Supra Forums banner

Upgraded Audio system using stock components

119K views 186 replies 74 participants last post by  freshdip 
#1 · (Edited)
(re-edited May, 2007)

Finally have finished my stereo conversion on a relatively low budget. I want to thank Steve T for the ideas and his freind Wes who has designed a fantastic speaker upgrade for the MKiV. I mostly appreciate Steve Ishii for helping hammer out the stock wiring plug-n-play system.

The Idea here is using all of the OEM wiring. Purchasing 3 sets of Toyota Harness adapters for about $50. 1) Integration Harness 2) 10-Pin Speaker harness 3) 6-Pin Speaker harness . I can show you what they look like and you can probably get them on Ebay. Or direcltly from Scosche (more expensive) http://www.scosche.com/what_fits.aspx ..Or...METRA

The difference between a stock OEM system w/o Amp, and the system w/Amp is the actual speaker harnesses that are behind the dash. These "ARE NOT" in any EWD from Toyota. Thanks to Steve Ishii for pointing this out. They do this so it is more plug and play at the factory when installing a system with an Amp. So they put these speaker connectors behind the front panel, just behind the Trac buttons. They just plug in the speakers (wires) into this junction harness that feeds directly to the Amp under the seat. These are called IH1, IH2 and IH3. We are not messing with the IH3 because that is the SubWoofer, and we are keeping that in tact, and using the OEM Amp under the seat to run the SubWoofer ONLY.

Here is the EWD showing the harnesses:

Here is an actual picture, with the completed harness. See the IH1, IH2, IH3 in the center right of the picture:

These Harness carry all of the speakers, front and rear. So all you have to do is buy the matchng harnesses, and then you can *snap* these together.

Here is the complete list of items needed, basic color codes, Pin #'s Note that you will need all harnesses in order to have automatic antenna functions.

Here is the picture of the completed wiring harness, including the Integration 15 Pin, the 10 Pin and the 6 Pin (IH1, IH2) Speaker Harnesses

Here is the actual wiring diagrams for the "do-it-yourself" Basically for any other type of head unit: This one is compliments of Steve Ishii. Note here that I have revised this wiring diagram to now show a installation of an Antenna switch. I was unhappy that the antenna would go up and stay up, even when playing the CD. This is NOT how the OEM radio works. If your playing a CD on the OEM radio, the antenna stays down. With this diagram, you can control the antenna whenever you want with the switch. You can see the switch on the last picture of the actual radio installed in the dash.

So this is the whole systems wiring. Total cost, $50 and some time.

Now for the actual Speaker upgrades. First is the speakers that Wes has built for me and for Steve Theodore. These speakers can handle full 100% volume with 0 distortion. Wes has retrofitted the OEM front door speaker boxes with these 4" Peerless 830516 CD Woofer W/ 20MM tm02j6 Audax tweeters W/ crossover.

The new rear speakers are rated as high. They are Audax VP160OGO. FYI, when I took out the rear OEM speakers, they were stamped "15W" which tells you the overall rating of the OEM system.

Front Speakers:

http://www.97supraturbo.com/Radio Conversion/New Door Speaker 3 (Large).jpg

REAR SPEAKER:

Now for the Head Unit that I just got.
I was lucky to get the brand new Nakamichi CD 500 HU. These are rated at 47W per channel into 4 ohms. Including a SW Out, which we are not using because we are using the OEM Amp to pump out all its got just for the SW. This new unit is MP3 compatible, and I have already made 1 CD with 150 songs on it. The Nakamichi also has 10 different color display settings to match any OEM car display colors. I am using Grn/Grn, and Amber/Grn for now.

Here are a couple of pics of the finished install:

Green Green:

Green Red:

So, that is my install. This system pumps plenty enough bass for me. Enough so the rear view mirror shakes, and I can feel it in my chest. I can crank it full up without any distorion.

Total cost depends on the Head Unit of course, and I cannot recommend what you would decide on. I picked this Unit because it was a single DIN, so I could install new guages, its MP3 capabilities, and its Illumination schemes.

But I paid around $275 for about everything except the head unit.
Also forgot to mention that you will want a single DIN Box to cover the lower section if you switch to a single DIN radio. I bought one at CarToys for $30 to find later they are $10 on Ebay:

Or call Elmhurst (Curt) He has them as well.
Part# 55521-16030 pocket 1 din plastic list $5.33

I glued a flat peice of plastic over the box opening so I could have a flat area to velcro on new guages

Hope this is of some use for for anyone thinking of a *mid* use style of upgrade.

See less See more
#52 ·
If you dont care if the antenna stays up all the time, then you just install as shown W/O that relay. The brown wire was there for connecting the "grounds" together. But you can eliminate that if you want.

You will need to explain a little more on the 6pin-10pin question. Did you finally go out an get these 2 pairs? ALl of these connect back into the car harness recepticals. They actaully act as a "coupler" between the stock 6 and 10 pin connectors so you dont have to cut the wires. Maybe you need to understand this a little more to visualize.

#53 · (Edited)
I have all the pieces.

the headunit wires are now colormatch nicely to the 15 pin harness and the 6 and 10 pin female pieces.

OEM 15 pin Harness - pwr to the HU
I understand that the factory 15 pin harness connects in the female 15 pin harness now connected to the head unit.

There is stray black wire which i believe needs to be grounded.

SPEAKER WIRES
The female harnesses have are now also connected to the head unit. [the 6 pin harness has four wires and the 10 pin harness has 10.] Since im not use to dealing with separate speaker harnesses for stereos, im at a loss for what connects where. Right now, the two male wires are not connected to anything.

I plan to connect the 10 pin male to portions of the 10 pin female without the relay. I suppose the 10 pin male eventually goes where the oem 10 pin male went and the oem 10 pin connects to the new 10 pin female.

Im at a loss for where the new 6 pin male goes. I would suspect where the old oem male went, but i dont know where the 4 pin male wires are suppose to connect to. I will guess the oem 4 pin male will go into the new 4 pin female.

EDIT: Could the fatal error be that the 6 pin harness is suppose to have 5 wires coming out of it like the picture shows. I only have 4 - those related to the speakers?

The follow is picture of the connection to the 15 pin harness. Notice the to connection to the subwoofer, and unconnected ground (black) wires from the HU and harness. Is that right? Should the black wires be connected?

The following is the connection from the new female to new male 10 pin. notice that the female has one less blue wire; it loops. your diagram indicates these should be connected if not going to relay. What am i to do about the missing line. Cut the loop and connect?

The last two show the connection between the new 6 pin male and the 6 pin female. Notice there are only 4 wires. Leave this alone?

Thanks in advance.

#55 · (Edited)
do the ground (black) wires from the HU and the 15 pin harness connect as well?

since the 5th wire is not necessary, does the new 6 pin male connector not wire into anything; it just plugs into the oem 6 pin female? That doesn't seem right.

#56 ·
help?

#57 ·
sks said:

I don't think I can make a diagram more simple than this.

I have circled the connectors that are part of the car in Green.

Just wire it up like in the diagram. It should be easy.
Imagine that you are looking at the face of the connectors and the wires are coming from the rear.

These are the only connections you will need to make.

Aparently, if I under stand what Stu is saying, you will not need to use the 6pin male connector.

Ishii

#58 ·
sks said:
do the ground (black) wires from the HU and the 15 pin harness connect as well?
Just use a ground ring and ground the radio ground to the chasis. As pictured in the diagram.

sks said:
since the 5th wire is not necessary, does the new 6 pin male connector not wire into anything; it just plugs into the oem 6 pin female? That doesn't seem right.
Don't even bother pluging it in, if what Stu is saying is correct, you will not need to make that connection (IH2 pin 5) So don't bother putting the 6pin male harness in the car. just leave the other side unplugged.

Ishii

#60 ·
My QUESTION is where are the female RCA's behind the dash?
I've got everything ordered correctly now but did not see any female RCA's back there to plug into the new male harness' RCA's.

#61 ·
Mr.Fairlady said:
My QUESTION is where are the female RCA's behind the dash?
I've got everything ordered correctly now but did not see any female RCA's back there to plug into the new male harness' RCA's.

There arnt any thats why. Your new HU has the RCA's, female, I think. The Integration harness that you see here, and what you purchase, has the "mating" RCA's. Basically, the integration harness you buy plugs into the OEM radio plug as if your plugging it into the radio. The new intergration unit comes with the RCA's as part of it. SO the new HU RCA's plug into the new intergration harness, which inturn feeds the speakers. Look a little closer at the pictures and I am sure you will see.

#65 ·
I'm getting ready to take on this chore as well. I went and bought a new HU and a harness from Bedt Buy thinking it should be a simple plug n play application. Boy was I wrong. I removed the stock stereo and who ever owned the car before me really hacked it up back there. Dont know what the hell the guy was doing back there cause I was still running the stock stereo.

Anywho, I got the intergration harness wired into the car and turned the stereo on and got a loud whining sound. Doing a quick search here on SF I then realized that my new stereo would have to utilize a few more hanresses. Thanks to Mr. Fairlady I was able to order the female harness last night and now all I have to do is wait for them to arrive.

The diagram looks somewhat understandable, but Im sure Ill be able to figure it out with some help once all the parts are in hand. I could not believe all tat needed to be purchased and wired, just to simply adda HU.

#66 ·
Firestorm91tt said:
I'm getting ready to take on this chore as well. I went and bought a new HU and a harness from Bedt Buy thinking it should be a simple plug n play application. Boy was I wrong. I removed the stock stereo and who ever owned the car before me really hacked it up back there. Dont know what the hell the guy was doing back there cause I was still running the stock stereo.

Anywho, I got the intergration harness wired into the car and turned the stereo on and got a loud whining sound. Doing a quick search here on SF I then realized that my new stereo would have to utilize a few more hanresses. Thanks to Mr. Fairlady I was able to order the female harness last night and now all I have to do is wait for them to arrive.

The diagram looks somewhat understandable, but Im sure Ill be able to figure it out with some help once all the parts are in hand. I could not believe all tat needed to be purchased and wired, just to simply adda HU.

*NOW* you can appreciate how the correct method of installing a new HU can be. People who go back there and cut shit away, like CarToys and such, make it impossible to upgrade or go back to stock in the future. Once you get this done correctly, then it is a matter of unplugging 3 plugs, and plugging back 3 plugs, and your back to stock in a snap.

I wish I had links for getting all 3 harnesses at one place. I know there is one guy on the "EbayStore" that carries all 3, but they don't advertise all. You hace to call them to get all 3.

Stu

#68 ·
Well heres a quick update.
I installed the new head unit w/ harnesses and the car has a loud whine when you turn it on. I can drown the whine out if I turn the stereo up a tad, but was curious on where I should look first into maybe solving the issue. Is there a simple way to diagnos or should I just bite the bullet and redo all the connections again. Im sure I did a good job on it, but as I posted earlier the previous owner did some mechanicin' back there with the wiring :(

#70 ·
great write up. I did a systems upgrade about a year ago... I was not happy with the way the radio sounded at all so made some changes. I added a radio and an amplifier, the radio tech guy told me he needed to change the amp because the power to the radio ran through it (the amp) and he could not put the new radio with this set up. He probably was thinking about the safest way to make a buck for himself... since I did not know better about any of this stuff I proceeded. Now am having second thoughts...
I will try to use this info and look into my current set to see what I can use. I am currently using the stock speakers and SW with an Alpine CDA-9847 and an aftermarket amp (don't recall the brand). Thanks for the write up, it does inspire me to go and try something new and more around stock components.

#76 ·
I was just about to start a new thread & then I saw this one, good thing I read this one or else….I need to install a direct switch to bring my antenna up. What wires do I need to tap into too bring the antenna up & down? Where are they located? I did not have access to a harness at the time so I hard wired my HU to the speakers & new amp. I did this about a year ago & I still don’t have radio. If you guys could help that would be great… thanks

#89 · (Edited)
Just a quick edit to the site, Audiooutfitter.com
Those harnesses should be correct according to scosche.com (what fits) and the past reference to the metra harness.
All 3 on the same site come out to ~$20!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.