also depends if you have OBDII or OBDI. Im pretty sure thats a continuous monitor in the comprehensive components so its always looking at the input when the car is in closed loop.
    Last edited by Jarrett H; 06-09-2005 at 04:58 PM.

does anyone know at what temp it comes on...sometimes i think my fan doesnt work or something becasue honestly i have never seen it go on....i mean is it pretty rare for it to turn on since you have the big fan in the front constantly turning or is mine just broken??

SOmetimes on hot days i will have the hood up and the car idling for a few minutes after a drive just to see if the fan turns on and it never does..idk maybe i didnt wait long enough or can it be because i have water wetter mixed with my coolant and its actually doing its job and the tmep never really gets that high

any thoughts..

anthony

i guess i can try and test it by pulling the plug or something

MarksSupra33
    ^^^^ Exactly, just pull the plug and see if it stays on. If not, you need to test your fan to a 12V source and see if it spins.

SupraForums Member
    You're right. Actually, no.

Mind your own business. I know turboexpress in person and my post was made like that on purpose.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarksSupra33
    Great post. Actually no, not at all.

Evill Supra got it right, it tells the Electrical Fan when to come on. My sensor's back side where the harness is actually BROKE and I just never replaced it. It still plugs the hole fine but it can't plug in. Apparantly, if you separate the harness there, the electrical fan will stay on constantly.

MarksSupra33
    ^^^^Then do ME a favor and when you wanna talk shit on me in other threads, mind your OWN fuckin business. Case easily closed. Don't say anything else, your response is well deserved.

SupraForums Member
    When did I start shit with you Mark? Huh? When? It's funny that you're telling me to mind my own business when it was Y O U who started to yap about my comments on the headlight thread. Just there you go.

Oh wait, I'm talking to a guy who talks about fucking people up online and sends PM's about such things right? OK, I'm scared. Bye now...

SupraForums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PsyKotiC RydeR
    When did I start shit with you Mark? Huh? When? It's funny that you're telling me to mind my own business when it was Y O U who started to yap about my comments on the headlight thread. Just there you go.

Oh wait, I'm talking to a guy who talks about fucking people up online and sends PM's about such things right? OK, I'm scared. Bye now...
    I'm a E-GANSTA and will do a 187 on both yoe asses. Online gangtas foe lyfe!!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text