car has been sitting for 3months, safe to start?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: car has been sitting for 3months, safe to start?

SupraForums Member

car has been sitting for 3months, safe to start?

well i'm heading back from germany here very soon and the supra has been sitting for about 3 months. is it ok to fire her right up or do i need to do anything special. i would hate to see my new 7m go to hell.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

SupraForums Member
    It should be ok, if your worried just unplug the ignitor or cps and crank it over a few times first.

Change the oil. Then unplug the ignitor crank it a few times then start her up and nothing will happen. Oil is probley broken down already usually happens at 3000 miles or 3 months which ever comes first and seeing its 3 months with no driving change that bad boy.

I<3 Dashboard Waterfall toyota88powered's Avatar
    yup, change the oil and crank it over until you see the oil pressure start to rise.

SupraForums Member
    Maybe some new gas wouldn't hurt.

Jeremy

pull the efi fuse.. its easier.. plus it wont spray fuel... (doesn't unplugging the igniter still spray fuel?)

I let my N/a sit all winter for like 6 months and she started up fine. Ran a little rought from older gas but went to gas station put some new gas in and she ran fine. 3 months is nothing i wouldn't even worry.

put some gas stabilizer in the tank before trying to start. if you didnt change the oil before you left, you may want to do it now. the problem is that the gasoline blowby can make oil acidic and corrode bearings if its dirty and sits for a long time. gasoline molecular chains break down over time too. gasoline has a shelf life of about 16 weeks, from cracking/blending to end usage, not 16 weeks from purchase.

you CAN run it on old gas, but it may gum up injectors and leave alot of residue and varnishes behind, and dirty up the plugs.

welcome back you jerk! you said you were gonna take me to europe with you, thanks for letting me know! i hope you had a good time w/ the ladies and such...

I'd drop a few mL's of oil into each cylinder to establish a cushion between metal to chromolly (whatever rings are made out of) surfaces.

But I'm weird like that, and think my bone dry block would get scratched all to hell and I'd lose all my pretty cross hatches I paid hundreds of dollars to have honed into.

SupraForums Member
    will it be ok for me to drive it like 10 miles then change the oil. i can't believe how parnoid i'm getting over this..

damn 7m

lol Brent...

oil stays trapped between the rings, just like its trapped between the bearings. if anything, there may be a lack of oil on the top cylinder. you could put some MMO in the fuel tank since it contains a top cylinder lube.

+ Reply to Thread