Supra Forums banner

Car wont start after 1 month sitting

36K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  HmoobSUPRA 
#1 ·
Does anyone know a solution to getting my car to start after its been sitting in the garage for almost a month? the radio, antenna, power turns on but car wont start over :scratch: I reset the fuses and still no luck! any suggestions??? i want to drive my Supra :sad:

#2 ·
try charging or jumping your battery. Just because the accesories turn on does not mean there is enough power to crank the starter over. Try turning on your head lights and see if they dim when you try and turn it over. Do you have an alarm? Try unlocking the car with the key in the door to turn off the factory theft deterent.

#3 ·
yep, probably a battery. do you have a batt charger? if you are the kind of person that makes a habit of letting the car sit while the weather is nasty, i would get one. any ways, if it still doesnt start with a jump, you may want to get a battery charger and let it sit on a low setting over night, mine has three settings: 2 amp slow, 12 amp fast, and 75 amp jump start. and sometime you have to leave it on the 12 amp setting before you can do the 75 amp start, or at least i do. oh, and the charger was only about $30

#4 ·
kevganzon said:
Does anyone know a solution to getting my car to start after its been sitting in the garage for almost a month? the radio, antenna, power turns on but car wont start over :scratch: I reset the fuses and still no luck! any suggestions??? i want to drive my Supra :sad:
Best bet - charge the battery. You may want to take it out and to AutoZone or somewhere to get it checked.
2nd option - jump start it and drive to Autozone or somewhere....

no, I don't work for them!!

#5 ·
Im going to have to agree with these guys .. due to the fact that my car has been sitting for about 3 months now and I have the same exact problem and when spring comes around I will be buying a New Battery .. And not sure if its going to be from AUTOZONE lol .. but thats what my car does sometimes .. and im lucky if any lights come on .. AT ALL !!

#8 ·
yup it's definitely the battery! My car is 98% of the time garaged, rarely driven and after 3 die hard batteries, and jump startin it time and time again, I finally decided to just get a trickle charger and leave it hooked up to the car all the time. The one I got tells me if my battery is fully charged and then when it starts to reach that point where it's losin it's juice, it starts to charge it on its own! Awesome! Now I have no worries of it ever dying, though I ofcourse start it up every other 3 days to get the engine goin even if it just sits there.
Hope this helps.
Btw, trickle chargers run from $30 to $200. Good investment.
This is the one I got: http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/prod...00&subcat=Battery+Chargers,+Boosters+&+Cables

and here's a listing of the other ones:
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/sear...d=Trickle+charger&displayTarget=searchresults

#9 ·
This being my first winter with my Supra, and actually having a car hibernate for the season, I've come to have the same problem. I bought this sucker just a few days ago after my Optima was dead for the second time in the last couple of months. Schumacher makes it, 1.5 amp, it's fully automatic and cost about $35. It came with mounting brackets and loop terminals for permanant mounting in the engine compartment. I cut them off and installed a couple of alligator clips. Run the extension cord up though the left side duct.. no more worries I hope :)

Mark

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.