Supra Forums banner

****Tech Article-AP Engineering Shifter bushings from MVP Motorsports-How To Install.

13K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  V8 Killer 
#1 ·
These are the new AP Engineering shifter bushings from MVP Motorsports.

This installation will involve dropping the transmission to remove the shifter fork. I have been told you do not have to drop the tranny to install these, but we were doing the clutch so we did remove the tranny. Remove the exhaust, midpipe and downpipe.

Unbolt and drop transmission (this will not be covered in detail in this article.)

Driveshaft removed.

Transmission coming out of the vehicle.

This is your shifter fork. You can see it bolted to the transmission above. There are two bolts holding the shifter fork on. Remove those. Remove the shift knob and drop the shifter fork down and out of the car.

You can see the old Toyota bushings here and further down I am comparing the new AP Engineering bushings from MVP Motorsports, to the Toyota bushings.

See less See more
#2 ·
This next step is very easy if you have a bearing press, but you can use a vice, and a socket, or a hammer as well. Press the old bearings out of the shifter fork.

Here is the shifter fork after bushing removal.

These are what the stock bushings look like. Mine are 30k miles old.

Press the new bearings into the shifter fork using the press, or a vice, and a socket. Before you try to press the bushings in, apply some white grease to the inside of the shifter fork holes. The large end goes towards the outside, and you place one washer on each side of the bushings to bolt it back in.

Reinstall shifter fork from the top, reinstall transmission, and you're good to go. You will notice more noise and vibration from the shifter area, remember you just removed all the baffling material from the shifter fork. The shifts will be more precise though, and there will be less play in the shifter.

#3 ·
Awesome instructions Brad, thank you very much for posting it!

I need to post pics of my stock bushings, they were totally trashed.

But you did notice a nice increase in precision and a decrease in play though - even though your stock bushings were in very good condition??

Nice shirt too. :D

Dusty

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.