Supra Forums banner

Smoking Engine, Temp Gauge Normal

11K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  1988SupraDreams 
#1 ·
My engine is smoking enough to seep through the hood when I stop at a stop light, and my temp gauge seems to work normally, the bottom of the temp gauge is a bit below the "C", and when the car is smoking it reads like it is when the car is fine. What could be causing this? Burning Oil? I'm stumped, and of course my stupid mechanic says "That's normal for old car!" Wish he could understand me when I say "I know, but I want you to FIX IT!" If any additional information is needed let me know, Thanks.

#2 ·
You are right, while old cars usually leak a bit of oil its not like it can't be fixed.
Have you looked for any oil leaks yourself? That much oil dripping onto something hot should be noticable and maybe someone here could help out more. You might just try to see which part of the engine bay the smoke is coming from. I just bought an MkIII recently myself and am also in Fremont! If you are looking for another mechanic I can give you the info of someone that just fixed the oil leak on my supra. It was a seal on the front of the engine. pm me if you like

#3 ·
Well, 1st off what color is the "smoke"? Is it white steam or actually blue smoke? You should get the car up to smoking temp and then pop the hood and find out where the leak (of whatever it is) is coming from. The temp guage will not always show if it is a coolant leak or not. I had a pretty bad one and the stocker didn't move at all (not suprising) but neither did my GReddy show any signs of something gone awry.

#4 · (Edited)
It's Pure white smoke and it doesnt dissapate like steam does. Its coming from the ENTIRE engine block, and out of my tailpipe. And it smells like a fire... :(

Add: the smoke appears to be coming from the area under where a turbo goes on a stock turbo supra. It looks like I have a huge freakin exhaust leak. Could it be my Exhaust Gas Recirculator? I once thought that it my lifters making a clicking noise, but I believe it was my EGR, because the sound is coming from under the car. Or could it be my first Cat? (I'm in California). I am so stumped..

#5 ·
Bump

#6 ·
Checked engine codes, its the EGR for the tail pipe and Oil leaking onto my exhaust pipe for the engine block.

#8 ·
I already found the little bugger of a pipe that's leaking onto my exhaust and the smoking engine has stopped. Unfortunately I have no Idea what to do about my EGR... Replace it? (How!?)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.