120A alt fuse is blown

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 120A alt fuse is blown

SupraForums Member

120A alt fuse is blown

the 120A alt fuse went byebye during my battery upgrade. i keep telling myself i couldnt have switched the neg and pos but maybe they touched in the wrong way while i wasnt looking? shit. if the 120A alt fuse is blown, is it reasonably accurate to say my assumption is correct? thank you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

SupraForums Member supralover93's Avatar
    well replace it and see what happens. this time be more careful so you can't have an accident. if it blows again then look for a short.

you did something bad to make 120 amps go through that circuit lol

That fuse will usually blow if you hook the battery (or a jump box/charger) up backwards. Just replace it (if that is what you suspect you did) and don't do it again.

John

SupraForums Member
    I did the same thing once. The person that owned the car before me put some stupid unmarked fosgate terminals on my car. I hooked up the booster pack and blew that fuse. Got a new one and everything was fine. If you hooked a charger or anything up bakwards and that fuse blew....its a good thing. It'd probably be alot worse if it didnt blow

p.s. if your pinched for time to get the car back up and running you can bridge the fuse back together as long as you dont plan on blowing again, because if the fuse is manually bridged and something goes wrong you'll start damaging other components.

SupraForums Member
    well i will never know if it was disconnected wrong but i do admit anything is possible during the confusion....

i removed the stock batt, removed the stock batt tray to custom make a lil setup for a small odyssey battery. who knows oh well ordered that fuse, wonder if it will fix all problems.

SupraForums Member
    I hooked up the battery backwards once. Blew the 120A alt fuse also as well as many others. It also blew the igniter. I replaced the fuses and bought a new igniter and it fired right up.

SupraForums Member
    hmm maybe i need an igniter too....

well replace the fuse and see what happens. if it doesn't start then test the ignitor, don't just get a new one because someone else had the same problem.

SupraForums Member
    yeah i pray the igniter didnt blow..... just waiting for a fuse. just to clarify, this fuse WOULD prevent the car from starting, right?

SupraForums Member
    No, when that fuse blows... a couple others go along with it.. A couple green 30 amps i believe.
    If the 30 amps are blown, the car will not start.
    If every other fuse is good and just the 120 is blown, the car will run for a few minutes and then blow the two 30's again and the car will shut down.

Thats how it was in my experience anyways, because when iw as trying to fix the problem, i didnt even realize the 120 amp was blown. I kept replacing other fuses that kept repeatidly blowing, and while those fuses were replaced the car would run for a short period of time.

The second i put the new 120 amp in, the 30's stopped blowing and the car was fine.
    Replace the 120 and check all the other fuses in the box under the hood. You should be fine.

When i blew my 120 out, my two in line fuses for my head unit blew, and my horn also.
    I dont think any of your components got damaged though, but only time will tell.

If your anxious to test the car you can replace the other fuses that blew and rebridge the 120amp together. The only downside is...if you hookup the battery wrong again..the 120 cant blow and it will start damaging components.

Quote Originally Posted by John Reed
    That fuse will usually blow if you hook the battery (or a jump box/charger) up backwards. Just replace it (if that is what you suspect you did) and don't do it again.

John
    Exactly, body shop did this to my SC300. $15 fuse from Lexus, lol.

2000 Monaco Blue Pearl NSX-T
    1994 Twin Turbo 6 Speed Hardtop SOLD

well, while your waiting for the fues to come in just pull your other fuses out and visually check them. you guys probably didn't damage anything by blowing a fuse, remember what the fuse is there for, so IT blows instead of what it is sending the power to.

SupraForums Member
    well i was too lazy to check the fuse in the interior (i was tired from working on the car all day)...

but i did check the fuse in the engine bay. besides the 120A alt fuse, the "trac" fuse and "rad" fuse are blown.

i guess ill have to check the interior fuse box since i was alarmed one of the fuse is for the starter system. i just pray its just fuses, not the starter.

SupraForums Member
    today i did a complete test of the fuse in the engine bay box and dead-petal box. not only did i do a visual inspection, i also tested the plug end with a volt meter to test connection.

as mentioned the only fuse that were blown is the 120A alt, 7.5A trac, and 20A rad fuse. The two small ones i replaced and im waiting for the 120A from toyota. i found no blown fuse in the dead-petal fuse. what WAS curious is door 30a and defog 30a in the dead-petal box fuse thread looks alil dark. but my voltmeter confirms a good connection.

i dont get how the ignitor or the ecu coulda blown when so few fuses blew. im so frustrated.

SupraForums Member
    in addition, i didnt think it was the ignitor since i'd figure the car would crank but not catch spark if that went bad. when i turn the key, there is no cranking at all.

SupraForums Member
    i apologize w/ my questions but i have another... i read someone who reversed polarity the battery and blew the 120A alt fuse... and he said he got nothing when he tried to crank the car. is this true?

SupraForums Member
    UPDATE.... i replaced the 120A alt fuse and i get full power. unfortunately the car cranks but doesnt "catch"... so doesnt start. so i can safely assume my ignitor is shot?

SupraForums Member
    anyone?

SupraForums Member
    I would suspect the igniter. Take it to a dealer or a mechanic and have him test the igniter.

SupraForums Member
    just wanted some input to reassure wat i suspected..... i appreciate it kevin

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• Decrease Size
    Increase Size
  • Remove Text Formatting
  • Insert Link Insert Image Insert Video
  • Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text