new MKIII supra hood to be designed by raceonusa

+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Thread: new MKIII supra hood to be designed by raceonusa

Holy crap, this thread is still going?

Why is the debate so hard to figure out.

Proven facts:
    1) The forward facing scoops and ducting just adds more air under the hood, screwing up your downforce and not cooling the engine more effectively either.
    2) CF is in high demand, so it's unlikely that we will see CF hoods under 600.00 anytime soon for the MK3.
    3) We have a header panel with the leading edges of our cowl hood design built in that have to be considered in any design. Either tie your hood into them, or the hood will look like shit. End of discussion.

Design goals:
    1) Lighter weight hood. (Can be kevlar and fiberglass for all I care.)
    2) Any vents have to be functional.
    3) Any screen has to be aluminum since I hate rusty steel ones.
    4) Hood should look good open, or closed. The underside has to be neat and tidy, and can't have bonding compound and resin, or uncut fibers sticking out all over.

My proposal:
    1) Three vented areas.
    a. The two side vents are a series of four vents at a slight angle like the "white" car with the modified stock hood.
    b. The center vent is exactly like the "blue" car's with a reverse vent that is open right over the space between the stock radiator shroud and the cams.

If done right, the center vent will pull much of the hot air exiting the radiator area out of the engine bay, and the side vents will pull additional air out along the sides of the engine. This will promote better air flow over your turbo, and the intake manifold, keeping everything cooler as a result.

Make this hood from Kevlar/Fiberglass and keep the price under 600.00 and I'd buy one.

Add all the funky angled and dammed up slits and NACA ducts, and I will not spend a dime. There are plenty of the funky ones available. Please do not try and vent the hood anywhere past the strut towers however. That will just push more air into the engine bay at speed. (Just like the guys who remove the rear weather strip and then shim up the rear of the hood find out. Counter productive at highway speeds for sure.)

Quote Originally Posted by ShineAutoProject
    Keep it clean and simple.........can't go wrong

I'm down for this hood too... the vent could be placed anywhere between where it is now, to maybe 12" further back. If someone makes that for a reasonable price, I'm sold, ready to buy right now All we need to work on is an 88 front bumper and lip!!

Over 10 years on SF.... SupraOfDoom's Avatar
    After threads like this its no wonder things never happen.
    1987 Toyota Supra Turbo 5 Speed Targa
    --------------------------

Why would you say that? Seems to me after reading every post that at least 50% of people like the blue one above... if that was made I think we'd have lots of buyers. If it was ready to ship I'd buy it right now.

Sweet, 50% like the hood, and 10% will be willing to pay for it. I can be proven wrong but just my guess. Where are the companies thoughts?

No company is going to create a hood, at all. Especially not this way. What supraofdoom says is correct. Only half of the ppl actually like the blue hood and 10% of those ppl are actually willing to pay for it. If that much. Cuz' there's a good chance that the price will have to be set so high for the company to break even that those 10% will disappear in moments, saying that mk3 parts are too expensive and rare.

there is a hood on izzle-bay if ya havent already seen it. Vented Fiberglass

like everyone is saying, there aren't enough people who would spend the kind of money on a aftermarket hood, who can agree on one to make it worth any companies efforts. that is why there is such a limited amount of body kits/hoods/etc available for our car. if you want a nice hood. best bet is custom.

RIP 86.5 N/A, Hello 90T SupraMkiii24's Avatar
    Im going to be making my own 2" cowled hood. No one else makes it and its the only one I feel fits my liking. I love the semi stock looking yet aggressive looking hood.

~Dan

Quote Originally Posted by SupraMkiii24
    Im going to be making my own 2" cowled hood. No one else makes it and its the only one I feel fits my liking. I love the semi stock looking yet aggressive looking hood.

~Dan
    No one makes it ANYMORE

Well if one isn't made, I'll make it myself (I mean take it to a body place that specializes in custom fabrications). My body work will be done this winter. I'll just have to find someone that can make a nice front bumper to match.

So if someone wants to step up and make these before December or at least make a couple just enough to pay for a mold or whatever and break even so they can take pictures, I'll buy one. Then they can have things ready in order to make them more quickly for other future orders on a need-to-order basis, without worrying about inventory expenses.

Granted you may not sell 10 today... but if you make it, take good photos and people can see your work and know they can order something whenever they want 4-6 weeks ahead of when they need it, they could potentially get 10-15 orders per year?
    Last edited by born2drv; 07-30-2006 at 09:25 PM.

ok i am going to start a new thread with a poll w/ pictures to choose from so they can get started in the production of the hood. just fyi dont exepect to see this hood any time soon it is going to take months to produce but will get produced
    Last edited by mark52cents; 08-02-2006 at 04:54 AM.

i found the hood i want... and it fits the criteria most, if not all, of the tasteful modders on here ask for.

reverse facing drop-out scoop to vent radiator heat discharge
    smaller reverse facing NACA scoop to vent stagnant air over the Downpipe
    No other stupid vents, cutouts or mesh
    No useless forward-facing scoops to create a high pressure zone in the engine bay
    No useless cowl induction feeding air to a Carburetor that doesnt exist.
    HOWEVER; i would highly recommend the addition of another Reverse-facing NACA duct to vent stagnant air over the brake master cylinder in an effort to cool the fluid.

this hood is for an FC3S rx7, and also for use with a V-mount intercooler/radiator setup, proven to work WELL on the FC application. im not using a V-mount at this time, but ive removed the clutch fan and stock shroud and converted to contour fans. so, dropping the vent right forward of the cam cover and the rear edge of the cutout ending ahead of the fan belts... or just molding in a rain gutter.

looks great fluby! now if someone would make that for us.....<sigh>
    MKIII Technical Information Depot: www.mkiiitech.com

yeah, i dont give a shit if its CF because i would paint it anyways. raw CF pattern has never really struck a chord in my mind. i just like the weight savings. but the difference of a few pounds between a CF skin and FRP/glass hood is negligible and not worth a $200 bump in price, IMO. maybe someone will "Shit or get off the pot" and make a non-gaudy hood!

so what happened to this? anyone going to make it? can anyone make me the hood from the blue car even if it's just for me for at a premium price?!?!?!??!?! if it helps to get this blue hood made, I'll take 3 of them!!

SOMEONE has to be in the business of making hoods around here......

Just like any other MK3 thing here... everyone is excited then a 14 page thread arises only to die off the second they're supposed to pay

Anyway, i took a good look around in the thread and i build my very own custom hood... out of a stock hood.

SupraForums Member
    that blue's widebody is so hott...just the fenders though. What headlight set up is the black one, or you tihnk its costum?

7M 2JZ bird in pear tree Orion ZyGarian's Avatar
    Its custom...look for "SupraNick" or "SupraNikoli" I think is what it is now...misspelled, I'm sorry..

I've been trying to work on a scoop for the intake...something along the lines of protruding a bit over the passenger headlight, but it just keeps looking ugly in photoshop. I still have an early Z31 300ZX turbo hood scoop from my previous hood, so I tested it out on my hood...kinda looks out of place but does look better than the photoshops. Its hard to make something look good, clean, and stock without it being symmetrical, especially when it is reverse from the stock cowl
    Last edited by Orion ZyGarian; 10-07-2006 at 12:30 PM.

yah i tihnk its costum... i kown flo sjo !

SupraForums Member
    heres 200ZR hood scoops on MK3 supra. 200ZR is the Z31 with RB25DET in it so basically same body as USDM Z31. Oh yea Z32 front end conversion, but dont look at that it was a science expirement gone wrong , i wont do it again.

SupraForums Member
    Quote Originally Posted by flubyux2
    i found the hood i want... and it fits the criteria most, if not all, of the tasteful modders on here ask for.

reverse facing drop-out scoop to vent radiator heat discharge
    smaller reverse facing NACA scoop to vent stagnant air over the Downpipe
    No other stupid vents, cutouts or mesh
    No useless forward-facing scoops to create a high pressure zone in the engine bay
    No useless cowl induction feeding air to a Carburetor that doesnt exist.
    HOWEVER; i would highly recommend the addition of another Reverse-facing NACA duct to vent stagnant air over the brake master cylinder in an effort to cool the fluid.

this hood is for an FC3S rx7, and also for use with a V-mount intercooler/radiator setup, proven to work WELL on the FC application. im not using a V-mount at this time, but ive removed the clutch fan and stock shroud and converted to contour fans. so, dropping the vent right forward of the cam cover and the rear edge of the cutout ending ahead of the fan belts... or just molding in a rain gutter.

this will work but how will you make this look good on an MKIII hood with the 2 lines down the center? We've made a hood that works great for the FC community. We can do it for the MKIII community as well if the design is right.

SupraForums Member
    My proposal:
    1) Three vented areas.
    a. The two side vents are a series of four vents at a slight angle like the "white" car with the modified stock hood.
    b. The center vent is exactly like the "blue" car's with a reverse vent that is open right over the space between the stock radiator shroud and the cams.

I think this is a good idea..... Anyone care to photoshop one up?

no more photoshop, just build it! (that's pretty hard to photoshop by the way)

shine, can you make the blue one... or just a stock one out of lightweight fiberglass that i can have a shop modify it to look like the blue one? i don't want to modify a stock hood. or make the one you're thinking about and if i like it i'll buy it.

there are 2 types of people here ti seems, those that want something very simple/functional like me, and those that want some hardcore modified hood. if you made that one you're talking about try and keep all the vents very subtle looking so it doesn't look too busy to keep the simple/functional group happy.

thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ShineAutoProject
    this will work but how will you make this look good on an MKIII hood with the 2 lines down the center? We've made a hood that works great for the FC community. We can do it for the MKIII community as well if the design is right.
    i don't see any problem w/putting the vent on the FC on the MKIII, you just need to interrupt the "cowl" on the stock hood....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast