Fresh Paint Job... some dull spots

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fresh Paint Job... some dull spots

Lurker

Fresh Paint Job... some dull spots

I just got my car back from paint. It was burgundy before and I had the color changed to Jet Black. To be honest, I'm not really happy with the outcome of the job. It looks great at night.. but when it's in the sun light you can see dull spots throughout. My front bumper looks dull and the paint feels "chalky". There are also some "chalky" parts along the rear bumper and along the hood. I don't know whether this is due to poor wet sanding/buffing, but the guy who painted said that he will come out and buff my car up again in 2 months (the paint needs to cure?). I can't stand having my car looking the way it is right now.. he advised me to not wax or use any type of chemical on the paint until it cures. Only light soap and water is recommended, but I have to dry it immediately.

Now my question is.. will the dull spots go away after buffing? Is it true that I can't really touch the paint until it cures? Are there any steps I can take to reduce the appearance of the dull spots? Any help is appreciated.. thanks!

Always on pump gas... ChallenSup's Avatar
    give him the time and let him come buff it.

Chances are it will come out, the ''dull, chalky'' spots are most likely where it was previously wetsanded and not fully buffed out.

If its still shitty after he buffs it, then go back on him and make him redo it.

Is it stick? Is it turbo? SupraMeng's Avatar
    Need pics of the dull spots.

Quote Originally Posted by mk34o8
    I just got my car back from paint. It was burgundy before and I had the color changed to Jet Black. To be honest, I'm not really happy with the outcome of the job. It looks great at night.. but when it's in the sun light you can see dull spots throughout. My front bumper looks dull and the paint feels "chalky". There are also some "chalky" parts along the rear bumper and along the hood. I don't know whether this is due to poor wet sanding/buffing, but the guy who painted said that he will come out and buff my car up again in 2 months (the paint needs to cure?). I can't stand having my car looking the way it is right now.. he advised me to not wax or use any type of chemical on the paint until it cures. Only light soap and water is recommended, but I have to dry it immediately.

Now my question is.. will the dull spots go away after buffing? Is it true that I can't really touch the paint until it cures? Are there any steps I can take to reduce the appearance of the dull spots? Any help is appreciated.. thanks!

If it "feels" chalky, then it's a bunch of "dry spots".

If it just LOOKS chalky, then yes, it's a bunch of spots that were sanded and only half-ass rebuffed.

His advice is all accurate though...so take comfort in that.
    Based on what you say "feels" chalky ---> (actually rough is the better adjective...???) is what I'd call orange peel without seeing it.
    "Looking" chalky is what a dull (hazy/cloudy) spot will look like when you sand the paint and don't completely bring back all of the clear's clarity 100% -----> a lazy or unprofessional buffer guy.

In any case, it's always BEST to wait for the paint to cure before performing the ol sand-and-polish. Waiting 1 week is better than waiting 1/2 week......waiting 4 weeks is better than waiting only 2 weeks.....waiting 2 months is better than waiting only 1 month. Just depends on how much time you and the painter have to kill. This also depends on how much heat the paint will see during the cure phase.

Yes, fresh paint is very sensitive to staining ----> from bird shit, or water spots or whatever.....and is amplified if sitting in the sun! After a paintjob, you basically need to keep it covered from any sort of harsh contact.
    Before paint is 100% cure, it's "soft" and is more easily etched.

There's nothing YOU can do to take care of the problem, unless you know exactly how to sand and buff paint - at a professional level.
    His advice is good/normal/honest, so I'd let him continue to deal with it. Hopefully, he's a good polisher

Back to the real issue at hand. If the car does have "dry spots" (rather than just "looking" dull/hazy), then what that's from is when the clearcoat doesn't get "slicked out" during the painting. It's simply a spot or strip of rough clear caused by not overlapping the pattern enough or that he was moving to fast while spraying the clear -----> in a nutshell, it's orange peel. See what I mean?

The cure is to sand and polish....which is good anyway since that removes dirt particles and any other orange peel etc etc. And if you want the car to look as perfect as possible, then the key is to do the entire car, not just spot it with the sand-and-buff treatment.

The underlying drawback to this is that painters generally CAN'T STAND to buff. It's like having to prep a bumper or miscellaneous parts/pieces ---> it's truly a pain in the ass. So it's hard to find a guy to deliver a killer sand-and-buff job. Combine that with a guy that's just lazy to begin with, and you have yourself a quick sand-and-buff treatment.

If you can, let us know what steps he plans to use to do this for you.

edit:
    I forgot to tell you the logic behind waiting for cure time to finish. The reason for waiting on cure is so that the paint stops shrinking. Shrinkage is the action that takes place as the solvents in the paint materials finish evaporating, and the paint getting harder.
    Imagine sanding and polishing the paint just a couple of days after spraying. Now the paint looks prettier and slicker, right? Sure it does. Now watch the paint's clarity for the next 1-2 months. Each week, the clarity will fall more and more.....because the paint is still trying to finish curing and "sucking up" into ALL the layers of material underneath. Well, a month or two down the road, you're unhappy with the results again, and need to SAND the paint all over again ----> now you have even LESS clearcoat thickness on the paintjob, and the entire process must be repeated. Now there's less paint, and more chances of the guy burning through the clear during the polishing.
    Ever notice a bondo ring under a paintjob? That's the visual definition of "shrinking" or "sucking up".
    It all goes even a little deeper than this, but you get the idea now.

sean
    Last edited by blkturbo!; 06-05-2006 at 04:37 PM.

Banned
    ya give the paint a chance to cure and hit it with the porter cable.
    Polish it out and you'll be good.

SupraForums Member
    very nice pic, any more pics?

+ Reply to Thread