22re a interference motor??

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 22re a interference motor??

what would jesus drift? pimptrizkit's Avatar

22re a interference motor??

hey guys, i just sold my 22r celica to a friend and he drove it 15 miles and parked it, and goes back out to start the car and it wont start, cranks but no start, i go to the store and buy a can of starting fluid, and it doesn't fire up,

one guy who was out side when it hppened said h heard what sounded like rod knock.

so im assuming the timming belt went on him when he was starting it up after the drive.

i have priced a kit, it's a little over 55 bucks,

so does any one know if any other damage could have been done by loosing the chain on start up?

btw while cranking i dont hear any claking or rod sounds...

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

SupraForums Member
    Check for spark?

_Ian

Mp51998
    When the timing chain went out on my 22RE in the truck it was the same symptoms. I tried cranking and cranking. There was no damage done even though the chain was bunched up on the crank sprocket. However it did chip the inside of the timing chain cover a little. Not enough to replaced. Took me about six to eight hours to do but it was my first time and in a truck so standing up and working around the grill was a pain. Should be easier in a car.

www.celica-gts.com

Pretty sure it's non-interferance though.

slowest restoration ever miekedmr's Avatar
    That's the only thing I don't like about 22RE's, the timing stuff is wimpy in all the later ones. They use nylon guides and a single row chain after a certain year, when it used to be metal guides and double. You're almost guaranteed to find pieces of the guides in the pan after a while.
    A couple places have aftermarket conversions to the double setup or tougher chain guides for the single chain.
    Last edited by miekedmr; 05-27-2006 at 11:15 AM.

83 and up had single chain.

SupraForums Member
    22R /22RE are interference. Sometimes you get lucky and don't bend valves, but pretty often you do. That's why it's essential to keep on top of the timing chains in them.

what year 22RE?

Regardless they are INTERFERNACE ENGINES...... however, you have about a 50% chance of bending valves if the chain slips. The chain slips because with the newer single row chain motors the plastic guides for the chain wear though, and then the chain starts to rub the timing cover.... this results in 2 things.... the chain either slips, or the chain wear through the cover and coolant starts leaking into the oil.

As miekedmr stated... LC makes a double run upgrade... however its a little costly... your best solution would be to get a new chain and run a set of aftermaket metal guids from doaracing, or engnbldr.com

Feel free to p/m me with any questions... I know these things pretty well

you can see a new metal guide in this pic:

and this is a turbo 22re that I just got running

well it let go on start up and died right away so im praying nothing got f-ed up..

it's an 84 and i had it apart once, it's a single row, and i belive it's steel gears..

SupraForums Member
    northwest offroad makes a complete kit to do the conversion also...

I had an 82' toyota 4x4, that damn engine never quit...

isn't that a stock supra bypass valve on that turboed 22re? was it already turboed? I know they made a turbo 22re for like one year....

Aight Peace
    Just out of curiosity, why is this in the Mk3 section??? aight peace

SMFL
    Regardless they are INTERFERNACE ENGINES...... however, you have about a 50% chance of bending valves if the chain slips. The chain slips because with the newer single row chain motors the plastic guides for the chain wear though, and then the chain starts to rub the timing cover.... this results in 2 things.... the chain either slips, or the chain wear through the cover and coolant starts leaking into the oil.
    I was going to say, I see you have replaced the chain before. Then I saw your pictures.

The plastic guides were done for noise reasons. And yes, when your 22RE is making the heavy ticking, that is the chain eating into the cover from bouncing all over the place.

Dont question the good Dr red88turbo's Avatar
    the turbo 22R was made from 1984-1988 in SR5 4x4 pickup's. they were five speed stick or four speed auto. They made 120-130HP and about the same amount of torque through 5-6PSI. I own a 88 22r and i changed the timing chain, guides, front mail seal, water pump, all the seals and gaskets to the valve train at about 110,000 miles. It was just beginning to wear into the guides when i did it, and i distinctively remember hearing the chain slapping and ticking worse every day. Best PM i ever did. Now with 185k on her, its time to adjust the valves, adjust the carb, and throw on some LC engineering headers.

BTW, why is this in the MKIII section??

umm , randomiess i supose, i just needed an awnser faily quick, i couldn't find me book,

and i had the gut feeling some of the gear heads in here would know my awnser .

hey at least i didn't put it in the 2jz section LOL>....

mod, if you want delet or move is fine.

Over 10 years on SF.... SupraOfDoom's Avatar
    Is the 1JZ , or 7M non-interference?
    1987 Toyota Supra Turbo 5 Speed Targa
    --------------------------

i heard the 7m is a non-interference motor, but im sure some one else will chim in and correct me if im wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Poodles
    isn't that a stock supra bypass valve on that turboed 22re? was it already turboed? I know they made a turbo 22re for like one year....
    They did make a factory turbo 22ret... my isn't, it is a bottom end out of a 94 2wd, ebay 22rte pistons, and a full rebuild kit from engnbldr. I an engine harness for an 87 pickup, a turbo ecu,turbo injectors from an 86 (which got sent out for a rebuild) a used ct-20 and manifold off ebay, grabed a 22rte AFM off ebay too. I used the head and intake off the 89, however had to swap the thermostat housing for an eariler one that has the sensor port. I then decided to run the newer style 89+ throttle body as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Shred
    I was going to say, I see you have replaced the chain before. Then I saw your pictures.

The plastic guides were done for noise reasons. And yes, when your 22RE is making the heavy ticking, that is the chain eating into the cover from bouncing all over the place.
    Very true... its a good iddication of missing guides.... and yea... I have changed a few!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pimptrizkit
    i heard the 7m is a non-interference motor, but im sure some one else will chim in and correct me if im wrong.
    7m = non-interferance

I know the 22-RE is an interferance motor because that's how my 83 celica died. It would not start so i cranked and cranked and cranked. After some investigating i found out that it was in fact the timing chain and the guide was broken and it was plastic, and it did wear into the side of the head.
    Anyway that's when i found this link, mostly used for the engine stuff because it's the same engine int he celicas and the pickups and 4 runners.

http://personal.utulsa.edu/~nathan-buchanan/93fsm/

That's the first time i've used the link since then lol
    I"ll pm you to make sure you get this.

thnx alot, if it's broke im probaly gona get a broke car back.. wich i hope doesn't happen..

+ Reply to Thread