power steering pump seized?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: power steering pump seized?

SupraForums Member

power steering pump seized?

how can you tell if your power steering pump gets seized? I was driving the car and all of the sudden you hear a noise and the power steering pump fan belt was shredded. I put a new belt on noticed that it seemed to be getting hard to turn, especially at low rpm. My son drives the car and says he thinks the power steering pump is going out - I look down and no fanbelt again. In both instances, there is power steering fluid all over the power steering fluid resevoir and down the inside of the engine compartment. The power steering pump wheel seems to spin freely. If the power steering pump seized, would you still be able to turn the wheel freely?

2. Remove Advertisements
    SupraForums.com
    Advertisements

SupraForums Member
    guys??

put a belt on it have someone turn the wheel while you look at it. WEAR EYE PROTECTION and if it brakes then just replace the whole pump.

SupraForums Member
    an Atsco power steering pump with a lifetime warranty from autozone for $111 - my pump is about 4 years old with about 50k miles (and it was a reman, a friend of mine that is a mechanic that helped me put on a new ISC valve said he thought the pump might be going bad) - thinking about just replacing the pump and put a filter on it and call it a day. Also going to check the alignment of the belts real well

+ Reply to Thread