7MGTE stock block power

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 7MGTE stock block power

Mongoose

7MGTE stock block power

Hey guys, new to the site.

Im looking for a new car and I am curious about the mkIII's.

What is the relative max power the 7mgte block can handle safely, with the appropriate mods? Is it a stout block or are there problems with things past a certain whp.

Thanks, and sorry for the dumb question, Ive searched but couldnt come up with anything

well its pretty damn stout and can hand upwards to 500hp with good tuning but with the right tuning it can definatly go higher. one mkiii was putting down around 800rwhp with stock motor just damn good tuning.

the only thing that you really would have to do to the 7M is pretty much the head gasket which likes to blow.

1992 Teal Targa 7mgte //| JE Pistons | Driftmotion T67 ex AR.70 Turbo kit - 15psi | FFIM | 90mm Throttle | 3" Piping | K&N | 24x12x3 FMIC | ACT Xtreme 6 puck Clutch | NRG BOV | 1.3mm Cometic | ARP Head Studs | ARP Rod Bolts | Shimmed Oil Pump| 550/Lex | Walbro 255 | Aeromotive AFPR | AEM wideband | SAFC2 | 3" DP back exhaust | Ronal R9 Rims

Stock Turbo/fuel 15psi
    13.7@102.44mph with 2.0 60ft @ 3600ft
    61mm @ 17psi - street tires
    13.0@111mph with 2.0 60ft.

SupraForums Member Allan"Defiant7M"Sterling's Avatar
    I dare to say some have become complacent in that area. The are say almost mapped out mods to get you to any power range. 550 seems to be were most stop, the 7s have more in them than that. A car in Texas just ran 10.2 in the quarter, I think he is a little over 800 hp. http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=289816
    A few years back Will N. set everyone on fire when he made 700 rwhp.
    Allan

101MM stroke of INSANITY!! With Stratospheric a 15:3 CR!!

Mongoose
    wow, thast pretty cool then.

I was worried because of the weight of the mkIII, and that it would take alot of power to make it fast.

do they have an LSD stock?

slower than a turtle
    the turbo mk3s and some sport package NAs came with them. the gears are different between the two. with turbos at 3.73 and NAs at 4.13 i think

No One Ever Listens To Me IdealSupra's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by supraguru05
    the turbo mk3s and some sport package NAs came with them. the gears are different between the two. with turbos at 3.73 and NAs at 4.13 i think
    theres actually 4 different ratios...

TURBO:
    87-88: 3.91
    89+: 3.73

NA:
    86.5-88: 4.30
    89+: 4.10

1JZ BLING!
    ~400 at the wheels

anything higher will eventually die

a local guy has had 400 for about 2 years now on the same engine, so I am speaking from example, not from my ass.

I haven't found many people running 500 at the wheels for over a year in a daily driver on stock block.

Always work in progress.. animantoric's Avatar
    What about maseo and his 1000+, he's stock block right?

stout

89+ NA's were still the G28x 4.30:1 diff ratio, all turbos had LSD, only the NA sport pkg cars had an LSD. The JZA70s (1JZ-GTE 2.5L twin turbo, never delieved to US shores) had the 4.10:1 diffs, with the Twin Turbo R models having a Torsen 4.10

The block itself hasn't ever failed purely because of power output to my knowlege, they don't seem to have a power level limit like the Ford 5.0L blocks or anything, at least not yet. 800,900rwhp have been achieved on stock blocks and cranks, with just rods+pistons. Stock pistons and rods tend to last to 450-500rwhp easily enough with good tuning, pushing it past that requires a very fresh motor and excellent tuning, best to just get forged pistons and not mess around if you're already at that power level.

The 10.2@136 7M-GTE 5-spd car is in las vegas, spraying a 75 shot and has substantial rear suspension mods. made 808rwhp on the stock head and cams though. There's a big thread about it in the drag racing forum.

Quote Originally Posted by IdealSupra

TURBO:

NA:
    Only JZA70 Limited and R editions with a manual got the Torsen 4.10 gears, the year range for those was 90-92. No model or trim package in North America got 4.10.

The 1992 NA LSD gears I swapped into my car are most assuredly 4.30.

SupraForums Member supra2wntrbo's Avatar
    I know this is probably wrong to do in this post but since everyone is saying what the stock block can handle I wanted to know what the auto tranny can handle safely and what after market mods can I do to ensure that that tranny will hold? Oh by the way the tranny has 109,000 miles on it

l337 M0d3r4t0r
    auto trannys aint so stout... they start to slip at around 300 hp and 350 tq... they last about a few months at that point. Get a new converter beef up the shifting pattern(valve body) and you should be good to go for a bit more hp (400ish)whp

7m block is very strong. Only problme is at around 20 PSI on a larger turbo you are making about 400-500 hp depending on tuning and mods. When you reach that point most people tend to blow up their engine by adding 1 psi more boost or something like that during a race they know they shouldn't touch. When you get that close and start to detonate you break the engine.

The block is very strong.
    The stock internals are good to 450rwhp easy. (Daily driver, no problem, but you must run good gas, and you must control the boost levels very well.)

With good tune, as noted, some stock internals have made amazing levels of power.

With the right internals, a 7M block and good tuning can make over 700rwhp and be reliable.

There is no need for "4 bolt" mains, or many of the V8 or V6 mods generally done. (Like reinforcing the block, or special machine work to remove stress risers etc.) The block is very strong, and the overall design is excellent for holding power. (7 main bearings, and only one rod per journal.)

If you find more oil volume, it's a good thing IMHO. (stock pump is fine, but reducing, or removing souces of restriction or pressure loss helps out here.)

Good luck, and hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by IdealSupra

TURBO:

NA:
    NO! all NAs have a 4.30, regardless of yr.

stock internals have reached over 500+ hp

Mongoose
    if the 7mgte is strong, why do people swap to 1jz motors? Is it just preference?

Im coming from a swapped and turbo'd Honda hatch, so I want something with alot of potential.

I just cant get over how much these mkIII's weigh

SupraForums Member
    They do it because the 1jz is a much newer engine design, makes more hp stock, and is prettymuch bulletproof. They are a stronger all around engine. They are a revving engine, but still make plenty of torque. If you wanna ask about 1jz, you might want to go to that section, you may get crucified here jz series=newer/better, m series older, but still pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose
    if the 7mgte is strong, why do people swap to 1jz motors? Is it just preference?

Im coming from a swapped and turbo'd Honda hatch, so I want something with alot of potential.

I just cant get over how much these mkIII's weigh
    if your so worried about the weight why not try getting a mk2 instead and swap that 7MGTE into it

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose
    if the 7mgte is strong, why do people swap to 1jz motors? Is it just preference?...
    mostly due to lack of proper maintenance on the 7M, then it fails. people seem to think that the mad-tiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiite-JDMness of the 1J will fix all their problems.....when in reality they're swapping in an engine that has an unknown history that they can't get parts for....

Quote Originally Posted by zank
    if your so worried about the weight why not try getting a mk2 instead and swap that 7MGTE into it
    Or first gen Celica or 240Z. A 2600 lbs car with a/c and 500 rwhp is fun .

Detonation is the limiting factor not hp. People break pistons at 300 rwhp where others have no problems making double that. I had no problems making over 500 rwhp on a block with about 190,000 miles on it. Never let it detonate and it won't break.

well said!

i've been knocking around 500rwhp or so for 3+ yrs.....STOCK bottom end.
    MKIII Technical Information Depot: www.mkiiitech.com

Blog Entries
    and since we're adding our knowledge of diffs

the jza70R actually came with two diffs 3.9 & 4.1
    we've got a 3.9 torsen in our jza70r

Quote Originally Posted by suprra_girl
    and since we're adding our knowledge of diffs

the jza70R actually came with two diffs 3.9 & 4.1
    we've got a 3.9 torsen in our jza70r
    we know that- manual came w/the 4.10, auto got the 3.91.

http://www.mkiiitech.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=40

I've been doing 435ish to the wheels for about 3 years now. 2 dyno runs of 500+, and even more streets runs of 470hp.

I do however have 2 cracked pistons that I've been running on for about 5 years now. Detonation is a pain. Oh.. all the dyno stuff, and big runs came after the cracked pistons.

This motor has a bit ov er 60k on it now.
    Alan Jordan
    89 Supra
    510 rwhp & 494 rwtrq @ 2 bar
    vuewithin.blogspot.com

For all intensive purposes...
    you're/your...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast