Supra Forums banner

OBX LSD for the ma70

25K views 186 replies 59 participants last post by  sixpack 
#1 · (Edited)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/OBX-...043776433QQcategoryZ33731QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I haven't seen anything regarding it yet.

Can't say I'd trust one, but our market continues to expand. Someone have at it and let us know how long till it breaks or not.

Wonder what the gear ratio is....

READ!!!!!!!!!!!

We are going to all donate $10 via paypal to Adam H. (drjones) for a OBX LSD. I'll keep updating this list and as long as we have enough people to make it worth-while, we'll all forward the $$$$. Adam's job will then be to beat the shit out of it and try to break it which we all know he is capable of. (along with a write-up regarding qualitt/fit/finish/etc)

OBX claims a lifetime warrenty against manuf defects, I'm not sure if that covers high hp mk3's but I guess we'll try to find out.

1) NJsupraA70
2) KevinM
3) Krister
4) spinningheadboy
5) ckanderson
6) tekdeus
7) ???

See less See more
#155 ·
OBX has had this problem in the past, they have gone back and remade a few differentials that didnt fit correctly. I would imagine they will probably do the same with this one or they wont be selling any and if they do they will all be returned. from a business standpoint they cant afford not to correct the problem. They have been around a while and people like cheap parts for their cars so i dont see them going anywhere in the future. hopefully we see them make the appropriate changes to the lsd asap

#157 ·
That was funny, I was scrolling down and saw my name as the poster...thought to myself, when was the last time I started a thread...possibly in 06 I guess.

#159 ·
I really doubt it. They did several revision on Honda still did not get it right. Just stay away from their mechanical parts. Stock lsd is a lot better than obx lsd.

#160 ·
hey guys just to let you know i wrote a obx seller on ebay that had the ma70 lsd listed in his store. this is the message i wrote him and following is his response;
Dear q.sport,

hey there, i was reading on a supra forum online about the obx lsd for the 86-92 supra and i read about fitment issues and was wondering if you knew if obx released a new version that actually fit, I would hate to buy this lsd only to have to return it.

Hi

Obx has fixed the problem. thank you.

qsport

- q.sport

Maybe someone should give it another try... I know this happened with the celica lsd and they did actually change the design.

#162 · (Edited)
decided to write another seller on ebay since the response i got from the first guy was pretty vague.. here is what he had to say;

Our first version of this LSD would only fit the Japanese axles because they used a different axle stub. What you read on that forum probably referred to this issue.

We have since redeveloped this LSD to fit the USDM axle splines. As long as your car was made for the US market it will fit just fine. Sorry for any scary reading you may have come across.

- tuna-tom

#165 ·
Here is the response I received from OBX reguarding the problems found with the original lsd tested here:

>problem 1. The thickness of the ring gear flange is approximately .250" thicker than the stock flange. This is an issue due to the fact you have less thread engagement for the ring gear bolts.

>solution 1. i believe we machined out grooves for the crowngear bolts that resolve this issue. (fyi, regardless, the bolts should be reverse threaded i think so there is no way for it to back out if the car is moving forward...)

> problem 2. The carrier shim combination is WAYYYYYY off. It does not even come close to setting up with stock shims. We ended up using about .275" on the right side and .060" on the left side. Would work but is really hoaky.

> solution 2. if there was a shimming problem, he needed to contact OBX for resolution. OBX LSDs are measured out and should be fine to use with OEM replacement shims which can be ordered from Toyota. If it is out of spec of what Toyota offers for replacement shims, OBX would look into it. Sometimes when people open the differentials and start swapping out the washers, the housings are not straight / withing OBX / OEM specs anymore.

> problem 3. The major problem is the fact that the stub axles bottom out on the splines before the snap ring engages into the side gear, thus the axle slides in and out by hand.

> solution 3. again, if you mess around with the washers it will not lock into place for the snap ring, these have been assembled and tested by OBX. if there are issues, OBX will look into it.

> Problem noted with the Japanese axles not fitting original obx design:
JZA70 stub shafts which are longer.The stub axles do engage into the snap ring grooves but the seal surfaces stick out too far and do not allow the seal to ride on the stub shaft.

> New design OBX lsd, if used with OEM US spec stubs, fitment is fine.

I hope this information helps.

- tuna-tom

#169 ·
I've never had any problems with the stock differential. What problems are you experiencing?

The TSRM explains how to rebuild the diff - From what I've heard it is not overly difficult. I had mine rebuilt by a shop due to time constraints, but that was rather costly.

A dial indicator, vernier caliper, and torque wrench (as well as necessary replacement parts) is all you should need.

#171 ·
I've never had any problems with the stock differential. What problems are you experiencing?
I'm getting a clicking noise sometimes when I on/off gas or clutch-in.

You can rule the center bearing out because I just replaced my driveshaft with a 1 piece steel one.

I'm also getting vibrations at 70mph+ and it feels like it's coming from the rear-end.

#170 · (Edited)
It'd be great if this diff worked so we could have a cheapish helical diff for our cars.

The ones they made for the Honda seem to work fine for almost everyone who gets one. They just had to open the diff up and redo how the inside washers were oriented.

I've asked the seller if there was a fitment problem if we could return it and he said yes as long as it hadn't been damaged.

#177 · (Edited)
My rear end is making noise and has plenty of slop. It needs to be replaced asap. I will have to buy one tonight.

Edit. I bought a 88 low mileage differential to install for my daily driver. I will have to buy the obx after I pull my whining one out.

I have to get this drive train all sorted out before I turn up the boost. Tranny is also going to need to be rebuilt. Then I will buy injectors and the turbo upgrade

#180 ·
Probably going to bite the bullet and get one here soon for my mx83 cressida. I dont want to get a used ma70 clutch diff since I will have to probably rebuild it for it to be any good and maintenance on it will be more than the OBX helical lsd. only other option would be a welded diff but that would suck for daily driving, which is what my car will be for. and for $220 shipped I cant complain.

#182 ·
www.weirperformance.com

The cost of rebuilding a stock diff is around $130. That's for new seals, a pinion spacer (which would be a good idea with the OBX as well) and the maxgrip kit. Honestly, the only expense directly related to the diff itself is the maxgrip kit at $45. Personally, I trust the machining and materials more in a genuine Toyota diff, and I prefer a clutch type diff over a helical or gear type since I mainly do straight line hits.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.