changed struts and now car sits higher

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: changed struts and now car sits higher

changed struts and now car sits higher

i just changed my struts and now the front of my car sits higher than b4, could it be because the way i put the bottom strut cup on(the cup that hold the bottom of the spring to the strut)? did i have to line it up sumhow and i missed it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

SupraForums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by viper92086
    i just changed my struts and now the front of my car sits higher than b4, could it be because the way i put the bottom strut cup on(the cup that hold the bottom of the spring to the strut)? did i have to line it up sumhow and i missed it?

You could have put it upside down! Make sure the "cup" thing points up with the narrowest end pointing up.

lol no it's on right i made sure of it (almost made that mistake)

.928 RWHP & Climing! Supraholics's Avatar
    How much higher??? This is normal sometimes as you now have stronger struts creating force upwards. Also loosen your bolts at the control arm (Do not take them out) re-tighten them once the car is on the floor. This might help as your bushing are not tight in an angle.

SupraForums Member nose-gobblin's Avatar
    stock? sometiems they just have to settle, sometimes not see what the MFG of the struts say.

Quote Originally Posted by MKIII-DRIFTKING
    How much higher??? This is normal sometimes as you now have stronger struts creating force upwards. Also loosen your bolts at the control arm (Do not take them out) re-tighten them once the car is on the floor. This might help as your bushing are not tight in an angle.

u might be right... i tightened the upper control arm while the car was jacked up and i tightened it very tight, i'll loosen it then tighten it like u said

Since they're like new, they will probably make your car higher for abit until they have time to settle.

-Matt

how do struts make your car sit higher tho?

how do struts make your car sit higher tho?
    if your old ones were busted or worn out then it will make the car sit lower, right now its at stock height and will settle a little lower but normal none the less.

Oldie but a Goodie
    Quote Originally Posted by GotToyota?
    Since they're like new, they will probably make your car higher for abit until they have time to settle.

-Matt
    False.

Quote Originally Posted by TaSe
    if your old ones were busted or worn out then it will make the car sit lower, right now its at stock height and will settle a little lower but normal none the less.
    Also false.

Shocks/struts don't do anything to change ride height unless they have adjustable perches. All they do is dampen the amount of jounce and rebound caused by the springs when going over bumps. If the shocks that you just put on the car are the same name/brand/model as what you had removed, there should be no change in ride height at all whatsoever.

The only other way that struts could make a car sit higher is if you purchased some that weren't meant for the car and were bottomed out with the car sitting neutral, not allowing the car to settle down to the height designated by the springs. You should realize something is wrong before this happens though because fitment during installation would be a bitch.

As others have said though, improper installation could also be the problem.

they are monroe struts so basically the same as oem, i was thinkin maybe the upper control arm is the problem like MKIII-drifting said, i know its very tight since me and my friend used a impact wrench and breaker bar to tighten it. btw the car is only about an .5 to an inch higher (just the front)

supraMoe72
    let the car settle,this is how ur car looked when it was born

they are monroe struts so basically the same as oem, i was thinkin maybe the upper control arm is the problem like MKIII-drifting said, i know its very tight since me and my friend used a impact wrench and breaker bar to tighten it. btw the car is only about an .5 to an inch higher (just the front)
    Umm . . . to tighten it I would have recomended a torque wrench? I mean my god an impact wrench and a breaker car, that is insane.

SupraForums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MKIII-DRIFTKING
    I read in the TSRM to tighten the front control arms once the car is sitting on the ground, but how in the world would you reach it? The tire would be blocking me from gaining access to it! Unless you took a jack and compressed each front shock with the control arm then tightened them??

Unless you took a jack and compressed each front shock with the control arm then tightened them??
    *Ding**Ding*

WINNER!

Take a jackstand and put it under the LCA then let down the jack. Tighten the bolts, raise the car. Repeat on the other side.

SupraForums Member
    actually, a shock can increase ride hight

take a shock out of the box and take the band that is holding it compressed off and watch it extend, proof right there

But I'm betting it's the control arm on his car, it will either settle after going over some good bumps or he can just do it like the TSRM...

Oldie but a Goodie
    Quote Originally Posted by Poodles
    actually, a shock can increase ride hight

take a shock out of the box and take the band that is holding it compressed off and watch it extend, proof right there

But I'm betting it's the control arm on his car, it will either settle after going over some good bumps or he can just do it like the TSRM...
    You think that because the shock extends with no pressure applied that it will increase the ride height of a car? If you can compress a shock with just the strength of your hands/arms... how do you expect that to hold a car up? (assuming you aren't the incredible hulk)

Shocks/struts (unless they have adjustable perches, are installed improperly, or have perches at a different level than the previous shock/strut, ie are not the right strut for the application) do NOT change ride height. Springs are what dictate a car's ride height since they bear the weight of the vehicle. Shocks don't bear any weight, they merely dampen the jounce and rebound effects of the springs.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisco
    You think that because the shock extends with no pressure applied that it will increase the ride height of a car? If you can compress a shock with just the strength of your hands/arms... how do you expect that to hold a car up? (assuming you aren't the incredible hulk)

Shocks/struts (unless they have adjustable perches, are installed improperly, or have perches at a different level than the previous shock/strut, ie are not the right strut for the application) do NOT change ride height. Springs are what dictate a car's ride height since they bear the weight of the vehicle. Shocks don't bear any weight, they merely dampen the jounce and rebound effects of the springs.

you would be correct about changing ride height.
    BUT with installation of brand new struts the car will infact sit a tad bit higher then say a car with worn and aged struts. After we did a strut job on my buddies n/a we could fit a coke can between the fender wells. Now of course we can't cause it's been sometime since we installed them and they wore in some. But overtime stuts will "sag". It's not a matter of inches but they will slightly drop nothing dramatic.

I would have to imagine that the force of struts/shocks is capable of raising the height an insignificant amount, but an amount none-the-less.

+ Reply to Thread