Supra Forums banner

OBX LSD for the ma70

25K views 186 replies 59 participants last post by  sixpack 
#1 · (Edited)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-...043776433QQcategoryZ33731QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I haven't seen anything regarding it yet.

Can't say I'd trust one, but our market continues to expand. Someone have at it and let us know how long till it breaks or not.

Wonder what the gear ratio is....

READ!!!!!!!!!!!

We are going to all donate $10 via paypal to Adam H. (drjones) for a OBX LSD. I'll keep updating this list and as long as we have enough people to make it worth-while, we'll all forward the $$$$. Adam's job will then be to beat the shit out of it and try to break it which we all know he is capable of. (along with a write-up regarding qualitt/fit/finish/etc)

OBX claims a lifetime warrenty against manuf defects, I'm not sure if that covers high hp mk3's but I guess we'll try to find out.

1) NJsupraA70
2) KevinM
3) Krister
4) spinningheadboy
5) ckanderson
6) tekdeus
7) ???

See less See more
#103 · (Edited)
drjonez said:
that's honduh speak- 1000hp @ 14000 rpm = 370 ft lbs....
What he's trying to say is that HP is an imaginary number and doesn't matter. (I hate imaginary numbers. They are why I have a B in algebra instead of an A :() The number that really matters is torque. Because HP doesn't break shit, TQ does. :)

#104 ·
jawsgear said:
Thanks Adam, vendor called and confimed unit is shipping on Friday. We should have it on Monday. Keep you posted.
So my post was in reference to this post...

I did read the entire thread; otherwise how would I have known you were supposed to get the unit on Monday?

I was just showing my eagerness to learn the results of your testing; however, I wasn't looking for some sort of snide remark about my lack of following up before I post. I'm probably one of the FEW who read the entire thread before I post anything at all.

Thanks,
Kyle

#105 ·
got_boosted said:
What he's trying to say is that HP is an imaginary number and doesn't matter. (I hate imaginary numbers. They are why I have a B in algebra instead of an A :() The number that really matters is torque. Because HP doesn't break shit, TQ does. :)
:lol: eh, get used to it.....just don't go into EE, that's ALL imaginary stuff (and not just simple x=y stuff!).

but yeah, you got my point perfectly.....HP is a meaningless thing to rate stuff by....

#107 ·
Unit being installed today and weather permitting will hit the track tommorow. Will get the results as soon as possible. No need to send any money, I appreciate the offer though. Jawsgear will foot the bill on this one with the exception of Dr Jones and a few other contributing parties. Thanks.

#108 ·
jawsgear said:
Unit being installed today and weather permitting will hit the track tommorow. Will get the results as soon as possible. No need to send any money, I appreciate the offer though. Jawsgear will foot the bill on this one with the exception of Dr Jones and a few other contributing parties. Thanks.
gads. you ARE the man.

any comments on perceived build quality, etc. from inspection?

#110 · (Edited)
supra87t3/t4 said:
I'll be impressed if it even fits :)
I was thinking the same thing. :) However, I have heard better things about OBX recently, so I'm eager to know if they actually built something worth having.

drjonez said:
:lol: eh, get used to it.....just don't go into EE, that's ALL imaginary stuff (and not just simple x=y stuff!).

but yeah, you got my point perfectly.....HP is a meaningless thing to rate stuff by....
Haha. It wasn't necessarily the imaginary numbers that brought down my grade, but they did bug me. Math has always been to me an expression of truth, because numbers don't lie, and you don't have to make anything up. Then one day my instructor introduced "i" which is equal to the square root of -1. There is no square root of -1. :( That's just bullshit! lol

#111 ·
jawsgear said:
Any first impressions of the LSD? Remember to take lots of pics! :)

#114 ·
Hey guys..

I'm down here in Sacramento at Jaws. I just got my car all ripped down and the diff will be going in tomorrow. The unit actually looks pretty decent, but you never know! I'll have Jeff chime in with comments about setting it up and what not since he is the expert. If the weather will cooperate we will be hitting the track on Saturday to test it out..

Dont worry, we have lots of pics and video coming. :)

Matt

#124 ·
Okay, the results are not good from my standards. We never even got to test the unit at the track here in Sacramento due to rain and multiple OBX dimensional problems.

1. The thickness of the ring gear flange is approximately .250" thicker than the stock flange. This is an issue due to the fact you have less thread engagement for the ring gear bolts.

2. The carrier shim combination is WAYYYYYY off. It does not even come close to setting up with stock shims. We ended up using about .275" on the right side and .060" on the left side. Would work but is really hoaky.

3. The major problem is the fact that the stub axles bottom out on the splines before the snap ring engages into the side gear, thus the axle slides in and out by hand. I believe they did not machine the snap ring groove into the correct location.

I am going to make some calls next week to see if there are any options to correct some of these issues. Until then we will NOT be installing into any car for testing. As is, on a scale of 1 to 10 I would rate this about a 3.28654 as is. If the changes can be made we will make a 2nd attempt at an install and actual road test. Matt(guy with the 1J) was extremely disappointed as he made a trip down from Portland OR just to try and break it. Maybe next time Matt! HaHa!

Jeff

#125 ·
jawsgear said:
3. The major problem is the fact that the stub axles bottom out on the splines before the snap ring engages into the side gear, thus the axle slides in and out by hand. I believe they did not machine the snap ring groove into the correct location.
which stub axles did you use- MA70 or the JZA70 torsens? sounds like the diff unit is built for the JZA70 stub axles, they're longer:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.