Supra Forums banner

Auto rear end or 6 spd. rear end

1K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  chevyeater-on-sf 
#1 ·
I am going to buy a 94 supra. The car was originally an automatic. The guy who had the car also had a 6 spd. so he swapped out the 6spd. tranny with the auto tranny. So the car is now a 6 spd. The question i have is the rear end is still an automatic. He told me that I have the choice of leaving it as a auto rear or he also has the 6spd. rear (off of the same car he took the 6 spd. tranny off of) to put on the car. What are your opions and experiences?

thanks
cole

#4 ·
well see if you can get both cause the 6 speed rearend is worth more money. I have heard talk about auto rearends giving you more down low grunt comepared to 6 speed rear. I have a auto rearend with the 6 speed and it rapps out preatty quick.

#11 ·
well, i see a lot of mixed feelings. I personally don't know too much about the supras yet. I know the basics and the rear end is not one of the basics. Its more for drag racing. I won't drive the shit out of it but some nights it might see alot of abuse.
I have heard from somebody the auto will help me with some more down low power. I am sure it doesn't make a huge difference, so in this case i am looking for a good solid rear end that can handle the power. I don't know which can take more abuse or handle more and last longer. So i guess that is what i am looking for, which one will take the abuse and last longer.

I appreciate all the help and let me know on this

#15 ·
I have an auto rear with a 6spd. The gears are way too short for my tastes. I'm cruising through neighborhoods in 4th gear. With a 4" HKS Ti it's really annoying. I'm going to switch if I can locate a decent 6spd diff.

#16 ·
I thought the auto rear ends were weaker? Is the diff casing the same as the 6spd?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.