Supra Forums banner

My temporary ghetto brake light ...fix

18K views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  MK3Brent 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey guys my brake lights have been out (all other lights work fine) for the past 3 weeks since i got my car, and ive been doing small checks to find problem. Since they werent working I would drive carefully and brake slowly and early (i watch car behind me to make sure theyre stopping and notice my lights are out) Anyway im on the highway (I-95) on my way to work, in rush hour traffic, doing 5-15 mph, STOP,GO,STOP, etc. When i brake slowly as usual, im watching rear view mirror while im slowing down, and see car getting closer ...errr starts skidding and i hit gas just a bit(since i had some cushion in front of me) and car missed me by no more a few inches, i though it was as close to an accident as you can get. Guy starts beeping and i ignored him, since it was mostly my fault for having broken brake lights(his for not watching road).

When i got home that day i was thinking of a way to ghetto rig/ or temp. fix the light when all of sudden i remember, my park lights work! So for the past few days every time i stop i turn park lights on, then turn them off when i let go of brake. I dont know why i didnt think of this before but its worked amazing besides the fact my hand is basically glued to the damn switch. Just wanted to share this temp. fix for those of you that are as slow, or slower than me with no brake lights but everything else working, and need more time to find the problem.

Today did my final check, getting voltage in g/w wire going in lamp failure sensor.... and none coming out blue/red so just bought a replacement lamp failure sensor. This should cure the proiblem based on all my test.

See less See more
#7 ·
87_7MGTE said:
so how does that work at night?
:freak:
flashers :dunno:

#8 ·
ok... good job dude

#11 ·
lmao thanks guys just had to kickstart the brain for college in a few weeks. At night.......i dont drive, as much ive ony driven like 3 times since i got the car. Jeff your post from another topic helped me diagnose it, thanks.

Ive been workin 40 hr weeks, and play halo 2/watch dvds all night when i get in so i never really thought about it except for when I was in the car.

#16 ·
Hey Justin like your supra (same color as mine but yours is perfect) looks clean, yea I just ordered a lamp failure sensor last night from someone here...dealership wants $150+, yea $150+ . It better come attached to a supra already for that price.

#17 ·
thanks bro. i breathed life back into this car. glad ur gonna get that fixed. for a 150!!! is it made of gold? Does it have diamonds on it? Does it give blow jobs? damned toyota :lol:

#20 ·
SMoLiK said:
Just came across this on e-bay... You might be interested...

Link

SMo'
(Squints eyes at other people that will bid) Good find SMo. I was looking on ebay for the past few days, and all i could find was this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyo...ryZ33569QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem and $40 was too much for me. I searched light failure, didnt think people would list it as "taillight"and in wrong department. I just bought one on thursday night, but might buy this as a backup if price stays low. Unless anyone here needs one, as a primary replacement I wont bid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.